“Excessively priced, horrible atmoshere, great view.”

Hotel Club Vacanciel Les Issambres
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Excessively priced, horrible atmoshere, great view.”
Reviewed 27 August 2011

We entered round 19:00 o'clock, the staff was friendly and we got ourselves I think the last available room of the hotel. The atmosphere of the hotel is cheapish, especially for its pricecategory and you could smell the hotelfood all around the hotel (fish!!). The room was ok, big, but needed some repairs, like the door to enter the room. The room was clean, the view great (ocean by sunset!), but it lacked some of the necessary things you would expect at this kind of hotel, like a watercooker and a fridge. There are better hotels at the Cote d'Azur for the same money or maybe even less, but yhe hotel is close to the sea and center of the town nearby,

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank The_Traveler_NL

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2010

My UK family and I stayed at this place based on a recommendation of trying Vacanciel as a child-friendly place. As we struggled to find an ideal last minute "independent" place to stay in the very busy Cote D'Azur (July & August is the peak holiday season in France).

Other places were either too plush/expensive (which usually = not child-suitable) or too low grade. So this seemed to tick all the boxes.

The place is what one might describe in the UK as a more up-market Butlins or Pontins. So if you are in the market for the glitz and glamour of star-struck Carlton on La Croisette in Cannes, best avoid.

As we only really used the place as a literally a hotel with a pool close to a beach, when in fact it is a proper holiday club, I think it would be unfair to comment on that side of it. Suffice to say that it seems to be more geared up for French-speakers rather than the more "international" Eurocamps etc.

The grounds are private and pleasant, with a playground. So it does feel relatively secure and quiet feel. We also had parking, which for a beachy village is always a boon in crowded Cd'A

Our room was a family room. not luxurious but was clean enough and served it purpose. It had a terrace, a TV, and air conditioning. However one wouldn't describe it plush or luxurious, just functional. The only things missing were style and a bath. For young kids we had to make do with a shower.

The hotel does have its own private beach (i.e. has its own sun loungers by the sea - as anyone can inhabit any beach in France). The sand was slightly shingley and not ideal underfoot. We found that we went there once, and ended up moving on to much better other beaches in the area - though not too close by (see reasons below !!!).

The pool was nice and safe, with different areas for different ages. Not heated - or so it seemed, but you get used to it in the hot sun. Most of the times there was a lifeguard on duty. The on site loo and changing room was a nice touch, especially with young children and their "unplanned visits" to the loo !!. We had to be a little skilfull in our tactical grab for the shortage of sun-loungers as there was a shortage. Otherwise I think this was a nice area to be in.

We didn't try the restaurant (pay as you go i.e. not included) so can't comment. However what we saw of the menu, it was in keeping with the rest of the standard of the hotel i.e. average.

So purely as a hotel, the overall experience was satisfactory. Nothing special. Our main regret, was that due to the language barrier, unless your children are good at French, I wound't go here as a children's holiday club. So bearing in the "average" feel to the place, as a hotel, we felt it was a little pricey for the standard.

If however you are able to participate in the holiday club facilities for the children, and the adult entertainment in the evening, dancing and fitness, then I imagine this might have represented good value.

Now to the beaches. Although the hotel beach was pleasant, I don't know whether I am mistaken, but I thought I saw raw sewage being dumped into the "public" beach in the nearby village (ironically, the beach almost opposite the Tourist Office !!). I did sight some "human effluence", which put me off the whole place. However I must stress this is a different location to the hotel beach or indeed the hotel, which is about 1/2 km away. All the same it tainted my view of quite how safe this place, if the local village disposed of its waste this way. I don't know if this is usual practice, but I would have thought is not good for local tourism.

Apart from that, overall I wouldn't say ithe hotel was a bad place, with neat and tidy grounds and pleasant enough staff. I can't really complain about the place, but equally I would only stay there again if my children could have participated in the French-lead activities. There is of course nothing wrong with a France having its own French-speaking holiday camps!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
16.5 km away
Pierre & Vacances Village Club Cap Esterel
1.9 km away
Pierre & Vacances Village Club Les Issambres

Been to Hotel Club Vacanciel Les Issambres? Share your experiences!