“Fantastic feat of fine fusion”
Review of Oxheart

Oxheart
Ranked #467 of 8,312 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We are native Houstonians with a restaurant in Houston that gathers Texas's best ingredients, cooked in a focused, creative way. Our restaurant is our home, so please come as you are to relax, eat, and drink. We look forward to having you join us for dinner.
Reviewed 7 October 2016

Oxheart was a very pleasant surprise of delicious and creative dishes. We selected one of each menu, so had the opportunity to try 9 different courses (between the two of us) and I can honestly say they were all excellent, some even exceptional. The only critique I have is the overpricing of the beverage pairings: we were charged $35 per person for three 3-4oz servings (of cider or wine, depending on the course), which is frankly ridiculous. $75 for the meal, however, is reasonable considering the hight quality of the dishes.

There are newer reviews for Oxheart

Reviewed 26 August 2016

It's all about creativity at Oxheart. A meal here will consist of ingredients you don't typically have together, leading to flavors you probably haven't experienced, all presented in attractively interesting ways, in a small but charming space. The service is excellent.

Reviewed 20 August 2016

We were lucky enough to get a reservation here right after their summer break. The restaurant is located in an old part of town but is fun & artsy. The choices were either the Summer or Garden menu both being 6 course tastings. We chose the Summer menu which offered fish & chicken. The Garden menu was vegetarian. The service was attentive & I enjoyed meeting the brilliant chef/owner who brought us a few of our courses. Each course was described in detail by the server. From the first course to the last, everything was divine. Very different than anything I've tasted before & delicious. The crystal dumplings in the apple broth w/ Jasmine tea & braised roselle & raw beans piqued my taste buds. Yummy! That was the first course & it just never stopped. Mung bean crepes w/ pickeled beets & burnt Onion stuffed w/ allium, potatoe skins & Miso! Such masterful creations! And the porridge of Texas grains, w/ vadouvan, cauliflower & navel oranges. Geez, I wanted more!!! The course w/ gulf snapper served before the porridge was perfect, w/ a basil -kombu broth, sqash & salted fruits! Really!! Who thinks like this? And the Freedom Ranger chicken stuffed w/ Rice & collards was tasty. The dessert was a strawberry glazed w/ mushrooms, sorghum & lime sitting next to the most delish Creme Fraiche ever! I thought my guy was going to pick up the plate & lick it clean.
They told us the menu is changing so be prepared to try new seasonal options. All I can say, Justin Yu, you're a genius!!!! I totally understand why you were the James Beard recipient this year for "Best Chef Southwest 2016" Congratulations!!
Service also deserves a reward, very attentive and personable!
Tip: when making reservation which must be done online w/ credit card securing reservation, request the bar seats, lots more action there to observe the creative team at work. This place only has 30 seats! Tight quarters, they also have beverage pairings, wine & beer, lots of yummy options to choose from.

Reviewed 17 July 2016 via mobile

My wife booked an early dinner for two of us at this restaurant. We got early, quite clear info about parking and had no problem to find the place as it has clearly displayed street number on the door. Yes, no sign but it really doesn't matter and in fact makes it more interesting to find. Place is small and very similar to many new restaurants one can find in London and Paris. Excellent welcoming and just right attention from friendly staff. I had a Summer menu and my wife had the Garden. We choose our own wine. As expected from the proper restaurant of such setup, portions were small, yet delicious and didn't leave us hungry afterwards. All dishes were very tasty if not excellent. Overall a definite culinary experience and something different from a typical Houston oversized menus in large and noisy establishments. It's pricey but comparable to a one Michelin star restaurants of Europe. Well done!

Reviewed 17 July 2016 via mobile

Not your everyday food:). You can eat tacos, burgers or pizza every night of the week but what you experience at Oxheart is the amazing combination of every day food prepared with exquisite twist! We were in heaven! From the first course all the way through dessert! Well worth booking and going!