The Sahara Playa 1+2 is situated within spitting distance of the main beach at Playa Del Ingles. We stayed in an apartment on an all inclusive basis for a week. The reception is a little boring but the staff friendly enough. The hotel is split into two blocks and if you selected an apartment then it involves a bit of up stairs, down stairs, up lift, down lift to get to your room. Apartments are spacious with a separate bedroom (two single beds), bathroom with shower only and a lounge diner. Basic kitchen utensils provided so you are advised to take a travel kettle. There is a TV which shows a plethoria of Spanish and German channels and for us Brits the BBC world news channel!! Bed linen is meant to be changed twice a week and towels when you drop them on the floor, but dont hold your breath. Room cleaning if you can call it that is poor. There is a safe in the room which costs 12 euros a week with a refundable 12 euro deposit.
The restaurant is average and spacious serving typical buffet type food. Food is good quality and there is something for everyone. A good thing was that the food was hot. However you do see things recycled, ie carrots for breakfeast and sprouts appear in everything.
OK the worst thing about this hotel is the all inclusive drinks option. There are three swimming pools at the hotel and all three are no bigger than fish ponds. Two in the hotel complex have a few sun beds but there is no bar at either. To get your all inclusive drinks during the day you have to sit at the third pool bar situated on the main road at the front of the hotel. The pool here is filthy dirty. The bar is small and there are no sun beds, only chairs and tables. So if you want a drink then you have to endure the noise of cars etc from the road and also the carbon monoxide fumes and dirt and dust.
However this bar closes at 6pm and to get your all inclusive drinks you have to go to the second bar within the hotel, to a room like a hospital waiting room. This room has a bar where you will meet the most miserable and rudest woman on the planet. Once you get a drink you can sit and watch some German TV program, or watch one or two elderly German couples playing cards. Sorry forgot to say that 90% of the guests are German. This bar is so boring that you will not want to go there.
I have read other reports from people who have rated this hotel highly and I have to say I am wondering whether they went to the same hotel as us. I think the all inclusive option is a waste of money and you might be better off going half board and paying for the drinks.
The hotel did not have an animation team and absolutely no entertainment in the evenings. It was boring beyond belief. There are few facilities, if any, for children. If you are a family then I would strongly suggest you look elsewhere.
The sea front has plenty of bars and restaurants and some entertainment. The Yumbo and Kasbar shopping centres are a short walk away and are good for the night life. There is a market on Wednesday and Saturday mornings at Maspalomas (get a taxi outside the hotel).
So all in all not good. We are a couple in our mid 50s and seek a quiet relaxing holiday, sun bed, good pool, drinks by pool, peace and quiet and we did not get this at all. So on my scale of 1 to 5 Turkeys ( 5 being the worst) I gave this three turkeys.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Centrally situated in the area of Playa del Ingles, only a few meters away from the main beach and a few minutes walk from the shopping centers “Kashba”, “Yumbo” and “Cita”. You can find several bars and shops in the direct surrounding of the hotel.The hotel consists of 56 tastefully designed rooms in the main building and 65 Apartments in two neighboring buildings. Facilities include a lobby with reception, lifts, internet corner and wireless internet access (against charge), a restaurant with smoking area (on the terrace), bar and terrace. At the sheltered backside of the hotel you will find the swimming pool with sun terrace. Another fresh water swimming pool is located in the apartment complex belonging to the hotel. Sun beds and umbrellas at both pools are included. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Travelocity.ca and Cancelon so you can book your HL Sahara Playa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sahara Playa Hotel Playa Del Ingles
- Sahara Playa Del Ingles
- HL Sahara Playa Playa Del Ingles, Gran Canaria