“Closed for Dine-In Mid-Day Saturday?”
Review of Cal-Bob's Smoke Shack - CLOSED

Cal-Bob's Smoke Shack
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed May 30, 2013

First, The food is great at Cal-Bobs.

But it's not only food that makes a restaurant a place you want to go to again and again.

As I mentioned in a previous review, the location is not so great...it's out of the way and somehow joined with a quirky auto repair business. Ok...but the food is good, so I will go out of my way to eat there once in a while.

On Saturday, May 18, I decided to go. I was all ready for some good Cal-Bob BBQ...the prime rib in particular.

I pull up, park and get out of the car and as I'm walking in, there is a sign that says "Closed for Dine-In due to Catering - Take Out Only".

Serious?

Dear Cal-Bob, If you are going to be in business serving the public, in an out-of-the-way location, you can't just close down willy nilly. Do you think I will be eager to drive over again? I'll probably think, "Well, they might not be open, why take the chance." (I read another review here where something similar happened to them...after a drive over...closed!)

It might be a good idea to decide whether you are in the catering business (as you descrive your dining room menu to geared toward....not retail consumers), or are you in the restaurant business.

As a business owner myself, I am sure you appreciate feedback, and I hope you will take the opportunity to make adjustments, if you choose. If our customers don't tell us what bothers them, we often just don't know!

So this customer is saying that a way to help overcome a poor location is NOT by being randomly closed.

Wishing the best to Cal-Bobs!

Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

I love the pulled pork so much that it is what I have every time ! The cilantro coleslaw is one of the best coleslaws I've ever had . You have to have the homemade Tootsie Cake ( Coconut Cream ) .

I passed Cal Bob's so many times without knowing it was there . A friend told me about it and I go every chance I can .

Reviewed May 24, 2013

From the street, you may have your doubts when you drive past this trailer on the side of the road. Even though they "close" at 7:00 pm, locals know that proprietors Calvin & Carol will stay open to serve outstanding BBQ & dessert past closing time. We found our new go-to Kerrville dinner spot. Thanks Cal!

Reviewed May 19, 2013

This place has some of the best BBQ in Texas, no...the world! Little hole in the wall joint outside of town that share a parking lot with an automotive repair shop, but man, what food. We ate lunch there and came back for dinner. Everything is perfect, but a couple of unusual items stand out. First, the red pepper soup...we had some for lunch and then had Cal-Bob put back a quart to take home. On Friday and Sat evenings, 4-7, they offer dinner "set-ups" for $5 (it was roasted red potatoes and grilled asparagus the night we were there), then you can order salmon or smoked prime rib by the ounce. You may want to call ahead and have them save you a piece of salmon. It is possible to get a smoked salmon or prime rib dinner for less than $10. All of the meats were good, and all are sold by the ounce, meaning you can have exactly what you want...a simple yet brilliant pricing scheme.
Don't miss Cal-Bob's if you are in Kerrville. If you are not in Kerrville, go there so you can eat at Cal-Bob's.
Mark and Dawn

1  Thank msandel
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

We're originally from Texas and were visiting the area. Glad we found Cal-Bob's! Very friendly owners and the brisket, sausage, salmon, and the soup are great! We ate here and got take-out several times during our week in Kerrville. Even took some brisket to my Dad in San Antonio. The pear crisp dessert was wonderful too.

1  Thank pbk96