“Amazing, Interesting, and Romantic Dinner Date”
Review of Oxheart

Oxheart
Ranked #470 of 8,312 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We are native Houstonians with a restaurant in Houston that gathers Texas's best ingredients, cooked in a focused, creative way. Our restaurant is our home, so please come as you are to relax, eat, and drink. We look forward to having you join us for dinner.
Reviewed 14 November 2016

My Fiance' brought me to an amazing multi-course meal with wine pairings for my Birthday. I couldn't have asked for more of an eclectic combination of flavors! Chef Justin Yu is most definitely an artist in his craft.

There are newer reviews for Oxheart

Reviewed 23 October 2016

This is the most unusual location for a real life foodie dream come true near downtown next to I-10. The head chef has of course been recognized as a James Beard Award nominee. Three choices: Vegetarian, or with meat, and with/without wine paring. Really one of the best meals in Houston, try it!

Reviewed 23 October 2016

I enjoyed eating here at Oxheart and appreciate the creativity and originality that the chefs are going for. I had never experienced anything quite like the dishes I was served. It was a casual setting almost to the point of too casual for this price point but nonetheless, I felt relaxed and able to enjoy the meal. I think the food is very good with a special mention to the more comforty food items we had like the porridge and the chicken dish. That was divine. The dessert which involved some cucumber coulis was not so great but I tend to like more pastry - French/American styled desserts. Again it was original and creative, just not something I would ever order again. I think this place is best for foodies who want to go for an event. One could walk away being hungry if they don't eat all of the courses.

Reviewed 16 October 2016

My husband likes to give his business partner the run down on the restaurants we eat at so I like to use his review on here because it is both of our opinions mixed into one.
Had a very enjoyable dinner at Oxheart on Friday. Not a single bust in the dishes tasted, only one meh, most very good, a couple outstanding. Service was again very knowledgeable and the counter table is my kind of place to watch a meal being prepared and plated. This was probably my favorite of my four Oxheart experiences. Wife got the Garden menu, and I got the Autumn menu. 4 of the 6 courses were the same. As usual, we shared the courses that didn’t come on our individual menu.
Ranking of the dishes with comments

1. Bush Beans cooked Granma-style with steamed Chines Long Beans, dried tomato and early autumn herbs – best dish of the night. Tasted like a Chinese long bean Bolognese. Very flavorful with the green beans giving a great texture also.
2. Porridge of Texas grains, vadouvan, cauliflower and Navel oranges – There were three different grains with different textures that really worked well together. One was creamy like a grit, one was more like tapioca, or like the texture of a pearl couscous, and the third was more hearty with some good chew. The Vadouven spice is an Indian curry type spice which we really like.
3. Golden Tilefish “a scapece” with a basil kombu broth, squash, salted fruits – “a scapece” was described as a cooking technique where the fish is steamed, and then finished in acid, sort of like a ceviche. This dish is the one depicted on the front of the current Top 100 book. The broth was fine, and actually got better with each bite, but the star was the fish. Outstanding flavor and texture.
4. Mung bean crepe stuffed with corn and alliums, potato skins and miso, with pickled beets and burnt onions. If I could eat beets like this all the time I would become a beet fanatic. Sliced very thin with a mild pickle – awesome. The mung bean crepe was very good, and made me wonder how they come up with the dishes they do. To stuff the crepe with corn, onions and potato skins. Not sure how that pops into someone’s mind.
5. Freedom Ranger chicken, stuffed with rice and collard greens with a jus of chicken and dried shellfish. The chicken was very good, and is only this far down the list because the other dishes were just better. The chicken was deboned and rolled around the rice and collards and then slow roasted. Came out looking like a porchetta with crispy skin. Very moist for white meat chicken.
6. Galia melon sorbet, cream cheese mousse, lemongrass and freshly juiced cucumber – very light dessert course. Good taste and texture. Couldn’t necessarily taste the lemongrass, which is a thai flavor we enjoy.
7. Slowly roasted carrots with cured, smoked carrots, celery, and a white onion, black pepper emulsion – There was not consensus among the both of us where this dish should rank. I really liked the taste and texture of the dish. My wife found it too rich. For my taste, it would have ranked above the dessert, but I moved it down here because of my wife's feelings. The emulsion was a very rich flavor.
8. Golden Delicious apple broth and roselle, cranberry hibiscus and Oyster mushrooms – This was the only take it or leave it dish. It was fine. I’m still not sold on cold or room temperature soups. I do like Oyster mushrooms, but I think it needed more.
Not rated – A very delicious bread course with butter that came out during the middle of the meal. Just outstanding crunchy exterior, soft tasty interior sourdough. We will continue to visit Oxheart 1-2 times a year because the food is always outstanding and memorable along with fantastic service.

Reviewed 7 October 2016 via mobile

Very expensive dinner and not worth the price tag. If you have any type of appetite, consider somewhere else. Despite 6 courses it was not vaguely filling. The paired alcohol was slow and little in quantity which disappointed us as we were there for a celebration. The courses took a long time despite it being a tiny restaurant. I took my wife for her birthday, tasting menus are our thing but this one really missed the mark. Courses were trying too hard to be hipster or artsy and ended by being wholly unmemorable... Until the credit card bill comes through $350.