See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed November 20, 2017

After another hotel in Marfa messed up our room reservations they sent us to the Thunderbird Inn as a last resort.
This place is terrible. The office is across the main street and closes around 5pm. The motel, definitely not a hotel, is an old 1950s style motel that has supposedly been updated.
The floors are bare concrete. The furniture is minimal. The bed is almost on the floor. At night the courtyard is very dark and walking through it is hazardous at best. My wife tripped because of it being so dark in the courthouse and broke her kneecap. Of course there is no one at the office until 8 am or so.
Do not stay here!

Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Richard R
Reviewed October 31, 2017

We travel to Marfa often but this was our first stay at the Thunderbird Hotel. We made an impromptu stop on our way to nowhere and found the perfect room for 3 friends. It was everything you envision when you think about Marfa: Hip & trendy; mid-century modern with a Texas touch; interesting staff and guests + conveniently located. I didn't even realize that the bar across the street (where you check-in) was so awesome because it's somewhat hidden. We ended up hanging out there way longer than expected and enjoyed a great conversation with the bartender. We will definitely stay there again. Loved it.

Date of stay: November 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank audreymc13
Reviewed August 14, 2017

I have been to Marfa twice and have stayed at the Thunderbird both times (both times for weddings). The first time (2012) was great because of the novelty of staying in a motel-ish type hotel that was minimalist and hip. The second time (2017) was great too. All the recent reviews had me nervous, but I loved: 1. lavender scented local bath products (last time was Malin+Goetz which was great but not local); 2. the parking lot turned into a garden; and 3. a BIG bathroom. It is not cheap, and I had friends staying at the St George which was very modern and hip (and more expensive), but I am still a big fan of the Thunderbird. It is not luxurious by any means, but neither is Marfa!

Note: if you arrive in Marfa after.. say... 3-4-5pm, you will have to retrieve your keys from the office across the street. Again, a little weird, but I read the sign on the door, found the envelope with my keys in it, and proceeded to my room.

Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank Lana K
Reviewed April 23, 2017

I liked the courtyard area of the hotel and the room seemed clean and was reasonably comfortable if all you used it for was sleeping. As others have said there is no coffee, water or any of the typical amenities you expect with a room. However the toiletries are great and made the room smell like lavender which was nice. We walked across the street for dinner at Capri's and enjoyed that. The Buns and Roses breakfast place is a good option in the morning as it is nearby and good.

Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank P363OOpatriciaa
Reviewed April 16, 2017

I should qualify that I DO like minimalist motels. However, this property has taken it to an uncomfortable extreme. For 400$ for a two night weekend stay you will NOT get; a front desk clerk that will check you in and tell you about the property or even tell you that your room is across the highway, you will not have a tv, radio, clock, information leaflet, COFFEE SERVICE nor directions on where to find one's morning joe...which is actually down the highway at the gas station, no bottle of water, or no directions on where to locate the ice machine. What you will get is a sour bartender that hands you a key w/o a word of information or welcome. You will get roaches, beetles, and roly-polies. You will also receive, if you stay in room 10, the experience of hearing your next door neighbor each time they visit their bathroom. There is a door that connects the two rooms which is clearly is not sound proof. You will also likely encounter someone at check out (also located at the bar across the street) who seemed completely unprepared to actually print a receipt for your stay. After reading reviews I held zero confidence that should there be a mistake on the charges that they would ever be corrected. It literally took two people and 15 minutes and three confirmations that 'yes I did prefer a hard copy of the bill'.
I can only guess that this property is coasting on it's previous good reputation and no longer sees the need to provide any kind of guest service. It appears the office was not just closed for the weekend...it'd been closed since at least Jan. That pretty much sums up their attention to the guest. I have stayed at El Cosmico on a previous Marfa visit and highly recommend it.

Room tip: choose another motel
Date of stay: April 2017