“The Great Escape!!!!”

La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Montgomery
Reviewed 8 April 2012

This place is a great value!!! My wife and I are always trying to find places to get away tduring the spring and summer seasons. We live in Cypress, TX so the location of the resort is just far enough for us to feel like we are away.

I did not decide to book a trip for the weekend until Thursday April 5th. We love a place where we can go sit by the pool and be served drinks, or at least have access to a pool bar. We have gone to Hotel Zaza Houston and Diamond Beach Condos Galveston in the past for this type of weekend. I decided that I did not want to spend the type of money this time.

It came down to The Woodlands Resort or La Torretta.

La Torretta was the choice due to a low rate of $139 for a King Suite and reviews on Trip Advisor.

The hotel offers free valet parking. The service for us was good, but at times it did seem a little chaotic at times. This being said our service was good. Overnight parking cost $10 that is charged to the room. I hope they are planning to take the money they charge for parking and pave the lot because I now need a car wash from all of the gravel dust on my car. This is one reason that I would never give the property over a 4 star rating.

Check-In was quick and simple. I was very surprised with the room quality. I chose the lowest level king room. When we entered the room we were very pleased find it was more of a suite. There was a fully stocked bar area to our left when entering. Moving farther into the room there was a living area with couch, chair, desk, table and flat screen. The bedroom had a very nice dark wood built-in wardrobe that had two closet areas to hang clothes as well as plenty of other storage areas. The bed is a low platform bed which was fine with us, but I can see where some would not like the height. The mattress was not the best, but that is the difference in 4 and 5 star hotels. Once again for the price I will live with it. There is also a flat screen on the wall. The bathroom is huge. There is a separate tile shower at the far left side and a nice tub on the far right side. There is very nice granite vanity in the middle, and the toilet is in between the tub and the vanity. I will let you decide whether that is "functional" (in reference to other posts) for a 4 star hotel room or not. We had no complaints about the room cleanliness and it was what I would expect from a 4 star hotel.

While we did not use the sushi bar and the lobby bar, but they did look very nice.

Outside to the pool. This is the area that makes the resort. There is a heated infinity pool on the top deck. The infinity pool looks like it cascades down into the lower pool, but when they are heating it does not. The lower pool has a ledge with 3 in of water that runs the length of the pool. There are around 40 lounges in this area. This is where my wife and I sat all three days. There are also lounges around both pools. Moving closer to the lake there is a decent sized lazy river. It did look a bit narrow, but the kids at the resort seemed to have a good time in it. There is another pool that has lounges all around it. This pool has the two slides coming into it. There is also another kids area that is rather shallow and has all the play toys you see at a water park with the water bucket that falls and that type of thing. There seemed to be a splash pad that was closed off. It was the biggest eye sore at the resort. This type of thing does not change my opinion of a place, but it does some people and management should do themselves a favor and clean it up. It is gated off, but it has weeds growing and abandon lounge chairs all over the place. This is a very small area that is off to the side. There is also a nice pool bar area with tables and umbrellas. There is wait staff that goes all over the pool area. It seemed like they were training most of them with it being one of the first big weekends of the pool season. I want to say that looking at most of the wait staff walking around that they need to learn to look happy and bounce around a little more. My wife and I were so glad to be in Ashlee's section. She never let our drinks go empty, was nice, and walked around with a bounce. We only had the chicken sandwich off of the pool menu and it was good. All the other food looked and smelled very good as well. The fruity drinks were $8 which is not too bad compared to other pool bars that I have been to. I do not know what the normal beer prices are, but they had miller and shiner on special for $2 all weekend. There was also a dj and the speakers were plenty loud playing typical pool music. They also had games and activities for the kids.

We went to the breakfast buffet both mornings. The buffet is what you would expect. Anything you would want including made to order omelets. The price was a bit steep, but it did include drinks. It was $20 a person. If you added up everything we ate and drank it would probably equal that or more at Ihop, but we would not order that much.

If you do not want to eat or pay for resort food there are plenty of choices in the area on HWY 105 between Montgomery and Conroe.

If you want a place that is priced right and not too far from Houston La Torretta is for you.
We plan to go back often!!!!

This left me with

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CypressChris

Reviewed 8 April 2012

My family travelled to this resort as part of our american holiday.
We stayed at this resort for the easter weekend in April 2012. Rumours has it that the resort is filing for chapter 11. It looks in good shape though. Here the summary:
Check in was good.
We requested to have our room changed to a sofa bed extra which was done hassle free.
Our room was made up daily very average. No special attention given.
We booked through Expedia only to find out that there is a daily charge of us20 per room as a resort fee. We only used the resort facilities on our last day. Dont book through expedia because you arent getting a good deal when factoring in the extras charged by the resort.
The water park is real fun and the happy hour sushi is great.
Check out was a bit chaotic. There were also no porters available as it was too busy.
Overall an average experience.

• Stayed: April 2012
LaTorrettaResort, Manager at La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2012

Dear valued guest,
Thank you so much for your recent review of La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa. We appreciate the feedback about the resort fee and service experience at check out and with housekeeping. I am very sorry that you did not experience the service that you expect when visiting a resort and we hope to rectify this in the future. We appreciate the feedback and hope that the next time we have the pleasure of your company we will be able to impress you with above and beyond customer service.

Jaimi Fore, Manager

Reviewed 8 April 2012

We just returned from La Torretta for a weekend getaway and if I could have rated it 2.5 stars, I would have. While they've recently spent some money updating the property, some of the areas/grounds still feel outdated. And it wasn't until after we checked in that we were told only one of the restaurants were open, which meant we had to leave the resort more than we would have liked. I'm not sure what the reason is, but for having just renovated, there were many water stains (lampshade) and spill marks (carpet) in our room. The rooms however are very nicely sized and the bathrooms are very nice. It's not often that you see a double-sink vanity in a hotel/resort. And forget using the balcony, ours was covered with spiderwebs and bird poop. We did however have a nice corner unit with a nice view of the lake.

The quality of service at La Torretta is really something that needs to be addressed. Around every corner there seemed to be someone who needed a refresher in customer service. From the lengthy check in process, (it took almost 20 minutes due to the long line and only one person on staff) to the bartender that we had to remind on two different occasions that we were sitting outside and needed new drinks (who I quote said "You'll probably have to come inside if you want drinks as I'll forget about you out there") to the food service areas that just needed to be bussed. No one wants to buss their own table just to sit down and eat.

The highpoint of the La Torretta was the spa. The spa facility was very nice and the services that my wife and I received were very professional and relaxing. If you're going to La Torretta, definitely check out the spa.

Last but not least, the valet service is TERRIBLE and they park your car in a dirt lot, so be prepared for them to return an absolutely filthy car to you. Brought them a nice freshly washed car and what I got in return was a dirty, dusty mess. And you want me to pay for valet parking?! To top off our experience, when the valet brings our car he just walks away and leaves us to deal with our luggage, opening doors, etc.

For a place that calls themselves a resort, we left without that "resort feeling"

Room Tip: All rooms have free high speed internet, which is a plus. Corner rooms have a nice view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Ok so the service could be much improved but the hotel was NOT dirty, the suites were very large and quiet and the the GYM was Excellent! None of the other hotels had gyms so I chose this one and was delighted. They even had 6 Pilates machines that were not being used. Those machines alone are worth a fortune! I was delighted with the Bar upstairs...the Sushi was very good and the staff up there were so sweet. Not to mention the view was stunning over the lake...that gets a 10.
They have many huge swimming pools that look amazing so I don't what all the fuss is about in previous comments. I have another business trip here in the Fall and I am staying there again...simply a no brainer for me. Why would I want to stay in a Courtyard Marriott when i can stay at a lovely lakeside resort that has a Gold Course and amazing GYM!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Fun place to take the family and relax by the pool or on the lake. We go there often and love the rooms, staff is always nice and helpful. They need to pick up dirty towels more often around the pool. It was spring break i would like to see them staff up a bit for these type weekends. We ate breakfast at the resort and it was very good. Check out was busy and there was a wait to get our car. Places we like to go nearby...7 Leguas great mexican food and margaritas or 5 Guys Burgers (waterfront). Rent a boat or jet ski from Just 4 Fun at April Plaza Marina.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 March 2012

A lot of money was spent, not only building this thing, but also renovating it more recently. Unfortunately it was not well executed from an aesthetic standpoint and operationally is lackadaisical.

Room is nice but stark with a non functional bathroom. Staff is nice but lacks personality and knowledge of the Rea and property. Maybe it's better in he high season.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
LaTorrettaResort, Manager at La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

Thank you so much for your review of La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa. We really appreciate your review, I apologize that the feel of the resort was not to your expectations. Our goal is to provide a personable and warm experience through the resort’s décor and customer service. I will share your survey with the team, so we can improve. I hope that you addressed an issues or concerns you had with the non functional bathroom and that we were able to meet any difficulties you might have had. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience further in hopes that you will visit us again in the future. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope we have the opportunity to host you again.

Jaimi Fore, Manager

Reviewed 26 March 2012

First Time I have EVER given a review of a hotel or resort, but this place really deserves it. For the price, convenience in location (so close to Houston), quality of staff, excellent pools, amazing rooms, this place literally gets 5 stars for everything I can possibly think of. I do not have one bad thing to say about it, everything was excellent and it was a wonderful getaway. If you have kids they will LOVE it... we took our 4 yr old daughter. There are so many kids and adult pools to choose from... something for everyone. Friendly staff walk around and take your drink/food orders regularly. And of course, you are right on the lake for a great feel and view!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montgomery
6.9 km away
26.3 km away
SpringHill Suites Houston The Woodlands
15.6 km away
Fairfield Inn & Suites Houston Conroe Near The WoodlandsR

Been to La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!