“Better than I expected”

Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area
Ranked #202 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I stayed here during the big Microsoft convention downtown. I wasn't attending the Microsoft chaos - but the attendees had booked every closer hotel downtown. This was the closet I could find. It is right next to the stadium - probably great (or awful depending on your perspective) if you are in town for the rodeo or a game.

I found it easy enough to get into downtown. I would actually stay in downtown if I could - but this wasn't too bad. There are other hotels near the stadium - closer to the 610 loop - I would stay here - the closer to the loop the less inviting the area.

The hotel has a decent lobby. I got a larger room. I'm not sure if they called it a suite or just a larger room - but it didn't cost much more and it was money well spent. The space is more than twice the size of a standard room. It has a large sitting area and planty of room to spread out.

The bathroom was decent sized. The tub was large (note to hotel - think about installing curved shower rods - they really make a difference). My only complaint was a slight musty smell. It wasn't enough to bother me. I suspect it came from a leaking a/c. The room had 2 a/c units that you control on the a/c itself. They worked really well - you could have hung a side of beef in there - awesome.

The staff seemed a little overwhelmed by the Microsoft crowd. In fairness the folks at the hotel seemed to think that it was the hotels job to magically whisk a huge number of folks downtown in the pouring rain when no prior arrangements had been made. That just isn't ever going to be a pretty outcome.

Apparently they used to have coffee available - no more. Now you must go to the restaurant. that is a pain - the hotel should revisit that decision. Yes ther's a coffee maker in the room but for those who can't quite master that and just want a quick cup for the road - not finding an easy cup can become a big issue.

There is food nearby. The hotel itself was very quite. The beds and sheets were excellent. Overall it was good. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 21 March 2012

I was in Houston on business and stayed at this property because it was the closest hotel available to the Convention Center. Everyone I interacted with at the hotel was friendly and helpful, but the public areas of the hotel feel like they need some refreshing. My room was comfortable, but on the last morning of my stay, I had no hot water in the shower. This hotel is not a bad option, but there is probably better in the area.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank michael_in_irvine
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

Dear michael_in_irvine,

Thanks for your kind words about our staff. We appreciate your feedback about the facilities.
Hope to see you again.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 4 March 2012

I stayed at the Holiday Inn for the unofficial kickoff to the Houston Rodeo- BBQ Cookoff. The service was top notch and the atmosphere was perfect rodeo, cowboy entertainment!

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 20 February 2012

nice rooms good prices and good option and prices for medical center visitors they give you complimentary breakfast and shuttle i been here more than 10 times and the last one a security guard was a pain i have my car packed with personal stuff and he dont let me park in the front where always you see cars parked

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 February 2012

didnt receive welcome gift items that were supposed to have been placed in my room from my employer(paid for by the employer). Came back to my room and had no power therefore everything in my fridge was bad, hair dryer didnt work, housekeepers continuously let the doors slam while cleaning rooms which is a nuisance to guests who are trying to sleep, had to tell staff three different times that i was checking out late due to meetings running late,Apparently they dont communicate, bartenders not friendly at all.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank tm7032
William D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2012

I am sorry to hear that you had so many problems that were not resolved to your satisfaction. We make it our duty to make sure every guest leaves our hotel satisfied and this was not the case. The power issue was due to the overloading of circuits in your room but it should have been handled and communicated to you better and that we are working with our staff. The amenity was not delivered due to DND sign on your room, but also that should have been handling and communicated better. We have learned from this incident and are doing our best to train our staff on make sure that all problems are resolved and followed up timely and to our guest satisfaction. Again I am sorry that you did not receive a great stay and to be assured that your review is not taken lightly at our hotel.

Reviewed 11 February 2012

This hotel was old, and you could tell. The AC didn't work very well and the whole room smelled musty. They also didn't even bother to put a comforter on the bed, just one blanket. I only paid 40 through priceline and I thought it was too much. However, the staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aggie2006
Yvonne_Small, Manager at Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2012

Thank you for recognizing our friendly and helpful staff. I'm sorry to hear about the problems you encountered in the room. We are concerned about the situation and addressing those issues with our Director of Engineering. Your valuable feedback is vital to our continued success. We hope to have you as our guest again very soon!

Reviewed 7 February 2012

The hotel was over run by cheerleaders the night we were there, but they were mostly well behaved. The rooms were big and very clean. We were overall. We were happy with the quality of this hotel and we booked an advanced rate securing us a great price.

• Stayed: February 2012
Yvonne_Small, Manager at Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2012

Thank you for choosing our hotel. We are glad that you were able to enjoy your stay and find a great rate for the room. The Cheer Competition was being held at Reliant Park and it is good to hear that the cheerleaders were well behaved. We appreciate you taking a moment to share your experience and look forward to welcoming you back.