All reviews big bend rv park outdoor fireplace train horns night vision smallish room shower toilet adobe style night skies full hookups quail concrete pads duplex cabin dark sky fire pit electrical outlets sky park
Reviewed January 12, 2017 via mobile

We arrived late, and all the other places in Marathon were booked. Thankfully we had camping gear, and we were able to car camp pretty cheaply; I think I was $15 for two people. They had a hot shower which was much-needed after a cold night camping. The receptionist was new and didn't know the area she admitted, but she was doing her best to learn and be helpful. Would stay here again.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed December 29, 2016

After we had given a credit card to pay for a room, we discovered that the hotel provides ear plugs for use while asleep because it is very close to a railroad track. I cannot sleep with any thing sticking in my ears. Between ten and probably midnight, I stopped counting after six freight trains who blew their whistles at each of several intersections.

The wifi did not work during the one night we spent there.

The motel is very clean and very old. Its problem is the near continual train whistles which make sleep near impossible. I suspect that the other motels in downtown Marathon may have the same problem,

Room Tip: Don't stay in Marathon unless you can sleep while wearing ear plugs
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 29, 2016

It was the only place to stay available in town when we went. The room was clean enough but not perfect. The bathroom was old and not really well maintained but definitely OK for one night.
You can hear the train from there but they give you ear plugs which is nice! (and to be honest you can hear it from anywhere in Marathon!)

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 25, 2016

Even if you don't expect the best motels in Marathon, this one is of poor quality compares with the price, which does not even include breakfast! Location is ok, but the proximity of the railway keeps you up at night.

Internet was very slow, hardly usable. Not recommended!

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed October 22, 2016

We were with a group of friends for a bicycle race in the area. We had several rooms, the apartment and an RV in the RV park. The rooms were nice but small. The bathrooms were tiny. Each room had a porch, and the grounds were lovely. There were two outdoor areas to gather and to watch the night skies. The small town of Marathon is unique with several cafes and coffee shops and other shops. It's about a 70 mile drive to Big Bend National Park.
There were a fes drawbacks but they weren't serious. Internet was slow to non-existent in the evenings. And the town and motel are very close to train tracks, and trains run about every two hours. They have to sound their horns at every intersection, and there are two in Marathon--one right across from the motel. For this reason they provide you with ear plugs. I used them after the first night and slept well.
Housekeeping was not what I am used to. They didn't come at all on Sunday. If I'd known this ahead of time, I would have been more careful with our towels.
All in all, it was a good trip and a good place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends