“It was an okay Thai place but got expensive with new ownership”
Review of Bangkok Chef

Bangkok Chef
Ranked #1,143 of 9,028 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed December 31, 2015

The place always had okay food and since Thai alternatives are non-existent in downtown walking distance, they will do in a pinch. Usually prompt service, usually decent food, but they do mess up orders, forgot appetizers, forget refills, etc when it gets packed. Also, the place has ALWAYS been smokey which is annoying when you go back to work and smell like you've been in a kitchen. To make things worse, the new owners raised the price of food by about two dollars per lunch menu item.

Reviewed December 2, 2015 via mobile

My family and l went to eat at Bangkok for the first time tonight. I actually look for places to eat here in TripAdvisor and saw this Thai food with good reviews so l gave it a change and you know lm glad l did. Food and prices were good. I had the fry rice with crab and shrimp it was the best fry rice l ever had

Reviewed May 31, 2015

I have been spoilt recently having eaten at the a great Thai restaurant in Cypresswood, the Golden Bowl, thus to eat here at the Bangkok Chef a second time was a real let down.

It is somewhat hidden off Westheimer, and it is nicely ambient inside. Sadly there is nothing that jumps off the menu and says 'eat me'. The menu is typical Thai, just nothing original. At best, I rate this as a café rather than a restaurant.

The food came so fast it left me wondering if it was even cooked from scratch, thus I doubt it was.

The shrimp & chicken Won Ton was expected to be wrapped in filo pastry, but it was breaded a quite greasy. My soup was the chicken and coconut, which was so salty, I could not consume it, and that the waitress (co-owner?) never even remarked why I left it.

We ordered two entree's, Sweet & Sour King Prawn and a Sweet & Sour Pork. So how I ended up with chicken and king prawn, is a complete mystery. The king prawn were identical to the so called won ton we ordered to begin with!

Basically, the sauce was so full of glutton, and it almost set as a gel on the plate.

We did get some orange pieces as a complimentary finish, but we paid up vowing not to return. The musician who sang thru a karaoke machine, had a decent voice, he was just a bit loud.

Frankly, a sad and disappointing meal.

Reviewed April 21, 2015 via mobile

This review is for the family's second restaurant in Royal Oaks in West Houston. Authentic dishes, diverse menu, great lunch specials, and fast service. Now serving decent sushi and opened Sundays again.

Reviewed February 3, 2015 via mobile

We go here for lunch quite often. Food is served fast, tasty and reasonably priced. Staff keep changing, but all are very nice and polite.
The location is little obstructed from westheimer road, look for it, it is worth finding it.