“Great for the cost! ”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #28 of 32 Hotels in South Padre Island
Reviewed 26 July 2015 via mobile

This was so much better than we expected. We were prepared for a genuine economic experience with bugs and just a bed. The staff was friendly though, the room was decent, the bathroom was clean and the pool was fun. I was surprised that the cheapest room even had a kitchenette. The breakfast is small, basically just cereal and oatmeal but again, for the price it was fine. It's about priorities. If you'd rather spend your money on a nice hotel, don't stay here. If you'd rather spend your money on activities and experiencing the island, this is a great economic way to stay.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Ashley R
There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge

Reviewed 23 July 2015 via mobile

The long list of why you should avoid this place is hard to start. I guess I'll start with the grounds themselves. The parking lot is full of potholes and trash is littered about the place. There are bags of trash left in the walkways and swampy pools of water everywhere from leaking pipes. The ice machine is always out and the rooms smell off. They don't clean the rooms until maybe five or six at night and the hotel is constantly noisy with kids running up the stairs till midnight and shouting from the pool area. The wifi never worked for more than five minutes at a time and the rooms are dim and uncomfortable. The free breakfast is a box of cereal and a gallon of milk left on the counter in the office. That's what I get for trying Priceline's express deal!

Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Mary G
Reviewed 20 July 2015 via mobile

First off the rooms are dirty. The pool had so much chlorine in it, it was like pouring hot sauce in your eyes! So after our few minutes in the pool we got out and used the 3 towels that were in our 4 person room. I walked to the front desk to ask for more towels and was informed I could walk to the laundry and ask for them, then when I did I was told I had to bring my dirty towels first so I walked back to the room got those brought them back to exchange asked for a 4th towel since there were 4 people in our room and was told no there's only 3 towels allowed per room! The service was horrible the room was dirty and the pool was terrible I wouldn't stay here again if you paid me to!

Stayed: July 2015, travelled on business
3  Thank cheermom0322
Reviewed 19 July 2015 via mobile

After reading some of the reviews I wasn't sure what to expect. When we arrived there were a lot of people hanging out in the parking lot and grilling and it was kind of loud. Checked in and staff had everything ready for us and were very nice. The room was average as expected but was clean and mostly well kept. I wasn't sure about all the noise, however once it was quiet hours everything was quiet and had no problems throughout the night. The hotel isn't right on the beach but definitely within short walking distance which was nice. Only problem was housekeeping didn't come until sometime after 6 and even then only replaced the towels. Beds were left unmade and floors unswept. However I would stay here again and we enjoyed our stay!

Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Heather S
Reviewed 18 May 2015 via mobile

Every time we go to the island we use a different hotel, its way to ugly and gross and prices are going ridiculously high, so i found this one and really enjoyed it, will be going bak and this will be our new go to hotel at the island, for me and my entire family!.

Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Irene R
Reviewed 27 April 2015

The room was nice for the price. It was clean. I had wi-fi in the room. They served a continental breakfast in the morning. It is not a resort to hang out at, but great for a place to sleep and then head to the beach!

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Julie G
Reviewed 13 March 2015

After booking and paying for my room on the internet, like I have done for 20 years, I get to the motel and the front desk informs me there is a 25.00 per person property access fee to be able to stay in my room. There is also a 200.00 CASH deposit. This was not mentioned when I booked this room on the internet. I called the Corporate Management (Choice Hotels) and after two hours of wondering where I was going to stay, Choice Hotels Customer Service finally had those extra charges dropped. The problem remained that while I was finally checking in, two other groups were in the lobby telling the front desk they didn't have the extra money on top of their already paid for rooms. If I could have found another room in the area, I would not have stayed in this motel.

Room Tip: They charge a 25.00 per person property access fee and 200.00 CASH deposit. Avoid this pain.
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family