“Very good value”

Super 8 Lubbock Civic Center North
Ranked #55 of 69 Hotels in Lubbock
Reviewed 13 October 2009

For $50 including tax this hotel is great value for travelers on a budget. I am sitting in a clean and comfortable room with multi channet TV and free wi-fi internet access. The bathroom is spotless. Some of the equipment is not new but what do we expect at this price? There are restaurants across the street and I had a great catfish dinner for $7 plus tax and a free drink as a welcome to Lubbock. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo

Reviewed 16 August 2008

This is the Super 8 located near the Civic Center. It was the nastiest, filthiest motel I have ever stayed in. When we first walked in the smell of mold coming from the air conditioner was enough to make us vomit, but that was not the end of it: there was a used Q-tip in the desk drawer, dried urine on the side of the tub, brown crusty crap on the blankets, stains on the carpets. The lamps on the wall between the beds did not work, the lamp on the wall behind the TV was missing a bulb. The coffee maker had a rusty hot plate. And this was not the end of it: breakfast that morning was awful to say the least! Stale cereal, warm milk, no juice, and harder than rocks bagels! If your looking to stay at a motel near the Civic, I suggest that you steer very clear of this one!!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank LBKlilly
Reviewed 18 July 2008

let me name the things that i was dissatisfied with and you can be the judge of how you would rate it.......

huge gaping hole in ceiling above shower
dirty towels sitting on the floor
refrigerator set in hole in wall that had 3 inch gaps on all sides that was sitting on exposed old wooden block pieces
very old drapes
very old air conditioner
dirty carpets
odor
lights not working

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank road_experiences
Reviewed 27 May 2008

Avoid this hotel at any cost! My wife also made the mistake of booking the wrong Super 8 and what a mistake it was. We have traveled extensively and have never had a hotel experience as bad as this. Our problems began as soon as we arrived.
The room: The carpets were stained and had obviously not been vacuumed. The bathroom door was broken and missing the handle. The bathtub sloped at an odd angle and was very slippery. There was a large, rather dirty 1980's era microwave that occupied the bulk of the usable counter space near the sink. Below that, in a hole cut directly into the counter, sat an equally dirty refrigerator perched on a homemade wooden stand. Every washrag and towel that we were in the room, and each set we subsequently received, were permanently stained. The beds were smallish and very uncomfortable. The air conditioner was loud and rattled constantly. The unit also lacked the ability to maintain a consistent temperature, requiring contstant adjustment throughout the night. The back of the remote control to the TV was broken and held together loosely with a piece of tape.
Location: The only good thing I can say about this hotel is that it is within walking distance of one of my favorite Lubbock resturaunts - Riversmith's and a short walk from a new Wal-Mart. But even that must be balanced with the fact that there is a derelict looking vacant building next door and that there is currently an active roadway construction site adjacent to the buliding.
Amenities: The continental breakfast consisted of cereal, suspect milk, coffee, and orange juice. The ice from the ice maker was peppered with flecks of dirt. The layout of the parking lot made parking difficult and potentially hazardous.
Service: Our stay was from Friday night until Monday morning, during which time our room was not cleaned. Enough said.
Bottom line: This hotel is unacceptable at any price!

• Stayed: May 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 14 March 2008

There are two Super 8 hotels in Lubbock - because of the good reviews for the other Super 8 hotel we booked this hotel by mistake.

Just avoid the Super 8 Lubbock Civic Center hotel, 501 Ave Q, Lubbock. The other Super 8 in Lubbock must be much nicer from the reviews.

The Super 8 Lubbock Civic Center is a small older hotel. The Civic center area is not a nice area to stay in - although Lubbock is a small town and there is probably little crime.

The night we stayed in the hotel most of the rooms were taken -apparently on a long term basis - by workers who parked various heavy trucks in the small lot. There were stains on the bedspreads. The carpet was dirty. The room had an odor of urine. Sheets and towels were washed - but of cheapest quality. There were hairs on the sheets. The hotel room was noisy due to the workers/tenants coming and going at all hours.

• Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed 20 August 2006

Based on prior reviews of this motel, I booked a double room for one night at a rate of $44.99 plus tax on-line. A reasonable but appropriate rate, based on what I had read of this "no frills" motel. We were moving my daughter into a new apartment in Lubbock where she attends Texas Tech, and just needed a place to sleep and clean up the next morning before getting her settled. I booked our room a couple of weeks in advance knowing that we would be one of the many families in town doing the same thing.

Although the location is convenient, there is a major construction currently taking place on Avenue Q right in front of this motel, making it a bit difficult to maneuver in and out of the parking lot and gain access to nearby streets. Warning..the smell of curry almost knocks you out when you enter the office -- and it was about 90 degrees in there, much warmer than even outside. When checking in, I was asked how many people would occupy the double room to which I stated three adults and one teenager. Apparently the room rate we were given is for one person, and one person only. We were charged $6 for each additional person ($18) bringing our nightly rate up to $62.99 plus tax. Call me crazy, but I thought if you booked a double room with two double beds you were allowed to have four people in the room, right? Not here..... When I complained that we were not made aware of the fact that the rate was for one person only, she began looking for a Super 8 book to show me where it was printed. I told her we lived five hours away and booked the room on-line and had no access to a Super 8 book when I made the reservation. (She never found the book either.)

Since we were basically stuck here, we paid and went to our room. We had asked for extra towels at check-in (since we paid extra) and she brought them right down. They were clean, but very worn and rough. The room was dark and shabby, but reasonably clean except for the hairs around the sink. The water in the sink had a strong sewage smell, made brushing your teeth quite an unpleasant experience. There was a large hole cut out of the cabinet where the dorm-size refrigerator was placed which was dank and dirty, we didn't even open the frig. There are written instructions in the bathroom on how to operate the shower, I guess enough people had complained that you couldn't figure out how to turn it on. On top of that, the shower head was strange; it was wobbly and just hanging from the wall. If you tried to adjust it, it would just fall back down - that is, until you figured out how to turn the water on and the pressure sort of held it up in place. Water pressure was good.

We left that morning about 8:30 and returned around 10:30 to check out before the 11:00 am check out time and make sure we hadn't left anything in the room. The cleaning person was already in the room and had stripped the beds, so we couldn't do anything but go to the office and check out. By the way, the continental breakfast was a plate of doughnuts next to the coffee maker in the office. Bottom line, I feel that I was a bit misled by prior reviews and wanted to be sure to give specifics of our one-night stay. Had I known what the "real" rate was, we would have definitely stayed elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family
2  Thank Angie8mD
Reviewed 19 June 2006

On the basis of the previous review written here, my past experience at the Holiday Inn,and the reviews of the LaQuinta hotel posted on this site, I decided to give the "life is great at the Super 8" a try. Hard working owners, and excellent customer service. By no means fancy. Coffee is downstairs in the office. Rolls and OJ in the morning. Several good restaurants well within walking distance, as is downtown Lubbock, and the public library.

Met some interesting people, e.g., a construction crew staying there, a retiree on a motorcycle travelling the US, and an 83 year old Teamster retiree who had brought his wife there for medical care. Stayed three nights, paid 150.00 (or thereabouts) total, and felt I got good value. I recommend the hotel, and thank the previous poster for the info.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled on business