“Great Italian Food”
Review of Ruggeri's - CLOSED

Ruggeri's
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Food and service was remarkable for this Italian American who normally finds fault with Italian food not made the way it was as I grew up/

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our evening at Ruggeri's. The stuffed shrimp appetizer, caesar salad, mushroom ravioli and lasagne were all delicious. It was a quiet evening, our service was excellent and the house wine was great. We will go back!

Reviewed December 12, 2012

I have eaten at Ruggeri's twice now. The first time I had the crab cakes on the brunch with a house salad. The crab were great; however, the house dressing on the dinner salad was out of this world. The second time I had the cioppino which was absolutely full of a variety of seafood in a slightly spicy marinara sauce. An indicator of how well the dish is cooked is the tenderness of the squid--perfectly tender. I can't wait to try this dish again.
The restaurant is very elegant with superb Old World service. I live 35 miles from Ruggeri's and try to eat there when I am in McKinney. This restaurant is my favorite in the entire DFW metroplex. My wife and daughter agree with my assessment. We also had my daughter's infant daughter with us on both visits.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

We went there this evening after attending the town's "Dickens of a Christmas." We walked into the restaurant and waited on a huge line because no one was at the reservation booth. There was a gentleman running around with a clipboard, not acknowledging the huge line that went out to the street. He basically took people into the dining room in line order whether they had a reservation or not. After many people were jumping up and down and waving at him, he'd stop by for a second and then run away again. I should have known this was not a good sign.

We made reservations for 8 people and mentioned that 3 of the 8 had celiac disease. We were assured that the only thing on the menu we couldn't eat was the pasta. The 3 gluten-free choices were: Veal Oscar ($25.95 - Veal scaloppine with lump fresh crab meat and a bearnaise sauce), Chicken Angelina ($17.95 chicken breast, eggplant, and mozzarella), and Scaloppine ala Siciliano ($23.95 veal "blended with eggplant", covered with marinara sauce and mozzarella). We, once again, told the waiter about our gluten issues and made sure nothing had wheat in it. He said it didn't.

After waiting 1 1/2 hours for our entrees, the waiter informed us that MOST OF THEIR SUACES have flour in them. For $25.95, I expect they could make bearnaise sauce without adding flour (you DON'T add flour to bearnaise sauce unless you are using crappy ingredients and you need to thicken it up -- I googled bearnaise sauce recipes and not ONE included flour).... When I asked about their white wine butter sauce as a substitute, I was informed that that also included flour. So, I received an overcooked piece of veal with foul-smelling "fresh lump crab meat" with a "lemon butter sauce." It was disgusting. The Chicken Angelina arrived as plain grilled chicken with mozzarella thrown over it -- basically a chicken parm without the marinara sauce. According to the waiter, the eggplant "was already prepared with flour" so they just left it out. The Scaloppine ala Siciliano was okay. The remaining 5 entrees were just okay and not worth the price.

When we complained to both the manager and owner about the two unacceptable entrees, they profusely apologized and said that this was not up to their standards. I thought at least they would take the 2 disgusting entrees off the bill. But, they didn't remove it and we didn't want to make a scene so we paid for them (which, in retrospect, was a mistake).

We did inform the owner and manager that we used to dine at their Quadrangle location in Dallas for many years, ate these entrees (WITHOUT GLUTEN), and LOVED their food. We know the quality of the food on this menu from past experience and couldn't believe how far this place has gone down hill. And, if this was a crazy fluke, they should have removed the prices for these 2 entrees off the tab. Their lack of finesse regarding this complaint made me realize this is probably not the first time they have heard these comments. I agree with the March 3, 2012 review. We won't ever go back and waste a couple hundred dollars on such junky food with managers that are inept at customer service. There seem to be plenty of nice restaurants in the town square to spend lots of money on fine dining.

1  Thank C S
Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

In one of the best downtown squares in TX, this hidden gem is right off the square. Each time I have been in, the food is delicious, and the service is great!