US$53
US$50
US$60
US$51
Lone Star Inn(San Benito)
US$60
US$83
CandlewoodSuites
  • Pool
US$64
Value Place Harlingen(Harlingen)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 04/08
US$56
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed December 5, 2011

My wife and I started our south Texas birding adventure at Vieh's Bed and Breakfast. We choose to stay in the Mama Grande room which is spacious, quiet, private, very clean and decorated with family memorabillia. Charlie and Lana (the owners) were very gracious hosts. When we asked for recommendation on local restaurants, they suggested we join them at their favorite local bar-b-que steakhouse. After dinner Chalie drove us down back roads looking for the elusive Pauraque. Thanks to Chalie, we got to add this bird to our life-list. Breakfast consisted of eggs, bacon or sausages, fresh fruit and orang juice. It was well prepared and we left well fed for our day of birding. Charlie is very knowledgeable of local birding "hot-spots" and provided us with good recommendation on areas to visit.

Room Tip: We only saw the Mama Grande room and would recommend it. Because of its isolate location, Vieh's could be hard to find without GPS, If you do not have GPS, ask for directions.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MercedBirder
Reviewed August 5, 2008

I agree with the other post. If they people are so dang religious they shouldn't be so filthy. HELLO? I agree with the other post, the people were sometimes RUDE and nasty. I wouldn't send my worst enemy there not even for a day. These people are obviously not trained in any sort of hospitality industry approved courses. Maybe they cleaned rooms once.

• Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank MisterMojo
Reviewed March 23, 2008

If one is looking for a true Texas experience, then Vieh's Bed & Breakfast is the place!! Charlie and Lana's (owners) knowledge of Texas and Mexico nature, wildlife, culture, and traditions is vast! The rooms are decorated with antiques, family memoirs, beautiful quilts, and nature-oriented items. The rooms are clean and interesting. The food is great! One will never go hungry!! The Vieh's are intelligent, spiritual, and down right neighborly people. This is not only a Bed and Breakfast but a true cultural experience. Have fun!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank fjpfish
A TripAdvisor Member
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed December 4, 2005

Charlie Vieh's has themed rooms which are cute. One has it's own bathroom, and the rest you share. They are clean. All but the one big "mama grande" room, named after Charlie's mom is tiny. You hardly have any place to put your stuff and have to walk around the room sideways in one of them. The food was not first rate. In fact, it was the worst kind possible...I didn't eat. The cheapest of all brands with more fillers and chemicals than actual food. I also noticeed poor sanitary habits when it came to preparing the food. One of my biggest turn offs was the sign of "religion" EVERYWHERE. I respect people of all religion and their values and beliefs, but I don't like getting it thrown in my face from morning until night. Open bibles everywhere, plaques with christian sayings, crucifixes everywhere. I mean, from the bathroom to the kitchen. There is one bible in the front room that is about 40 pounds and is huge. Total turnoff. Also, Charlie was rude at times and would not go out of his way if HE FELT ones request was something that he thought was out of the ordinary. The trip into Mexico with him was in a filthy, disgusting van that hadn't been washed in years. He never cleaned the windows. The seats smelled and he never helped with luggage or anything else. Our group tour had to press him for details about our days plans, motels, food, etc. which he was not forthcoming with easily. Probably, because he didn't have a clue. Get this. He actually "FORGOT" to make reservations for a tour group of 10 into remote Mexico. So instead of staying in 2 other places, we were constantly packing/unpacking/changing motels. The trip was ruined because of this. One day, we had no place to stay and just "took a chance" at the only place to stay in a remote mountain top. We also ALL received chigger bites our first day because he stopped in a filthy "park" to eat lunch, which of course lasted weeks. He wasted 12 of my precious vacation days. I never return and will never recommend, in fact, I would advise to stay away. All this is unfortunately accurate. I'm actually leaving some stuff out, because I don't want to be so very negative, but I can say more. I'll leave it at that.

• Stayed: August 2005