“not up to scratch”

GreenLeadersSilver level
ipswich
“not up to scratch”
Reviewed 25 April 2012

very busy hotel ,getting in to breakfast and dinner was a nightmare, kept you waiting outside till the waiters could be bothered to usher you in, very annoying, food was ok, having stayed in the vulcano many times i find it a lot more relaxing, other than that the hotel was spotlessly clean and tidy good location for beach and shops entertainment could have been better very helpful reception staff ,pool area was nice but once again very busy, all in all not my cup of tea

Room Tip: get a pool veiw room the back of the hotel has awful derilect buildings with vile grafitti not for c...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
springhoteles, Community Manager at Spring Hotel Bitacora, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you very much for sharing your review regarding your recent stay at Spring Hotel Bitacora.

We are sorry to hear you found the restaurant’s waiting time to be a nightmare. Unfortunately there can be a queue at peak times for Breakfast and Dinner, especially when we run at full occupancy, this being the case. We assure you that our restaurant team are organized and work to ensure this is kept to a minimum and we open additional dining space to ensure we can seat our guests quickly.

We hope that we can welcome you again in our Spring Hotel Vulcano instead on a future occasion.

Wishing you all the best

Spring Hoteles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,014)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Brighton
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We have just returned from our sixth visit to the Bitacora, having booked a superior room as usual. Some reviews have been less that kind concerning the need to update the room decor etc, we have never found this to be a problem although it pays to book a pool facing room.
this time the superior room had been renovated however we would have prefered the work to have been finished.

On entering the room we were dissapointed to find,

1). A damp patch on the bedroom/bathroom wall, the dampness caused from a leak at the bath taps causing peeling paint.

2). The usual full length mirror was missing from the wardrobe door.

3). No safe although when we were handed a safe key the receptionist failed to mention this.
time wasted trying to sort this out, eventualy we had to leave valuables including passports at reception, the bag was place on a shelf behind the reception desk, on full view not quite the safe we expected!.

4). The mini bar was not working.(this had to be changed) more wasted time.

These points may seem trivial but remember we had booked and paid for a superior room! when we complained and asked to be moved we were told that there was no alternative room available however after making a stronger complaint we were moved the following day by the time we had finaly moved ( with no help ) we had lost a precious day of our seven day holiday but honestly no one seemed to care.

We have always enjoyed our stay at this hotel and have recommended it to our clients, after this experience we will neither return to or recommend this hotel again.

Come on bitacora get your act together!

Room Tip: Don't book until the room upgrades are completed!.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Keith S
Dear Sir,

We are extremely sorry to hear about your disappointment regarding all the issues with your room. I can assure you that we will investigate the matter further with Housekeeping and Maintenance and will take every possible measure to prevent such instances from recurring and to keep the high standard and service that have given us the good reputation we had, and that made you return on six occasions.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused and hope that you may want to return sometime next year when all the rooms are renovated.

Wishing you all the best

Luton
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I have stayed at the BitaCora numerous times and have never had cause for complaint - the staff are lovely, especially Arsenio, the Maitre'D, in the restaurant - very good ambassador for the hotel. The facilities are spotless, pool area lovely and the rooms are gradually being upgraded so a nice surprise each time we revisit. Just a shame the prices have gone up so much this year - less visits planned.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool or side view as the front can be noisy at night when the bin men visit
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank LutonClaire
Dear Madam,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review.

We are delighted to hear that once again you have come to visit us, and that your were not disappointed.

In answer to your comment regarding the prices, we have not increased our prices this year or last year. This must be something to do with the exchange rates or TO packages. Please visit our web site were you can find a 25% Early booking discount for next winter, and the prices are exactly the same as last winter.

We look forward to seeing you sometime soon

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We have just spent a week at the Bitacora,after a gap of five years.I admit - we were hesitant as the hotel has an all inclusive option & have had some holidays from hell regarding the all you can drink !!
I can honestly say that our holiday was perfect.The hotel was immaculate,gardens stunning & lovely to see young families staying at the hotel.The hotel still has class & high standards,excellent food and attentive staff.
The only downside was seeing nearby bars,shops & restaraunts shut down due to hotels offering all inclusive.Perhaps a sign of the economic time?
We will be back later this year hopefully !!

Room Tip: Try to get a room from level five & above with pool view.We had a first class room with pool vie...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Wendy R
Dear Madam,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review.

We are delighted to hear that you had perfect stay We thank you for your lovely words on the cleanliness, the stunning gardens areas and the efficiency of our staff

We look forward to seeing you later this year.

Manchester
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Just finished our second visit to the Bitacora. Yes its very clean, yes the food is good, yes the reception is very helpful but a couple of things started to annoy me. The bar staff were very poor hampered I think by the ordering system from there hand held electronic notebooks. We didn't get a single order right for the whole week! It became a standing joke in the end.
Trying to get a sun-bed after 8.30am - forget it I have never seen a hotel that has such an acute problem with people starting to put putting towels down from 5am.
One great service was the courtesy room provided for people with late departures, it was very well organised and gave us a full day in the sun without trailing cases around and worrying about getting showered.

Room Tip: When you book ask for a pool view
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Mike I
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for sharing your review regarding your recent stay at Sprinf Hotel Bitacora.
First of all I would like to thank you very much for sharing with us your disappointment regarding our staff . I am very sorry to hear about the inconveniences you experienced with tour drinks at the bar. We will investigate the matter further with the Head Barman and will take every possible measure to prevent such instances from recurring and to keep the high standard and service that have given us the good reputation we have.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused and look forward to maybe seeing you sometime in the not too distant future

Edinburgh
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I have just returned from a week at the Bitacora with my two children. It was our first visit, and we had a great time. As others have said, the staff are friendly, the hotel is spotless and the food (variety and quality) is very good. The hotel is about a 5-minute walk from the beach and the main shopping street.

HALF BOARD VS ALL-INCLUSIVE: We booked with First Choice and went half board. If we return - or rather when, because I'd love to go back - we'll book directly with the hotel and go all-inclusive. I spent a great deal of extra money on drinks and snacks. We went to the supermarket quite a lot, but it was expensive, though not as much as the hotel. My bill on checking out was horrendous. I sometimes felt as though I was helping to subsidise the all-inclusives, and it was hard seeing other people getting it all for free, especially when our holiday cost a fortune.

MEALS: As I said, great quality and variety. Omelettes cooked on demand at breakfast, and some kind of fish and meat cooked on demand at night, plus a different kind of roast meat every night. There was free tea, coffee, juice etc at breakfast but no free drinks at night, which is what contributed most to my bill. Apparently, all the food is binned after each meal, and I would have loved to have taken a doggy bag out with rolls, fruit and cheese but feared it would have been frowned upon. It seems rather a waste not to give people that option, or at least make it clear that you can do that if you wish.

ROOM: No real issues here, apart from the risk of being locked out on the balcony - it happened to me once, although luckily my children rescued me after about 20 minutes or I would have faced the humiliation of shouting for help from five floors up. The shower is a bit tricky, and the water pressure wasn't great, but that's a minor quibble. The hairdryer was very slow to dry my long hair. I'd take my own next time. Beds comfy, and although they are like hospital beds I didn't have the problems other people have had of them sliding around the floor. The telly had some British channels, including CBBC (hallelujah!), with narration, presumably for blind people.

We were on the side of the hotel (room 541) that I've seen described here as a building site. In fact, it's an abandoned tennis club, and fascinated me. I could envisage it being done up and being amazing. Of course, the rather crude graffiti would have to be removed (you'll see if you go, if it's still there). It was quiet on that side of the hotel, even if it didn't get much sun. Great views towards Costa Adeje and the hills. You can just make out Siam Park from the fifth floor.

ACTIVITIES: Speaking of which, our best days were those when we ventured out on day/half-day trips. We went to Siam Park (excellent - the kids loved it) and the Monkey Zoo - take a taxi and some grapes, perhaps from the buffet ;-). We also hired bikes, but I would be wary of the cheap bike hire (9 euros a day). The bikes are delivered to the hotel, but the first time they sent two adult bikes and one child's, and the next day the correct bikes arrived but one of them had a slow puncture, so we didn't get very far. Luckily, they gave us a new bike very quickly. The boys who work for the company are very nice but they seem a bit disorganised. Cycling along the seafront was lovely. The kids also hired segways for 15 minutes, but were a bit disappointed that they weren't allowed to go fast (for the safety of pedestrians).

WEATHER: Great time of year to visit. Partial cloud most of the time, but that didn't stop us getting tanned. I'd describe it as being like British summertime, temperature wise, albeit with more predictable sunshine (and no rain). Not too cold at night. Watch out if you do go to Siam Park. I got burned waiting for my kids to appear from water tunnels. It only took about 15 minutes. It's easy to forget to put lotion on when you're not actually intending to sunbathe.

Finally, the vexed issue of sunbeds. Yes, there are people who go out early and reserve them but you can always do the same if you're fussed about where you sit. And there was no shortage of sunbeds when we were there. I enjoyed the sunbeds on the grass, where there were lots of trees for shade if you wanted it.

Room Tip: We were in room 541, on the fifth floor, overlooking the back of the hotel. Very quiet but sun only...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank C J M
springhoteles, Community Manager at Spring Hotel Bitacora, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for your review regarding your stay in Spring Hotel Bitacora.

We are extremely sorry that you feel the guests in All inclusive were getting their drinks and snacks for free. Unfortunately this is not the case, as they have paid a daily supplement per person to have this service. Should you wish to return do not hesitate to try this option on your next visits, as all the food and drinks, as well as snacks will be included.

We look forward to seeing you in the not too distant future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Just got back from a weeks holiday at this fantastic hotel. Travelled with my husband and 2 children aged 9 and 5. First of all let me tell you that I am VERY particular about where I stay and take time to try to choose the correct hotel. Having booked directly with the hotel we had previously arranged our transfer. We were collected from the airport by taxi and taken straight to the hotel. Check in was quick and the reception staff were very friendly and helpful. We had a superior room on the 1st floor which included a sofa bed and a camp bed which meant our children didnt have to sleep in the same bed together. I was a bit worried after reading previous reviews about staying on the 1st floor, what i will say is, if you have a young child who you want to get to sleep early then this room is not for you. We loved it as when our two were in bed we could sit on the balcony and listen to the entertainment! The room, as was all of the hotel, spotlessly clean
The children's mini disco etc is in the bar downstairs, in front of the restaurant, and they even have a children's film every night after the disco for the little ones. The main show is in the cafe bar upstairs.
We were all-inclusive and have to say the food was excellent! Lovely breakfasts, lots of different choice every night, lots of fish and lovely meats and steaks cooked before you and a section for the children with the usual chips, chicken nuggets etc. The restaurant was very busy and the bar service is a bit slow at times, but the staff were always pleasant and helpful, taking time to talk to the children. We only had lunch in the restaurant once, we usually got a toastie or something from the pool bar.
We arrived on Easter Monday and the hotel was packed and there was not a spare sunbed in sight but it did ease off as the week went on.
The animacion team work exceptionally hard organising daytime activities for both the adults and the children. Our two joined in everything from football to water polo, even colouring and crafts for the little ones. They even have a little wendy house with a WII in!
We had previously holidayed a few times in Tenerife, although not for a few years, and went away with the intention of eating out a few nights to previously favourite restaurants, but we didnt, we enjoyed the food and the hotel so much we didnt feel the need to.
All in all, this is an excellent hotel, in an excellent location, with excellent facilities. Our room was great and we were thought the food was fantastic. The only minus I would say is that the bar service was slow at times. We really enjoyed our stay and definitely will be back again soon!

Room Tip: Pool view rooms get the noise from the entertainment, especially the lower floors
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
15 Thank amwstalybridge
Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a kind and thorough review on your recent stay in Spring Hotel Bitacora.

We are so glad to hear that you had an holiday with your family and we look forward to seeing you sometime soon.