“Great seafood restaurant with unique dishes!”

Christie's Seafood & Steaks
Reserve with OpenTable
Christie's Seafood & Steaks is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #620 of 8,904 Restaurants in Houston
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Christie's Seafood & Steaks began in 1917 as a small food and drink stand on Galveston's waterfront. Now located on Westheimer Road in Houston, Christie's is Houston's oldest family restaurant, and we invite you to join us for a great meal! Come in to Christie's for fresh seafood and delicious steaks! Try our famous butterfly fried shrimp. It's made from a secret recipe that has been passed down over generations. The Remoulade sauce that accompanies the fried shrimp is from a traditional recipe from 1917. It's to die for. Bring in the whole family, and feel at home with our personable, friendly staff and comfortable atmosphere. If you have a large family or a celebration, our banquet room creates a festive backdrop for any special occasion. For almost a century, the Christie family has served the same incomparable food that made its founder, Theodore Christie, famous. Dine with us tonight to find out what it's all about!
Reviewed June 4, 2017

Christie's had really fresh, delicious seafood gumbo, crab stuffed shrimp, Greek style seafood, and awesome au gratin potatoes. The pretty decor made this a really special evening!

Kathy C, Owner at Christie's Seafood & Steaks, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2017

This is awesome to hear, Lynn! So glad you enjoyed our fresh seafood from the gumbo to the crab stuffed shrimp. And, of course, you can't go wrong with au gratin potatoes. That said, we sure hope to welcome you back for a bite again very soon.

All the best,

Reviewed May 26, 2017

We chose Christie's because of the Art Deco building and the fact that it has been around since 1917. The atmosphere is sort of "marine club," which strikes the right balance between casual and fine dining. We and other diners were casually dressed, while there were a few parties who were in "Sunday best" and everyone was appropriate.

The main dishes were excellent. My husband had the Shrimp, Oysters & Fish Greek style and pronounced it some of the best seafood he's had in this country. I had Christie's pride, a flounder with shrimp & crab dressing baked in foil. It was beautifully cooked, and the dressing was the perfect addition to what can be a bland fish.

The only disappointment was the au gratin potatoes, which in this case were chunks of potatoes in a cheese sauce, rather than the layered casserole of cheese and potatoes with browned cheese on top.

Service was prompt and adequate, but the server had a bit of a sour attitude. When I asked her whether the dressing was a bread dressing (it is), she sighed and explained to me how the fish was cooked, which I fully understood, but did not tell me what type of dressing it was. I would have selected a different side than potatoes if I'd known it was bread dressing. She also seemed irritated when we asked her questions about the history of the restaurant printed on the menu -- it gives two different dates for the opening of that location. However, it wasn't enough to ruin a lovely meal.

Kathy C, Owner at Christie's Seafood & Steaks, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2017

We are so pleased to see what an enjoyable time you and your husband had with us! It means a lot to know that all of your seafood was prepared so wonderfully, and we truly appreciate your kind words and input. There's nothing more important to us than always providing the complete five-star experience, and we sincerely look forward to showing you both that the next time you're here!

Reviewed May 22, 2017

Dined here on a recommendation. With my party of four, two of us had the seafood platter, one a ribeye steak, and one the blackened shrimp. The seafood platter had mixed results with the stuffed crab and shrimp being real good but the fish served was not very good. Also, the potatoes au gratin were lousy. The steak was reported to be above average and the blackened shrimp/dirty rice entree was excellent. The service was good and timely. The crowd there on a Saturday night looked like a lot of old-time Houston folks.

Kathy C, Owner at Christie's Seafood & Steaks, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2017

We're happy to see that your meal was a good one. And while it's wonderful that certain items such as the blackened shrimp were such a big hit, we apologize if the fish and potatoes did not hit the same mark. We certainly strive to make sure that everything on the table is prepared perfectly, and we sincerely hope to have you back here again for the true five-star experience!

All the best,

Reviewed May 21, 2017

We had a family get together yesterday at Christie's. I was in charge of the planning. Frankly, there was not much for me to do. Maria Christie is a lovely person. She made sure that there was no stress for me. Perhaps, because my family is Italian and very loud, she put us in the private dining room even though there were only 18 guests. Maria insisted that she would handle everything and she did. We were able to order from both the dinner and lunch menu (even though it was a Saturday) The restaurant allowed us to have separate checks so there was no discussion on who had what. I can't thank Maria and her staff enough for a lovely family luncheon.

Kathy C, Owner at Christie's Seafood & Steaks, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2017

This truly just made our day! We are so thrilled to know that Maria went above and beyond for your family, and we can't wait to pass your kind words and appreciation along to her. Thanks so much for everything -- we hope to see you all again some time!

Reviewed May 20, 2017

Always a pleasant experience at Christie's.
I discovered this popular restaurant about a year or so back and I make it a point to come here when I am in the area. The location is convenient, and the service is friendly, and the food is delicious.

I usually come for lunch and order the original 1917 sandwich or the seafood platter.

[Hint: the Potatoes Au Gratin are fabulous!]

I can imagine that many Houston power lunches took place here over the last 100 years.

Looking forward to my return visit!

Wow -- thank you so much! It is a real honor to be one of your Houston traditions, and your kind words are truly appreciated. Here's to doing it all over again some time soon!