“Good, old time fried fish and shrimp”
Review of La Jaiba Seafood Restaurant - CLOSED

La Jaiba Seafood Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed 6 December 2014

This is not the newest, shiniest place you will ever visit. It has been located on South Padre Island in the same building for over 30 years. But the people are friendly, and the fish and shrimp are very good, some of the best on the island in my opinion. I have eaten there many times over the years since 1989, most recently August of 2014. Every time I have eaten there, the food has been hot and very tasty. There is not a huge variety. If you don't eat SEAFOOD, don't go! That is all they serve, aside from a couple of kid's menu items like chicken fingers and corny dogs. But for the adults, seafood is it. Period! But if you want the best fried (or broiled, but get the fried) fish and shrimp, this is IT! Not the cheapest either, but they do have some specials.

Reviewed 4 November 2014

Saw this place the first evening we were on the Island before asking anyone. We later asked and the local opinion confirmed our feelings. Food was poor, service surly and it became a joke whenever anyone asked "Where are we eating tonight."

1  Thank Traveler3135
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Service was bad. Should have known something was wrong when we were the only one there during the lunch hour. The seafood was not fresh and over cooked so it was chewy and nasty greasy. I smelled the grease as they put my plate down. My kids ordered burgers and the meat didn't look like ground beef. In addition, it took FOREVER for the food to come out. Really no reason to come here unless you want to waste your money.

1  Thank NicolePG123
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Terrible service, horrible foods cooked from frozen, dirty old place, rock in the water, prices not worth it, the waitresses had a face as if they don't want to serve their customers.

1  Thank Fillmyskywithlove
Reviewed 10 June 2014

The service was attentive, but the seafood tasted like it came out of the frozen food aisle at HEB...but then again, HEB has good products.

I felt like I paid $30 to eat frozen fish sticks. I genuinely wanted to like this place, but I could find no redemption in the food. I would suggest improving the technique in which you fry your seafood and perhaps using fresh fish instead of whatever I was served. You are located on the gulf, how hard could this be?