“Very Comfy”

Ranked #20 of 32 Hotels in New Braunfels
san antonio
“Very Comfy”
Reviewed 3 July 2010

Rustic, old fashioned, comfortable, convenient, friendly, quiet, and clean, like Grandma's house in the country. I've stayed in a place that was too rowdy and loud and unsafe for kids, in the past. This place is family friendly and relaxing, nestled away from the traffic. Horseshoes, volleyball, and easy in and out of the river. The shuttle bus comes through often to give you and your toob a ride to the park to begin your float. I will definitely return to The Gruene Outpost.... It is a cabin setting surrounded by TREES and a RIVER. very relaxing environment.. I believe the staff have made great improvements to the outpost and i would just like to thank you

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank CaptainMo61

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
texas
Reviewed 13 October 2008

Our family has been holding a reunion at The Other Place for years. It is hard to beat because believe me we would love to find another place to go. It is a great setup in many ways for these reasons:
the playground in the middle,
the new handicap equipped unit
the River Room for group gatherings
arrangement of cabins around the common area is convenient for family groups
proximity to river, restaurants, shopping, entertainment for all ages.
They did put in some new sofas in the last few years.
The kitchen equipped cabins are convenient too.
I did notice that they swept the volleyball court of leaves and debris so it was usable.

The two bedroom units (2 full beds in each room plus a bathroom) are great for family groups and have large tables for eating.

On the downside. This is a very old and rustic place. No conveniences such as phones, TVs, microwaves, office service etc. The towels are paper thin. Bathrooms are very old. The walls are paper thin. The playground equipment is old and past its prime,,,maybe even dangerous.

Our unit this year smelled of pesticides. I have a headache and my daughter has a headache upon our return. I hope we were not exposed to anything dangerous.

Basically the owners have not put any money into this place in years. You can see many opportunities to improve on the property with just a little effort but that seems to be beyond their scope.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — bathrooms
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank txfamily4
rosenberg, tx
Reviewed 25 June 2008

the view of the camal was not great from our room, but ok due to the fact were in the woods... our shower had no hot water, so who needs hot water when you've got the camal... a bit pricey, but i'll go back pretty soon... had fun and after all your in the woods...

• Liked — the outdoors. the camal
  • Disliked — the shower, rm 141
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
Texas
Reviewed 2 June 2008

Rustic, old fashioned, comfortable, convenient, friendly, quiet, and clean, like Grandma's house in the country. I've stayed in a place that was too rowdy and loud and unsafe for kids, in the past. This place is family friendly and relaxing, nestled away from the traffic. Horseshoes, volleyball and a playground, private porch, and easy in and out of the river. Bring your own microwave and TV, The Other Place has everything else you need. The shuttle bus comes through often to give you and your toob a ride to the park to begin your float. I will definitely return to The Other Place. .... A couple of reviews prior to my review mentioned bugs and having to take out the trash. I was a bit worried about the bugs. The first thing I did after I checked in was go hunting for BUGS....there were a few bugs in the light fixtures, but none in the beds or on the floors or in the cabinets. It is a cabin setting surrounded by TREES and a RIVER. There might be a bug or two. As for the trash and cleaning up after yourself, well, it only took five minutes.

• Liked — the location is fabulous
  • Disliked — no microwave
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank pinkshoesies
austin, tx
Reviewed 4 September 2007

We were joining a large group that has stayed at this 'resort' for many years...so we already knew it was not a high-end operation. But, we expected a simple, clean room.
Our room however, was incredibly filthy. The room had a disgusting smell that we could not ever get rid of. AFter the 2nd night - we realized that one of the beds in our 2 queen room was totally infested with BED BUGS!!!! We have all come home from our weekend trip covered with horrible rashes (including our 3 young children). We are still itching and suffering several days later. We have had to wash or 'quarantine' everything that we brought on the trip for fear of bringing the bed bugs home. The worst part - the manager of the 'resort' did not apologize nor did he really care when we showed him the problem (which was indisputable when viewing the mattress covered in the bed bugs!).
I agree with the earlier review...the location is great...but certainly not worth the experience that we had.

• Liked — location on the river
  • Disliked — rooms were not clean
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank lizzieluu
dallas
Reviewed 20 August 2007

We stayed here for three nights to conclude our summer fun. The location is great - right on the Comal River. The "cottages" are just that- basic sleeping and eating. Nothing fancy - but good basic accomodations. I loved that there is no TV (although there is a cable for access if you bring your own). The inside of the horseshoe shaped property is fantastic - tree covered horseshoe pits, volleyball court, swings, seesaws. picnic tables and barbeque grills galore. All cottages have private balconies overlooking the river- town is walking distance. Great place to make great family memores.

• Liked — location and outdoor amenities
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank travelfamilyDallas
houston,tx
Reviewed 15 August 2007

We rented a cottage just this week and i was so dissappointed. The cottage is old and dirty. I could not believe the condition on the bathroom...The pots and pans were horrible I would not even touch them. There were dead bugs on the window sills, kitchen cabintes were filthy...

The location its self is great but its not worth the stay. I check out the resort right in front of us and I was amazed how clean and big the condo was. And that place was just $2.00 more per night then where we stayed and they had a built in pool. I believe that was Camp Warnecke. I would stay there next time. This was our first and last stay at "The Other Place"

Stayed August 2007