“Great to Find a NY Deli”

Kenny & Ziggy's New York Deli
Ranked #15 of 8,312 Restaurants in Houston
Price range: US$1 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Great Uptown
Reviewed 4 August 2017

Being from NY and now living in the South, we don't get a lot of opportunity for a good NY deli. We were thrilled to find it when searching for a place to eat during a recent trip.

The portions are huge. Be prepared to share or take home a lot of food.

The potato pancakes were really good. I liked my roast beef sandwich and my mom enjoyed her corned beef. We also got cheesecake to go which was good but not quite as creamy as she likes it.

The menu has so many choices and even some for those less adventurous. I posted pictures of the desserts online and got a lot of positive feedback.

The server was funny. Our food was delivered as ordered. Service was a little slow at times but it gave us time to talk so we didn't mind.

The prices aren't low but you do get a lot for your money.

There are newer reviews for Kenny & Ziggy's New York Deli

Reviewed 4 August 2017

Came here for lunch.

They say breakfast all day. When I asked for egg benedict, they didn't have them. I settled for the Denver Omelette with ham, peppers and cheese. It's a huge omelette for $14.95. The taste is just okay.

Our office will order their sandwiches. I have never been impressed with them.

Their New York décor with posters is interesting.

I'm a little surprised by all the high marks.

Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

Great food with page after page of meal items. From sandwiches to hot meals and deserts. Very large portions and very good food.

Reviewed 29 July 2017 via mobile

A group of us went for lunch and were amused and amazed at the funny and lengthy menu. The boys enjoyed the hearty sandwiches while a few of us had breakfast items. I especially enjoyed the cheese blintzes. All plates were extremely generous in size so no one left unsated. Service was friendly, helpful and attentive. Their deserts are amazing. This is the type of eatery that you could frequent for years without getting bored with the selection of foods. We will be back.

Reviewed 23 July 2017

Visiting Houston for the first time, we sought places popular with the locals. Over a span of 50+ years, we’ve dined at countless Jewish delicatessens in Chicago, NYC, LA, SF, Miami Beach, and other cities. The list includes legendary spots that closed long ago. So, you might consider me a deli maven.

Indeed, K&Z’s was on my bucket list. The owner of a now-defunct NYC deli once lamented, “You can’t take a deli outta Noo Yawk and make it work in udder parts of the country – it won’t be the same!” Kenny & Ziggy’s proves him wrong. This place pretty much nails the essence of a classic Midtown Manhattan deli replete with wood paneling, celebrity caricatures adorning the walls, salamis hanging above the deli counter, and bustling servers delivering colossal portions of great food at … ah, yes, colossal prices. What they left behind in NY, thankfully, are rude servers, panhandlers, and of course the schmutz. The place is squeaky-clean if not Disneyesque, but otherwise feels genuine.

The menu is a fun and tantalizing read brimming with schtick. Punsters must’ve had a field day concocting silly sandwich names like “Beauty and the Beef” or “Luck be a Latke.” There is no bread basket, but they serve a complimentary dish of Brooklyn-ish pickles (more sour & briny than most). A bagel chip accompanied my cup of thick, aromatic mushroom barley soup. The corned beef and pastrami, made in-house, are stupendous. Those meats are served on seeded rye bread with a remarkably crisp crust. A side dish of kasha varnishkas was rich and satisfying.

Folks who ‘eat like a bird’ will be frustrated at not being able to order half a sandwich here. This place is for fressers. Portion sizes range from huge to insane. Go with the flow – share your meal if you must – and there will not only be leftovers to schlep home but you’ll also want to schmooze the deli/bakery counter where you’ll surely end up buying even more goodies.

3  Thank FoodFight101