“Run, don't walk, to Cal-Bob's!!”
Review of Cal-Bob's Smoke Shack - CLOSED

Cal-Bob's Smoke Shack
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We arrived as this wonderful establishment was getting ready to close for the evening with a group of 10 in tow. The owner and his wife asked us to stay anyway, and we are SO glad they did! We ordered brisket, pulled pork, and turkey along with beans, coleslaw, and potato salad. The food was fantastic, and I promise you won't taste a better potato salad anywhere! In addition to the great food, the customer sevice was superb. They were nice to all of our kids, and so accommodating of our large group! We are in the area yearly for camp drop-off and are already planning to get here early next year so we can eat at Cal-Bob's!!

2  Thank Mom2ggc

Reviewed June 16, 2013

We were so glad to have found this place. It certainly isn't fancy or in a great location but the food and hospitality were great! We loved the red pepper soup! We had the prime rib and the brisket and both were delicious. We had been looking for a good Texas Barbecue and we were very pleased with Cal-Bobs. We were already putting a to-go order together before we were half finished with our meal so we could continue relishing this awesome food!

2  Thank Jill6843
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We recently ate at Cal-Bob's smoke shack. I went there with my family. We tried the prime rib , pork butt, turkey, chicken sandwich. Also the german potato salad and beans. Its simple texas bar- b-que with great texas hospitality. Cal bob and his wife were very friendly. Everything tasted great and the turkey and chicken were perfect. Good taste and moist. The one sandwich that took the cake for us was the pork butt. It was everyone's favorite. There is only one gripe and it has nothing to do with the food. The restaurant does not have a restroom inside. It has a porta john outside. I could care less about having to use a porta john (12 yrs in the military), but when bringing the family,,,,well its not acceptable with the ladies. Still we would definitely recommend this place. One last thing I noticed after reading many reviews about cal-bobs is that they tend to close after they are done selling all their food. We were there on a Thursday and it was about 3 pm when we were leaving. Already cal-bob was taking down the open sign. Looks like business is good.

1  Thank Lfamily83
Reviewed May 30, 2013

The brisket I had was pretty tender, but the flavor was just ok and lacking something. I didn't like the sausage. The German potato salad was good. The deserts were mediocre. It's probably the best place in Kerrville and definitely better than Buzzies, but I've had much better.

1  Thank jexes23
Reviewed May 30, 2013

First, The food is great at Cal-Bobs.

But it's not only food that makes a restaurant a place you want to go to again and again.

As I mentioned in a previous review, the location is not so great...it's out of the way and somehow joined with a quirky auto repair business. Ok...but the food is good, so I will go out of my way to eat there once in a while.

On Saturday, May 18, I decided to go. I was all ready for some good Cal-Bob BBQ...the prime rib in particular.

I pull up, park and get out of the car and as I'm walking in, there is a sign that says "Closed for Dine-In due to Catering - Take Out Only".

Serious?

Dear Cal-Bob, If you are going to be in business serving the public, in an out-of-the-way location, you can't just close down willy nilly. Do you think I will be eager to drive over again? I'll probably think, "Well, they might not be open, why take the chance." (I read another review here where something similar happened to them...after a drive over...closed!)

It might be a good idea to decide whether you are in the catering business (as you descrive your dining room menu to geared toward....not retail consumers), or are you in the restaurant business.

As a business owner myself, I am sure you appreciate feedback, and I hope you will take the opportunity to make adjustments, if you choose. If our customers don't tell us what bothers them, we often just don't know!

So this customer is saying that a way to help overcome a poor location is NOT by being randomly closed.

Wishing the best to Cal-Bobs!