“Fire at candlewood” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 26 Hotels in Round Rock
athens, tx
“Fire at candlewood”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2010

The morning after my stay the fire alarms started going off. When we got downstairs the staff were in their own little corner. no concern for the guests at all. Finnally we were allowed to go get our belongings and the staff wouldn't do it for me. I have been sick, as has my daughter and no one seems to care. here's the kicker, this same fire happened less than a month ago so they are putting lives at rjsk because they are lazy. i must say a very bad choice!!!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank barbiwils311
Manager_CSRR, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Austin-Round Rock, responded to this review, 11 August 2010
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Candlewood Suites. I am very sorry that you experienced such problems during your stay. I understand it must have been frustrating as well as scary to have to be in an emergency situation in an unfamiliar place with no direction given to you. Unfortunately the hotel did suffer a small fire in February and thankfully nobody was hurt. There were some electrical issues with our employee dryer that were immediately corrected. I would like you to know that your comments are being taken very seriously by myself and the hotel team as a whole. We have re-evaluated our emergency procedures and have begun to make it a point to practice drills atleast two times a month. I understand this does not make up for the experience you had while with us, but in response we have been working diligently to resolve any issues we had at the time of your stay and to ensure an incident such as the one you experienced does not happen again.

Again, I sincerely apologize for the problems you experiened during your stay. Your comments are very important to us. It is the feedback we receive from our valued guests, such as you, that helps us to better pinpoint any problem areas the hotel may have. With this knowledge we are better able to take the necessary steps to ensure similar situations do not happen in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Gurgaon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2009

Stayed here in Dec 07 for 1.5 months. This is a pretty good hotel. No frills but you get a decent 1 bedroom suite with a good kitchen. Excellent for long stays. Very good location. Lots of entertainment around. The rooms are super clean and the staff very helpful. No breakfast though.

Stayed December 2007, travelled on business
georgetown
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2008

First off the hotel is not by any means comfortable. It offers no room service, meaning not even clean towels are brought to your room or trash cans are emptied. When I asked about this, they said they offered weekly cleaning. Yet the rate is $123.00 per night. At checkout, I was charged an incorrect rate and then when I tried to fix the rate, the manager said he was going to charge me $50.00 for cleaning services due to dirty towels and trash from packages that I received from UPS and opened so that I could pack items in luggage. Also, in one pic packing materials that I did not scatter were scattered purposely so that room would look like trash had been scattered throughout instead of being left in one spot under the table by trash can as I left it. I have never in all my travels encountered such awful service. I guess I was expected to take my trash with me and wash their towels. Unbelievable. I was then sent pics by the manager to confirm. Yes, it confirmed that their were dirty towels left by the toilet in restroom, boxes and trash by the trash can and some packing material that fell out of boxes. Oh sorry, also I did not clean up the kitchen counter before leaving, Incredible!!!!!!! If you stay here, make sure you bring a broom and cleaning items so that you may not be charged for cleaning services which you did not even benefit of during your stay.

• Disliked — Management, taken advantage of
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank yeni5000
Shelton, WA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2008

For a modest price, this hotel provides free internet access, a full kitchen, free washer and dryer, free movies to borrow, free coffee, a convenience store, and a great staff. HOWEVER, you need to stay at least 4 nights and the beds are awful for more than one person. They are 5 inchess from a wall and impossible to get in that side without crawling over another person or having them get up. Even the maids complain about how hard it is to make the bed. With so much positive, the beds are a serious negative.

• Liked — All the freebes
  • Disliked — The beds were awful
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
East Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2007

We had a "clean, comfortable room" for our one-night stay at this hotel - but the 3-star price we paid definitely wasn't a good value.

The decor was extremely spartan, along the lines of Super 8: bare walls, ultra-inexpensive-looking furnishings with TVs perched on top, fluorescent lighting throughout.

The mechanical flaws: bedside lamps which could only be turned off by unscrewing the bulbs, a broken switch for the overhead bedroom light, and an improperly-installed shower faucet which could deliver either too-hot or too-cold water but not warm water.

In fairness to the hotel, we didn't request maintenance or a room change and so can't speak to how quickly or well the broken lights and faucet might have been resolved. When I reported the problems next morning at checkout, the very pleasant desk clerk told me the bedside lamp problem was property-wide and in the process of being renovated; she took note of the other problems.

With its mini-kitchen, ample space, and a heavily-discounted rate (the first question we were asked on check-in was if we were military), this would be a perfectly fine choice for a home-away-from-home extended stay. But for the Hilton/ Hyatt/ Marriott-level price we paid, this property simply didn't measure up to the standard we expected.

• Liked — Spacious
  • Disliked — Bare-bones, not-great state of repair, overpriced
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
Temple, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2004

This is a very nice clean hotel, and is perfect for business travelers and people who are relocating. All the rooms have full kitchens and vcrs. The price is affordable, too. I recommend this hotel highly.

• Stayed January 2005, travelled on business