“Perfect for Theatre District” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Lancaster

The Lancaster
Ranked #1 of 499 Hotels in Houston
Texas
“Perfect for Theatre District”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2011

We stayed one night after attending the theatre and could not have been more satisfied. The hotel was clean and service was outstanding. Very convienient to the theatres and restaurants. Only a 2 block walk thru well lit streets to get to Hobby Center. Will stay again.

JB

Room Tip: 307 is a corner room, gave added views
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

This is a lovely old hotel that has kept its charm and beauty through the years. Originally built in the early 1900's, the structure has been updated to keep it turn of the century charm. The rooms are beautiful, the staff and service is very accommodating and the location is wonderful. Located in the heart of the theatre district of downtown Houston, you can easily include a play or concert. Top that off with a magnificent restaurant (The Bistro) and delightful bar, this place is fit for a grand time with a touch of royalty. We've frequented the past two decades for special events or to just get away, always resulting in a memorable occasion. Highly recommended for travelers and locals.

Room Tip: They are all great, but ask for a corner room if they have one. A real treat!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2011

I would just like to say a few things about your hotel and staff. I had a wonderful time when I stayed at your hotel!! Andrea, who took my reservation was a pleasure to speak with on the phone and had great customer service skills! Also upon my arrival the front desk staff was satisfactory and the Bistro food is Amazing!!!!!! Again I enjoyed my stay and your hotel will always be my first pick when coming into Houston. Thank you!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

I was warey about staying here having read the reviews and I have to say I have mixed feelings about my stay.

I was there for 13 nights and to be fair the beds are comfortable and the air con worked fine which as a Brit is important to me... and the rooms were quiet considering the location. So from that point of view I was happy.

However, I was less than satisfied with a few things, first of all, the rooms are pretty poor standard considering the billing, they were very dated and on two occasions i had shets with small rips in them. The bathroom was never cleaned properly (I don't wish to show the evidence from the bowl as proof) and on one occasion there was some strange yellow water that came out of the sink while I was shaving.

I can sort of forgive these things and get on with it because I like the location and I've stayed in enough hotels to know these things happen from time to time, but what I felt really offended by is the parking. Now I understand we're in the middle of theatre district, but to charge $30 A NIGHT for parking, especially for long term residents, it in my opinion unacceptable. They offered me a discounted price of $20-25 but I still felt this was a bit steep.

There are, of course, alternatives, you can walk a couple of blocks away and pay additional charges, or if you can find a parking space on the street, you can leave it there overnight (after 6pm until 7am) but in a city the size of Houston I think they could do more to make it a bit easier for customers.

All that said, it is very close to lots of downtown amenities, good access to the motorways and over all the staff seemed polite, helpful and friendly. Would stay there again? probably not if I had to have a car for my trip.

Room Tip: 501 looked out over some air vents, I'd try and avoid that side of the building.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
LancManager, General Manager at The Lancaster, responded to this review, 2 December 2011
Hello- We are very sorry that you were not completely satisfied with your stay here at the Lancaster Hotel. We would love for you to come and stay with us again and we can work out the parking arrangements, just ask for in house reservations Manager, Andrea and she will take good care of you. Also, the city was working on the water that day. Again, we would love to have you back.
New Orleans, LA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2011

My husband and I came to Houston for a wedding for 1 night. We missed the room block rate at the Marriott, and the price went up considerably, so after reading the reviews, I somewhat hesitantly booked at the Lancaster via a discount booking website. I was worried because it was so much less expensive than the surrounding hotels, but it was within 4 blocks of the reception and we're on a budget, so I went with it.

Wow, am I glad we did! The lobby was stately and clean, and had decanters of ice water and glasses. The reception agents were warm and gave us a key immediately
even though we were an hour early.

The hotel was small and boutique-like, but very clean and charming. I don't really understand the people who complained about the dated decor. First of all, it's not that bad. Second, it's not a Ritz Carlton! The decor matched the "homey" feel of the hotel.
Our room was probably slightly smaller than an average single hotel room, but completely adequate. The king size bed was super comfy and the bathroom was very big for a hotel bath. All of the standard amenities were included, plus some others that chain hotels don't usually include, such as Q-tips and cotton balls. There were even 2 pieces of chocolate on the nightstand.

The free breakfast buffet was a tasty bonus! Eggs, French toast, pancakes, small Danishes, breakfast potatoes, bacon, juice and coffee!

They even offer a free van that will take you to various locations downtown on a first come, first
serve basis.

Oh, and valet at the hotel was $30 a night, but there are multiple lots within a couple blocks that are much cheaper!

Overall, a great experience!

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank LNJ508
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2011

I checked into The Lancaster for a one night business stay, but meeting with local friends for dinner that evening. The first room seemed fine, but it was directly above street construction, construction the staff assured me would be done by 10. The valet kindly drove me to dinner, which was a pleasant and unexpected surprise. They were quite gracious When I came back from dinner, the construction continued. I had to change rooms (no small feat, but handled with a smile) across the hotel. The second room was smaller, but like the first, a big two-poster bed and slip-covered couch (i did not peek under the slipcover.). Problem was the entire hallway smelled of sewage - apparently that was what the construction was all about. The bed was quite comfortable. Wish I could say the same about the non-existent water pressure in the shower. No realistic work space as it had a very small desk.
So, I give it two thumbs up for service (with the caveat that they probably shouldn't have been booking the room directly above the construction), but the hotel needs a little TLC and modernization in the rooms - if you need bland slipcovers, time to buy a new couch. Very convenient location too.

• Stayed October 2011
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

Sure the rooms are a little small, and the bathroom is a bit cramped, but that's part of the charm and this place is leaps and bounds over the 'same-ol' chains we've all stayed at, especially for a romantic get-away. Conveniently located across the street from the Alley Theatre, my wife and I decided to stay the night after a late-night play. We've always wanted to stay here, but never had the opportunity. After our recent stay, we'll come up with more opportunities. This 'boutique' hotel has the charm of some older European hotels, and though the elevator is a bit slow and the room is relatively small the hotel has all the creature comforts of much more expensive choices. And the staff couldn't have been more helpful. Check around for good deals as the rates are very competitive. Didn't get a chance to eat at the Bistro, but look forward to trying it during our next visit...in just a few weeks.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple