“calming place to stay”

The Houstonian
Ranked #13 of 507 Hotels in Houston
“calming place to stay”
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I stayed at the Houstonian while in town visiting relatives. I enjoyed the quiet nature of my stay. The room was nice but was surprised with the small size of the bathroom. It was fine , just much smaller than I expected. The pools ( 3) were clean and well staffed. I also used the fitness center and the spa and they were both exceptional. This property , while in the middle of everything and near the galleria area, was in a parkland setting. I will stay here again. Also the staff was always helpful.

Room Tip: backside on concierge floor
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 March 2012

My mom and I stayed here for a family wedding and had a mostly positive experience. If you love to swim, this is the hotel for you! Mom and I both loved the 3 gigantic swimming pools, which were heated in February to a comfy 88 degrees. The gym (in a separate building) has everything you could possibly want - awesome locker rooms, indoor and outdoor tracks, climbing wall, fitness classes, complimentary earphones for the machines, free water with lemon (and coffee and iced tea) - list is long! The spa is in a separate building that feels like a Houston version of the Petite Trianon. I had a massage from a friendly but not expert masseuse. Again, there was a lovely float pool in the spa. The hotel itself is in a 1980s-style black glass building surrounded by a very pretty garden and small woods. The black glass, hunting lodge decor and dark wood paneling make the place feel very masculine and Republican. George Bush Sr. and Barbara used to live here part-time. However Mom and I are Democrats and no one seemed to mind. Ask for a room that looks out the back of the hotel to the woods. Our room faced a courtyard (and a parking garage) and felt very dark. Beds were comfy and the housekeeping staff seemed to clean the room every time we left it. Breakfast in the restaurant was excellent (the waiter was particularly nice). There was a plumbing glitch that left us with no hot water for about an hour on Saturday afternoon. This was resolved, and the hotel agreed to credit us with free parking to make up for the inconvenience. I would happily return here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the woods.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Celia M
Texas
Reviewed 4 March 2012

My wife and I just left the Houstonian yesterday. We stayed there about 25 years ago but I don't really remember much about that stay. What I can say is everything looked new to us. I like the homey feel of the lobby. The beds were very comfortable and there was good HDTV reception. The free WiFi was very fast. I did a speed test and had a signal of 19-20 MPS in our room. That is the fastest I have received in any hotel. The service was excellent. The only reason I did not give it a 5 star rating was the food was good but not great. We drove there and I parked my own car which they allow. The only problem is that the parking garage is very tight. It would be very easy to scratch a fender so you have to take the curves at 1-2 miles an hour. Still you will not be disappointed if you stay here.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 26 February 2012

nice rooms, friendly staff, but too expensive for what you get, there are a couple other options in the galleria for the equivalent amount of money and much nicer... the two restaurants are excellent, but again there are tons of restaurants in the area..
I don't think I will stay there again.

1 Thank mauriciotorey
New York, NY
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I have stayed here close to ten times, and every visit is as great as the last. The staff is very professional and accommodating, the grounds are gorgeous, and the guest rooms are spacious and elegant. The on-site gym is reason enough to stay here - it is one of the best in the country. Whether working out with weights or cardio, taking a class, or grabbing a bite at the health-conscious cafe, it is a treat to go to this gym.

Room Tip: Some rooms are a long walk away from the lobby. If you're not up for a shlep, ask for a closer...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Still a very nice hotel but lacks the modern feel of newer hotels. The hallway had a slight musty odor. Rolling bags don't go up the stairs so easily to get to the main elevator banks. The room was a bit dark and the view was not terrific. However the location is perfect as is it close to the Galleria area but far enough away from its busy streets. The staff is helpful and professional. The pool are is quite nice. Guests have access to a top notch gym. If you like working out while on the road you can't go wrong here. It's the best part of the stay for me.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Jim M, General Manager at The Houstonian, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Dear Triponacrack, thank you for your comments. I'm pleased that you enjoyed several of the amenities offered by our Campus including our three pools and complimentary use of The Houstonian Club's expansive fitness center.

We realize that our residential-style decor is very different from some of the more trendy eye-popping designs favored by competitive hotels. In contrast, we offer a traditional style which many have come to enjoy and prefer.

Most of all, I am very happy to see that you particularly enjoyed the service rendered by our team. We believe they are by far our most valuable asset.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
New York
Reviewed 1 February 2012

After another week-long stay at the Houstonian I am quite frankly needing a rest. After being shown to a concierge-level room that had 2 queen beds (we had reserved and guaranteed a King), we were moved to a 3rd floor room overlooking the old hotel pool. Yes, the one right outside the windows where there are frequent water exercise classes for adults and frequent swim lessons for children. Not the best location as it can be noisy at times but close to the gym and spa. Our room also stared right at a very large roof of a beautiful home, but not at all the tree lined vista that you usually have at The Houstonian.

The problem back there, and in fact for most of the property, including the lobby, concierge lounge, and the pools, is that there is virtually no WiFi connection and almost no cell phone service. According to hotel staff, the only wireless carrier that has a decent signal in the area is Verizon, and I can verify that AT&T delivered "No Service" to my iPhone. The funny part was when calling the front desk, to at least report the lack of technology available or maybe get some help, I was transferred to "technical support" which turned out to be Comcast Cable. So, we were constantly walking around searching for signals, wifi or cell, with no consistency from place to place.

This property is sort of Texas traditional with somewhat of a hunting lodge feel. I do think it's quite comfortable, we saw a few babies, few children, and refreshingly no dogs. It's definitely set-up for meetings, banquets, weddings, corporate outings, etc., and the adjacent Manor House is quite nice for larger, private parties. We found the hotel to be quiet at times and noisy at others, depending upon the number of meetings and their break times.

Rooms are somewhat average in size, although suites are larger, but the bathrooms are incredibly small, quite frankly ok but dated. Once in the rooms, it's quiet, the doors don't slam like in newer hotels, and with carpet covering all the surfaces (excluding bathrooms) the rooms and the hallways are quiet as well.

Apparently the hotel has invested in some TV technology, Lodgenet I believe, that adds some functionality to viewing choices, such as viewing your bill, movies, etc. Not wanting to sit in a room and watch TV, I would gladly exchange that for decent internet access.

Lastly, the gym, locker rooms, sauna, are all in good shape and well equipped with a lot of cardio and weight-lifting equipment. The showers have very tired dated tiles, but the rest of the locker room is clean and well serviced. In fact, it's one of my favorite gyms and guests are made to feel quite welcome. There's a good cafe in the club as well and you can easily fit right in with the local members.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the spa but not on the pool side. It's quieter with better views.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Options1109, thanks for sharing your comments regarding your visit to The Houstonian. I'm pleased that you enjoyed the ambiance and the use of our fitness facilities. I'm sorry that you were disturbed by activities in our pools during you stay and for the mix-up on the type of room requested.

Regarding your challenges with technology, we are trying to solve the mystery of your lack of Wi-Fi service. Our network is built on a fiber optic infrastructure and we have saturated our building with access points. And save for a couple of rooms in which we are attempting to resolve this issue, we have no reports indicating poor service such as you experienced.

As I reported in my response to your guest comments made directly to us after your stay, we have struggled with cellular connectivity. We engaged with Verizon Wireless to install a distributed antennae system in 2008 but have so far been unable to attract other carriers to join. However, it appears that we are close to a breakthrough with your carrier. This has been a frustratingly slow process and a cause of many comments similar to yours. I hope that we can have this resolved by your next visit.

I do hope that you will visit us again whenever your travels bring you to Houston.