New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Extended Stay America - Lubbock - Southwest

Extended Stay America - Lubbock - Southwest
Ranked #50 of 63 Hotels in Lubbock
Odessa, Texas
“I'm suprised by the other reviews...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2008

During the first week in August, I stayed at this hotel while attending an orientation for TTUHSC. From the moment we checked in, the staff at the front desk was wonderful! I needed to fax a scholarship letter and they did it for free. Then, I needed to return a textbook I had and they printed the label for me and helped me tape up the box. My room was on the first floor. I stayed there for a week and on one of the days, a noisy group stayed in the room next to me. I called the front desk and they quickly called the room and the noise stopped. The room contains a very small efficency kitchen, a desk, and a table. There was even a lounge chair with an ottoman. There was plenty of room for me to spread out and study. The kitchen contained a stovetop, a microwave, dishes, and a full size fridge. IYou have to provide your own soap for the dishes and for your body! :) I didn't notice any cigarette burns or stains on the blankets or the carpet. I didn't have any problems with the cigarette smell on the first floor.

The only thing that "stunk" about this hotel were that the odors from the different rooms mingled in the hallway from everyone cooking in the kitchens of the rooms. I figure this is a small price to pay for not having to eat out every night. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again!

• Liked — Quiet and friendly
  • Disliked — Smell of food in the hall...
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
bbrauss, Manager at Extended Stay America - Lubbock - Southwest, responded to this review, 22 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay please come by and check out our many upgrades since your last stay with us.. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2007

After Driving all night from Austin (left at 1:00 am) because my mom was in the ER I arrived at about 9:00am.

I expressed that I was extremely tired (imagine that) and that I needed to check in early so I could rest a little before my mom was transferred from Lamesa. They accommodated the early check in.

After being in the room for a very short time, I received a call from the front desk. I was informed that I needed to be moved to another room because the one I was in was due for maintenance. I didn't see anything wrong with it but the guy at the front desk insisted. I requested, again, that I be put in a room with a king size bed, turned down for that as stated yet again. Apparently they have very few king size beds as the last time I stayed there the same thing happened.

They moved me to a room on the 2nd floor. Immediately after entering the room there was a series of loud thumps on the wall, at least that is what it sounded like. Later I realized that it was the extremely unruly children upstairs as the pounding continued. I called the front desk and complained and they apparently called the room above me. The noise stopped for about 15 minutes. I called the front desk again and was told that I would be moved to another room.

Entering the 3rd room for the day that was marked non smoking I was greeted with the overwhelming stench of cigarette / cigar smoke. It was putrid at best. I informed them and they said they didn't have anywhere else to move me to right then.

Turning back the sheets revealed blood spots. Not bad but there were unwashed and fresh. I said something to the front desk and they had the room cleaned for "free". Normally there is a $10 charge for an unscheduled cleaning of the room.

I gave up and went to sleep. The next day there was the sound of undisciplined, uncontrolled children running through the halls. Most impressive.

That afternoon, the fire alarm went off. I knew full well that it was the kids that were allowed to run amok by irresponsible parents and a management that is not in control of their own property. I took my time and made it out the front. The fire truck showed up and of course could not find a fire. I'm not sure but would guess that it probably cost about $10K to get the fire truck out there and to my knowledge the parents / kids were not fined or held responsible in any way. Amazing, absolutely amazing.

Run, do not walk to another place to stay. My previous experience there should have warned me. It was pretty much the same thing without the fire alarm.

The Ashmore is across the loop and a MUCH MUCH BETTER PLACE TO STAY.

• Liked — Nothing I can think of
  • Disliked — Everything that happened
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The problems you described are not acceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. To prevent this from happening again, my team has been better trained at handling noise complaints as well as following a more thorough cleaning program implemented at all Extended Stay Hotels. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at lub@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.
Santa Fe, NM
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2006

I stayed here on August 8, and would never use this hotel again. I checked in early, and left to meet friends. When I returned around 10:30 PM there were four men milling around the front door smoking and talking. When I entered the lobby I noticed that the front desk was closed for the evening. No personnel at all, and the front doors were left unlocked. Very creepy if you're a female traveling alone.
Each unit has a kitchen and the elevator didn't smell like smoke, it smelled like a tenement filled with a plethora of food odors.
The bathroom and kitchen were clean, but the sheets were very thin and the blanket had burn marks and stains all over it.

I will not stay at an ESA ever again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — no security
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay here!
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled solo
1 Thank christian08
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am sorry to hear that you had problems during your stay. In response to your feedback, I wanted to let you know that we have a team member on property 24 hours a day, the front office is open from 6:30am to 11pm. From 11pm to 6:30am, we have a Night Agent who is on site and available to assist you. We also have new locks throughout the property that are electronic key card activated. Our housekeeping staff has been better trained with a more thorough cleaning program used throughout the Extended Stay Hotels. Thank you again for providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at lub@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2005

From the clerk at the front desk who acted like he was doing us a favor by checking us in to the "non-smoking" room that smelled like someone had just put out a cig before we walked in ...this place was HORRIBLE. The staff was non-accomidating and the whole place gave me the creeps. My sheets had a huge black stain on them and they acted like I was putting them out because I wanted new ones. We were traveling with another couple and they had the same experience. Never ever again would I darken the door at this place.

• Stayed October 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize that you had these issues during your stay. To prevent this from happening again, my team has been better trained to be extremely helpful with any guest complaints brought to our attention. Our housekeeping staff has also been trained to follow a more thorough cleaning program. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at lub@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2004

Lot's of cigarette smoke smell in the elavator and corridors of this facility. Even though only half of the third floor is smoking, the entire floor and the elavator reeked of the smell. This would be a great place for smokers but if you don't care for the smell or if you are allergic to cigarette smoke, don't stay here. When we told the front desk about it, the girl said "I don't smell any smoke", but the maid that was standing behind her agreed with us that it was pretty bad.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize that the smell of smoke had gotten out of hand. We have done preventative maintenance on all of our exhaust fans to ensure that the out of control smell of smoke does not happen again in the future. Thank you again for providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at lub@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.