“Possibly the best brunch in Houston”
Review of Hugo's

Hugo's
Ranked #36 of 8,551 Restaurants in Houston
Price range: US$21 - US$35
Cuisines: Mexican, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Neighbourhood: Neartown/ Montrose
Description: Located in the heart of Houston's Montrose area, Hugo's brings the exciting and earthy flavors of Mexico across the border. “Authentic Mexican cooking is a world-class cuisine that has remained virtually unchanged by the outside world," says Executive Chef Hugo Ortega of his native cuisine. "The food is as light and fresh as a seafood cocktail prepared by fishermen on the beach; as deep and complex as the moles of Oaxaca made with an astounding number of ingredients; and as earthy as the simplest handmade corn tortilla." With the opening of his namesake restaurant in 2002, Ortega journeyed full-circle to rediscover the foods of his homeland. The menu features traditional dishes from the many regions of Mexico, all made from scratch in Mexican tradition, including various cheeses, moles, tortillas and chocolate. The restaurant is also known for its stellar award-winning wine program, cocktail list and tequila menu.
Reviewed August 19, 2017 via mobile

Having 8-year old twins, brunches are something we very carefully approach since they are rather finicky with what they eat. When my wife said "Let's go to Hugo's for brunch" all the vivid memories "too spicy", "don't like seafood", "I want mac and cheese" came to my mind. We went and it was one of the best restaurant experiences in a long time! Food was out of his world! The kids had seafood rice and decreed that was the best "Spanish rice" ever! They had tamales, lamb, fish - all great and delicious! We are at the point where they want back there every weekend for brunch! My point - if you can please 8-year old kids outside of the mac and cheese and grilled cheese envelope of food it has to be a special place! My wife and I enjoyed the place a lot. The staff was very friendly and always on the look out if you need something! We will go back for sure! Much better than many other places we tried for brunch in Houston. Much better!

Reviewed August 19, 2017 via mobile

Came here for lunch on my last day in Houston. It was hot out but the garden was nice and it was too cold inside so we sat out there. Service was good. Lovely restaurant. The food was very good though not amazing. I like the duck carnitas and the goat but both were a bit oily. The ceviche was very nice as well.

Reviewed August 19, 2017

With such a talented chef, one would expect perfection with every visit. Hugo's always delivers. Great food, interesting drinks, and exceptional service.

Reviewed August 18, 2017

My daughter picked this restaurant for us to try while in Houston, and we really enjoyed it. The blueberry mojitos were very refreshing and the queso flameados were excellent. We shared the barbacoa and the tres leches. Everything was excellent from the food to our server. The manager took her time to come by our table for a quick visit to make sure we had enjoyed our evening even though it was an extremely busy night.

Reviewed August 17, 2017

I took the opportunity of Houston restaurants week to try out Hugo's and it sure has it's name. Food was great and so is the service.
Everything we ordered was good.