“Bad, bad experience”

Suntide II Resort Condominiums
Reviewed 19 September 2010

My husband, my son and his girlfriend and I made a reservation at the Suntide II condos after researching many other condos in the area. From what I read, and after talking to Aurora, the onsite manager on the phone, I decided this was the place for our Monday - Thursday beach vacation. When we checked in we were informed that starting on Weds at 10 am painters would be working on property. I was upset because nobody told me that when making the reservation. Guess what? On Tuesday (and not Wednesday) I was woken up at 8 am by drilling and hammering outside our window. Painters were preparing the walls, caulking, and drilling. We chose our condo because we liked the idea of having a ground floor condo and throughout the day not only did we hear all the drilling, etc but workers took over our patio, moved chairs away and worked on our patio all day. Our quiet and relaxed view became a dust cloud. The next day the workers moved to another unit, we got our patio back but no peace and quiet as they continued working. I complained several times and talked to Aurora, the onsite manager, which she was non responsive. She gave me $60 discount when I checked out and I feel she should have paid me for staying there. I planned my trip, save my money and was looking forward to escape the "rat race" of Dallas for some days of relaxation instead I felt I should have packed a hard hat instead of a swimming suit. I was mislead, I was lied because I was never told about the remodeling that would be taking place. If I had known, I would have never stayed there. The condo? Old but nice with the exception that the kitchen was bare, no necessities, like basics, salt, sugar, etc. Only pots and pans. I need to know who owns Suntide II so I can contact them direct. They should have scheduled maintenance renovation when the condos are empty or close down as many others do.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank lorearmand

Reviewed 19 July 2010

The Suntide II is in a great location with beachfront access and a nice pool and hot tub. The condo is average in terms of upkeep and cleanliness. There is a coin washer and dryer on the 2nd and 4th floors. It costs $1 for each load to wash and $1 to dry. We stayed in Condo number 406. If the laundry room was not on our floor, I imagine I would not have used it, as it would be a pain to go back and forth.
The condo was recently redone with new countertops and cabinets. I'm not sure what else was done to it. There is tile floor but the kitchen utensils, plates etc...are sparce. We wanted to grill one night and the condo didn't have a lighter or matches. We went to the management office and they couldn't help us either. We ended up borrowing a lighter from a neighbor. There are no games, books or even a DVD player in the unit. There were not enough rugs in the unit. I personally do not like to walk on all tile floor at a beach setting where sand gets tracked in and has no place to settle.
I feel like for the price, we could have done better. If it was less expensive we would probably stay there again.
The Suntide II is right next to a public beach access. This is a good thing because there is sparce parking and it is necessary to use the parking in the beach access lot. It is a bad thing because come Friday, all the locals come and play at the beach, making the beach very crowded. It would be nice to stay at a place that has a private beach.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank acmooretx
Reviewed 17 August 2009

unit # 401,while checking into condo the maintainence man came to install the 2nd bathroom shower door wich had fallen into bathtub.he then advised us to use the masterbath room shower since he was unable to repair the shower door ( missing roller).with 3 adults and 2 children it was very inconvenient to say the least.also the master and 2nd bathroom sink was plugged up.i was able to plunge the master sink free. no response from maintanence.kitchen dirty,desk staff where nice .

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 May 2009

We traveled to South Padre Island in May of 2009 and stayed in unit 103 for 3 nights and had to move to unit 104 on the 4th night due to a change in booking on our part. When we arrived, the outside looked descent, although I know it is hard to keep exteriors looking pristine near a beach. We were pleasantly surprised when we entered our condo. It was large, looked clean and well furnished and exchanging linens was easy to do. We were told there were beach chair and umbrellas for us to use, and that was not the case. There were a few umbrellas and chairs put out as late a 10 am, but beware! If you use these you will owe a 3rd party a $20 rental fee. There is no signage and the info given to us was misleading. On another note, although the place seemed clean, we did find a roach in the drawer with our clothes - yuk!
When we moved to the unit next door, although it looked like it had more expensive decor, it smelled really bad. I felt like I was at my grandparents and was so ready to leave.
Overall it was not awful, and we have been renting condo units in Destin for years! It was good for what we paid.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank amallen23
Reviewed 9 July 2008

Our visit to Suntide II in South Padre Island was relaxing and enjoyable. Aurora in the office was accommodating and knowledgeable.
We stayed in 103 on the ground floor. It was clean and looked like it had recently been redone. The lovely master bedroom had a new handicapped walk in shower. Each condo is individually owned, so there are differences. Unit 103 has easy access to the beach and pool and a great view. It has two bedrooms. All very comfortable!!
Next time we are going to stay in 301. This unit is larger and has 3 beautiful bedrooms with easy access to the beach and fantastic view as well.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank GoAndDo
Reviewed 5 April 2008

As long as you plan to be outside more than inside on your vacation to South Padre, then Suntide II may be alright for you. However, you may want to bring your own linens, as ours were gritty and marginally clean. The entire condo, although reasonably well furnished and updated, was pretty dirty. Our boys would play around, sit on the floor, etc. and stand up covered with fuzz and other people's hair. Gross.

The kitchen had plenty of dishes and silverware, but if you want to do something as simple as cook a frozen pizza or some canned biscuits, you would be lucky to find a clean pan or baking sheet.

Also, the tub in the second bathroom did not hold water, so our little kids were sent to the master bathroom for their baths, which left all four of us sharing one bathroom every evening while cleaning up for dinner.

The location of the condo was great, the beach was nice, and it was very quiet and not at all crowded. However, because of the nasty conditions inside our unit, we will definitely not be back.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank TXgaviota
Reviewed 1 April 2008

My sister & I stayed here for our "sister vacation"> We are 60 & 62 yrs. old and like both activites and relaxation. Our condo was right on the beach witha beautiful ocean view. It had a covered patio. The patio furniture was uncomfortable. The pool was just a few steps away. It was clean & large, also with an ocean view. Adjacent to the pool area is a "tiki" deck with thatched roof tables and lounge chairs. Very nice. The furnishings in our condo was a bit outdated, but clean & comfortable. The kitchen was well equipped. The condo is centrally located and is close to restaurants and island attractions. We checked in at l:00 pm , a little early, with no problems. The service was okay. Stormy the mgr. could have been a little friendlier, but Ben the handyman made up for him. We enjoyed our 10-day stay here and are returning this Sept, 2008 for a 2-week stay.

Stayed: September 2006