“Never again”

Ranked #37 of 45 Hotels in Midland
Ft Worth
“Never again”
Reviewed 18 May 2012

I stay in motels on average 3-4 nights a week, every night in a different city. This has got to be the wost motel yet!

The staff member at check in was very friendly, etc. She even helped me find some dinner. When I got to the room I noticed that it was an old room that needs serous updating. It had a musty smell, room wasnt very clean but hey, the A/C worked great! Walked into the bathroom to find a used bar of soap in one of the soap holders in the bathtub/shower from a previous guest. Lots of stains and just nasty dirt and dust all over the bathroom area. In fact the light fixtures were covered in dust.

I ended up with a double room because all she had with king bed was smoking. Now Im glad. I noticed some kind of a nasty looking shiny stain on one of the comforters. Both beds were horribly uncomfortable. Woke up the next morning with a backache.

Carpet was filthy and the door wouldnt open all of the way because the fridge was in the way. The TV was old and had a horrible fuzzy picture. In fact there was no audio on a couple of the stations.

When I checked out I thought that they had forgot to apply my discount for using my Corporate Lodging Card as the bill was $70 plus tax. I asked the morning clerk and was told that is the discount. He told me they normally get $100 for the room. I laughed as I thought that he was messing with me but he was serious!

I told him that I am on the road alot and I normally pay anywhere from $35 to $50 a night and the places I stay are MUCH nicer than this one. In fact many are nice suites. He just looked at me and said they charge so much because they are the only motel in Midland that accepts the CLC card and because of the oil boom. So in other words they charge an outrageous amount for the rooms because they can.

I told him next time I will drive the 15 miles to Odessa and stay there.

Oh, and no hot breakfast here... Just pastries and waffles.

On the bright side, they do have plenty of truck parking.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
lincoln, me
Reviewed 16 May 2012

our 1st rm was leaking by the closet, got another room, second rm, was dirty, smelly, surposed to be non smoking room, ash tray had some ash in it, dead flies by the bed, wrappers under bed, dirt behind door, and that was our second room. person behind counter says, did you change rooms, I said NO, that was our second room...it smelled like pee, ( that is not PROFANITY) the cooling, heater unit was dirty, money is money, you expect the rooms to be clean..it wasn't cleaned at all, he says, well we are remodeling, excuse's, excuse's, your ROOMS ARE SURPOSED TO BE CLEAN, your not remodeling the rooms...so, yah, don't stay there either....it sucked

Room Tip: I think they should check out the room first....
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 May 2012

The room was clean to the eye only. The TV worked. The manager was courteous. But, the odor in all three pet friendly rooms were atrocious. We could not stay in the room for an hour nevermind sleep in it. I became nauseous and got a headache that was relieved by fresh air. I believe it was the deodorizer used to cover petbscents. Our money was refunded.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Thank God I was only in the bed a few hours.. I'm still dealing w/ the welts left behind :o/

Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Barbara C
Texas
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We have stayed in this motel twice in the last month for medical appointments. The first time we were in a downstairs room near the pool - only a smoking room was available. The room furnishings were very worn and the bath area didn't look very clean. We hesitated to stay here again, but the rate is the most reasonable we could find in the area. This time we have a nonsmoking room in the inside area across from the breakfast area. The room is much better kept and seems to have been upgraded. The "breakfast lady" and the front desk personnel were very helpful. Please keep in mind that this is an older motel, but it is ok for an overnight stop.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I wish I could give this place negative stars. I would give it 100 negative stars. THEY HAVE BEDBUGS!!!!!!! IF I COULD WRITE IT ANY BIGGER I WOULD. STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE. The rooms are not clean. The bathroom was not clean with exposed pipes in the shower. There was open space under and around the door. Front desk staff was not helpful and the manager was VERY VERY RUDE! !!! LET ME SAY THIS AGAIN, STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Superhornet6
Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Days Inn, Midland, TX
Date of stay: 2/13-2/14/2012

This was the worst hotel experience I could ever have imagined. I typically stay at either a Days Inn or Holiday Inn location because the service and room quality are consistent. But after this stay, I will be reporting this franchise managed location to Days Inn corporate and will likely never stay at a Days Inn again!!

I was traveling last minute across the state of Texas due to a family medical emergency but as this was my return trip home I had been able to make reservations at this hotel prior to my arrival. I arrived at the hotel very tired at just after 2am and checked out at 9:30am. The worst of my stay proved to get increasingly worse over the next 24 hours.

With the belief that I would be a danger to myself or others if I left in search of a different hotel, I made the decision to overlook several issues that I will describe below and accept that I needed to get at least a few hours of sleep before I continued my drive. Therefore, as a precaution, I pulled back all the bedding to check it for cleanliness (hair, bugs, etc) and when I found none I decided that I would stay, sleep fully clothed, and just skip taking a shower. The next morning as I prepared to leave, I saw a few very tiny brown bugs run across the pillow I had just used. When I reported this to the desk clerk while checking out, she obviously didn't listen to me, since her question to me was to ask if I had I informed the night clerk about the issue and then offered me a discount on my next stay at the hotel!!!

Over the next several hours as I continued my drive, I noticed several small bug bite marks on my left arm, face, neck, and within the outer edge of my ear as the bites began to make their appearance more visible as all became much more swollen and red. By the next morning, I had to be rushed to the doctor's office because the bite marks had become so enlarged my left eye was in danger of being closed due to the swelling of my eyelid and I was nauseous and running a low-grade fever.

My stay at the Days Inn located in Midland, TX was now 4 nights ago. I am still taking prescription dose anti-histamines and antibiotics. I had to have a steroid injection and a prescription for topical steroids. I've spent 2 days nauseous and 3 days heavily fatigued as a result of the reaction my body has had to the bug bites that were confirmed by the attending physician as those created by bed bugs. I am still in the process of sterilizing all of the clothing and bedding that I had packed with me in the vehicle. I have also had to fumigate my vehicle and my house and will have to continue checking my house, my family, and my dogs for signs of an infestation over the next several weeks.

The night in the hotel cost me $71.82 and I've now currently already spent more than triple that on medical bills, cleaning costs, and pest removal; and I'll have to consider clothing and linen replacement costs for anything that does not survive being washed and dried on hot. I cannot sleep due the painful itchiness, nausea, and headaches. I cannot drive due to the effect on my depth perception with one eye so swollen. I cannot go anywhere due the embarrassment of my appearance. I cannot touch my family or my dogs due to the seepage from the bites along my arm and face. And then, of course, there is the mental distress that goes with the paranoia of the constant feeling that I have bugs crawling in my hair and on my skin.

I am now regretful that I chose to ignore what I considered to be smaller issues when compared to my safety or that of another driver had I chosen to continue driving in search of another hotel that night. My initial concern was that there was a sign on the door of the side entrance to which I had been directed to enter the building to gain access to my room that clearly stated that a key card would be required for entrance, however, the doors were broken and were not closed completely. The appearance of the main foyer housing the breakfast area and the walk-way to the interior rooms showed the hotel is a bit dated but I'm not concerned about the age of an establishment as much as the safety and cleanliness. In my room, I discovered that this door was also not well maintained. While it was not permanently stuck slightly ajar and unlockable, I had to push on the door in order to secure the latch lock and in order to unlock the door. The room was very overheated and smelly. The thermostat had been left set at 85°. It took over 2 hours for the room to cool to a comfortable temperature after I finally gave up on being able to adjust the thermostat and just turned the HVAC system off. Both drink vending machines were sold out but did not return my money. When I inquired at the front desk if there was another vending machine that may be stocked, the desk clerk rudely replied "well I guess not if you tried them". Back in the room, I wanted to wash my face, watch a bit of television, and get some sleep. I took my shoes off, stepped on several bits of sharp brown pieces on the floor that appeared like coffee beans and broken bits of the dressers, discovered that my white socks had already been stained black and put my shoes back on, then when I went to wash up I found several kinky-curly hairs on the sink, and that the towels smelled bad. This is when I decided to pull the bed layers apart to check for soiled bedding and/or bugs. The bedding seemed to be rough and uncomfortable but generally clean. As I mentioned previously, I decided to not take shower and just get a little sleep fully clothed. So began my search for the non-existent television remote control. I gave up, found the power button on the side of the television and proceeded to my next search to find an outlet to plug in the alarm clock that lay not plugged in on the desk.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo