“Unhelpful staff”

Scottish Inn Killeen
Ranked #23 of 33 Hotels in Killeen
Reviewed 7 December 2011

We stayed here for a week while TDY to Ft Hood nearby. First, I will say the location is great. That is all. The rooms are unclean and smell. The mattresses are uncomfortable. The rooms are cheap, so those things are to be expected I suppose. The worst of it was how they double charged our card. At first they claimed the first charge was for the room, and the second was a "hold," although they couldn't say for what. When they finally admitted the second charge it was a mistake, they said they couldn't refund it, and we would have to take care of it with our bank. Thankfully we are with USAA, and they are great. It's being taken care of as I write this, but the situation should never have happened in the first place.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Robert M

Reviewed 1 September 2011

We stayed overnight when our son returned from Iraq...my parents stayed for 2 days and it was pleasant for all. We liked the location; very close to everything we needed...

I read the comments on this site AFTER I had booked the 2 rooms and wasn't so sure we would like the stay. The staff was cordial. The room clean. Beds were comfortable...I had brought my own pillow and slept great.

We will stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Peter P, Manager at Scottish Inn Killeen, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2014

We are glad you liked your stay, and hope to see you again soon. Thank you!

Reviewed 5 June 2011

The location is the only plus. The hotel smells like the smoke is in the walls of the building. The service is not good and still can't figure out how you can't take your breakfast back to your room. My wife tried it and was told by a lady wolrking behind the desk that they want her to eat it in the room. LOL but you have a microwave and a fridge in the rooms.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 11 April 2010

I thought it was go till i returned home, infested. Tried to get in touch with health dept.
Weekend I'll try again monday. BUYER BEWARE! Would not have been bad if bugs were not there.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank spiceyhot
Reviewed 20 March 2010

We were exhausted from a recent move, and attempted to check in, but were denied because the staff insisted pets weren't allowed. I explained to them that the service animal is allowed everywhere I go and is required by law to be allowed. We ended up having to drive to the next town to find a room.

I would encourage them to read this http://www.ada.gov/svcanimb.htm website and realize that what they did was illegal and caused a major headache for us.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank dolphinscoach
Reviewed 25 January 2010

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel twice. Because we had a fair experience the first time (the summer of 2009) and the rate is quite low, we decided to return. We stayed most recently in January. We will not return again.

The hotel location is great; it is close to a grocery store, Starbucks, and many other businesses. The room was clean and still fairly new. There is a microwave and a small refrigerator in the room. The bed is fairly comfortable. I would not rely on the washroom toiletries that they supply, they are not of good quality. Also, the bath towels are very, very low quality; we brought our own bath towels for this stay because I remembered how poor they were.

I would say that for the low price of the hotel room and the great location, this is a fairly good hotel option. We will not, however, return to this hotel because of the poor customer service that we received.

The morning of our scheduled check-out, my husband went to the breakfast (including: sausage and egg biscuits, cold cereal, and waffles) downstairs while I showered. He ate his breakfast and walked out of the breakfast area with a cup of coffee. He intended to take the cup of coffee back to the room.

An employee (manager?) quickly and sternly told him that no food was allowed out of the area. He told her it was coffee, but she loudly repeated that no food was allowed out of the area. I am quite confused as to why they would supply a microwave and a refrigerator in the rooms, yet forbid their guests to take hotel provided coffee to their room. I assume they intend on their guests consuming their own food/drinks in the room, but not hotel food/drinks.

My husband felt scolded and embarrassed, and sat at a table to finish his coffee. He decided to leave the area and return to our room when the employee walked to another adult guest and rudely told him to get off of the hotel computer, and that he had been on long enough (no one was waiting to use the computer).

During both stays we saw the same two employees, but only one seemed to be working at a time. The staff here is not friendly in general, and the verbal nastiness of this woman was the final straw.

We will not return to the hotel - purely due to the staff making us feel uncomfortable and unwelcome.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Brooke D
Reviewed 28 June 2009

We stayed one night at this hotel. The room was very large. Beds very comfortable. Big TV and air conditioner worked great. It was nice and clean. Very reasonable rate.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marge22

Thank you for staying with us! We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again. Thank you!