“South Padre Island Rip-Off”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #28 of 32 Hotels in South Padre Island
Reviewed 13 March 2015

After booking and paying for my room on the internet, like I have done for 20 years, I get to the motel and the front desk informs me there is a 25.00 per person property access fee to be able to stay in my room. There is also a 200.00 CASH deposit. This was not mentioned when I booked this room on the internet. I called the Corporate Management (Choice Hotels) and after two hours of wondering where I was going to stay, Choice Hotels Customer Service finally had those extra charges dropped. The problem remained that while I was finally checking in, two other groups were in the lobby telling the front desk they didn't have the extra money on top of their already paid for rooms. If I could have found another room in the area, I would not have stayed in this motel.

Room Tip: They charge a 25.00 per person property access fee and 200.00 CASH deposit. Avoid this pain.
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
9  Thank Jerry C
There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge

Reviewed 21 February 2015

The management is in the process of improving this property. I wouldn't expect it to become a true luxury motel anytime soon; but while we were there there was a lot of work being done. The wi-fi has now been improved, and works over the entire motel.
They also are taking certain steps to weed out undesirables, and avoid giving them rooms.
They have some very low weekly and monthly rates over winter, until the start of spring break in March. There are a lot of “Winter Texans” from up north who stay here.
We found our room to be fairly comfortable, fairly large, and reasonably clean. (But not spotless.) The room wasn't as nice as some of rooms at the better chains; but was better than the rooms at many of the other economy chains we have stayed at.
There were some condition problems with the toilet and toilet seat, and the drapes had small worn spots in them. The jacuzzi worked only a couple of days that we were there. A person used to only luxury accommodations might be upset by some of these issues.
We found the room to be an overall good value, considering that some places on the island would cost 2 to 4 times as much as what we paid.
The manager Omar was very responsive. And the ladies at the desk, Brenda and Alexis, were very friendly and helpful.
This is not a luxury hotel, and probably never will be. But we enjoyed our stay here. If they keep their reasonable winter prices, we will be back.

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Quartzslab
Reviewed 26 October 2014 via mobile

I didn't expect much considering all the poor reviews. It wasn't nearly as bad as the reviews, but it wasn't great. The bed was clean and comfortable. The floors and bathroom were clean. About half the lights didn't work, the door would stick and the furniture needs an update. Staff were friendly.

Stayed: October 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Cameron C
Omar P, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2014

We thank you for your response. It is our goal to make every guest experience the exceed expectations. We are constantly making changes to keep our guest happy and provide the best value on the Island. We hope that you return and see what further changes we have made.

Reviewed 12 September 2014

My husband and I went to south padre island for our honey moon, the bathroom walls needed to be painted the toilet made noise all night, breakfast was always limited as well as parking, the staff was not very friendly, every time house keeping would make out room they would either not put towels or something was always missing we tried calling front desk from our room many times to tell them, they wouldn't answer until we called from our own cell phones or actually walked to the front desk! My husband and I tried getting ice we were told by a man very rude that we can only get a little bucket because ice was also limited. I wouldn't recommend this hotel. We checked out on a Friday around 530 am we were told they were out of paper to print us a receipt this was unexceptable. Wifi was not working when we called from desk to reset it, it took them about 1 hour to do so.

Room Tip: I wouldn't recommend this Hotel to anyone I would do a timeshare which is a house you can rent c...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jaqueline M
Reviewed 9 September 2014

Although not anywhere close to being new and sparkly, it was very comfortable and clean. We had a larger king room with a kitchenette. Everything was clean and in working condition. The bed was quite comfy. The "continental breakfast" had only a couple of choices. All in all, it filled the need for a clean, comfortable room after a day at the beach, which was only a short walk away.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michele V
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I'll admit, I chose this hotel because I got a great price. You get what you pay for. The room was dirty and falling apart. The shower barely worked - my daughter and I have long, thick hair and we couldn't get the shampoo out. The breakfast was a joke: mini chocolate donuts and white toast. I know the fact that our neighbors got in a fight and we had to call the front desk to come break it up, is not the fault of the motel. But we weren't there during spring break and thought it would be quieter.
Staff was friendly, helpful and they did break up the fight quickly, but I've learned my lesson. I'll pay $20 more a night for a better place.

Room Tip: If you plan on drinking heavily and passing out, immune to the noises of the other loud guests, any...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank PeachesinTX
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I was going to put my resent stay with the hotel down as a bad experience because I just don’t think I can articulate in words how disgusted I was during our stay, however since they billed my credit card after I have already paid through hotels.com I have to enlighten others on our adventure. Upon our arrival at 5PM our room wasn’t ready so we went out to eat and walk the beach. Upon our late return we were ready for a hot shower and bed. While my wife was in the shower I unpacked my overnight bag, upon placing my empty bag on the shelf of the towel holder it fell off of the wall. When I was in the shower my wife turned back the bedding to reveal blood stained spots 6-8 inches in diameter and black dog hair everywhere. I think they had been washed but they were still disgusting. She called the desk, no answer, therefore she walked to the office and spoke with the attendant. After 45 minutes of waiting my wife called again, no answer, so down the hall she went. The attendant apologized for forgetting. The sheets were delivered about 15 minutes later and we made the bed. I digress to when I was in the shower I flipped the lid to the toilet and there was streaks of something on it. Definitely not sanitary but we were tired. I left the lid up and figured they would clean it the next day. Our breakfast turned into cereal and donuts from a six pack. We left the room early the Thursday morning and headed to Brownsville. Hit everything and watched the Dallas game that night. Upon return there were no towels. 10PM no towels, 11PM retrieved our own towels out of the dryer, midnight there was a knock on the door with towels. Did I mention that the feces streaks were still on the toilet lid? The next day we had an early show for a fishing trip so I called to get a wake up, but no one answered the phone. Are you seeing a trend? The clock radio was too crusted over to set. All-in-all this is by far the worst hotel we’ve ever stayed and we’ve traveled the world. Never once did the desk attendant pick up the phone, the towels were a constant issue, toilet was never cleaned and we continued to find black animal hairs in our bed throughout our stay. You can’t make stuff like this up so check out the pictures. Now to top it off I have been billed by the hotel after I have already paid hotels.com and we discussed this with the desk rep when we checked out. If I hadn’t prepaid I would have left upon arrival, but they had me. I have consulted the hotel via telephone and Econo Lodge corporate website with no resolution. Additionally, I have engaged with hotels.com and filled a discrepancy with my bank for them to intervene on my behalf to resolve the issue. If you want a fun, inexpensive family vacation with friendly people I highly recommend South Padre Island, however I would mark this hotel off your list of potential places to bed down for your stay.

Room Tip: Drive to another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family