“Great Zip”

Cypress Valley Canopy Tours
Ranked #4 of 12 things to do in Spicewood
More attraction details
Owner description: Join us at Cypress Valley Canopy Tours for a thrilling eco-adventure, where you fly through the canopy of old-growth cypress trees, some up to 100 feet tall. A new world unfolds as you glide on steel ziplines from platform to platform high in the tree tops. Cypress Valley Canopy Tours is a place of adventure, nature, fun, and relaxation. Come soar through the trees, harnessed in climbing gear, for an exciting look at Texas Hill Country nature from a completely new perspective. Our guides will escort you on an individual, group, company, or family adventure where you will have your adrenaline rush as you learn about the local ecology from a bird’s eye view. Not ready to leave this nature lovers dream? The ultimate sleepover beckons – sleep 30 feet up in an old-growth cypress tree in any of our four treehouses. Join us and renew your experience of nature on our exhilarating Canopy Tour in Spicewood, Texas USA, just 30 miles west of downtown Austin.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
New Braunfels, Texas
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great Zip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

Fun place, great guides. Just wish it could have lasted longer!!

Visited May 2011

San Antonio, Texas
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Save your money for a larger facility”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

We went on the Canopy tour and while it was enjoyable there were many negatives. First we showed up early and were told to wait in the picnic area until our tour was ready. Some indoor or sheltered seating would have been welcomed on this chilly morning. Second our tour started half an hour late. We were finally taken over and set up in our harnesses and helmets then taken to the "ground testing" area on the far side of the lake. You have to walk on a ledge about two feet wide across the nasty brown water. Why they let people swim in that water is beyond comprehension. They then demonstrated what to do and how to stop. When it was my turn I messed up a little and the "guide" Natalia had a sarky comment about me being nervous. Ummm, no, this is just the first time I have done this, of course I wont be perfect. We finished up and went to the course. They have you stand on an unstable tree stump to set up you up on the zip line. This was the most nerve wracking experience of the day! Standing on a shaky stump 40+ feet in the air on a ledge. One of the other women almost fell off of one of the stumps.
I can only speak for my turns but Natalia was HORRIBLE at giving the signal to stop. My first two times I had stopped way too late and almost crashed. Thankfully the other guide was the one giving the signals on all the other turns.
They also spent a LOT of time just talking about non-sense. This was an "Eco-tour" so they did tell us some facts about the plant and wildlife and that was fine but they told way to many jokes and spent much time chit-chatting.
There are three sky-bridges you half to walk over during the course. The gaps are about 8-12 inches between the boards and there is a lot of movement. Well, we don't think it is funny to shake and bounce from behind while there are three paying customers making
their way across but I guess Natalia does.
I did have fun when I was zipping but the overall experience was lacking.
If this is your only opportunity to zip line then I guess it is a good choice. I will wait until I can go to a larger facility until I go zipping again.

Visited March 2012
5 Thank sissy_ib
Norfolk, Virginia
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Slept in Lofthaven-great for outdoor adventurous people”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

Since we were staying in Lofthaven, we were scheduled for the last zip of the day and it was just us. Not sure if that is how it always works out. We enjoyed the eco-guides and how much time they took educating us about the various trees, plants, and animal life in the area. We have been on more thrilling longer zips, but this one was fun also and certainly more educational.

The best part of our experience was the adventure of sleeping in the treetops. There is a small wooden bridge that connects the nice bath house to the sleeping accommodation tent. You must go outside of the tented area to access it. There are lights to help guide your way at night. They park your vehicle right next to the bath house so you have easy access to your belongings and the freedom to come and go as you please.

The swimming hole was dried up due to the terrible drought conditions. You are not allowed to zip out of your treehouse once you are checked in and guides have left. They do not have any hiking trails, nor are you allowed to explore the area below your sleeping accommodations due to wildlife, snakes and scorpions that might be present. We heard critters, saw plenty of huge beetles on the outside of the tent screens, and found one live scorpion in the bath house.

They provided us with carafes of water and iced tea. A couple homemade dark chocolate pieces of unsweetened candy, all the fixings for coffee or tea in the morning. The tented treehouse is equipped with a couple games, a guestbook to journal about your visit (stays in the treehouse), a flashlight and a big can of Raid Insect Killer. It is very quiet and peaceful. Perfect for reading, writing in your own journal, or playing games you brought.

You are there alone, but the owners/property caretakers are nearby and were told not to panic if we see vehicles or hear noises at night. Neither of which took place. We were given a contact number to call in case of an emergency .

We were there on a very hot night and there was only one swival fan that stood about 3 ft tall from the floor. We moved it to the foot of the bed and placed it on a foot stool in our attempt to keep cool while sleeping. It would have been nice to have had a couple of of fans on stands that could have provided a cross breeze, but then again we were there for the glorified camping experience.

In the morning a staff member zipped by checking all the lines for safety. We were required to be up and ready to go mid morning since the zip lining tour groups were starting. It certainly was a unique experience and we were all glad to have visited this part of Texas.

Visited June 2011
4 Thank Vacationlandista
Placitas, New Mexico
92 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 119 helpful votes
“Event of a lifetime”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

My wife reserved this on our anniversary. You do these wonderful cable slides ending in a tree house. Not a normal tree house this is in 100 year old cypress trees. The Room has a canopy bed, completely enclosed with a door. A walk way takes you 60 feet to a full size bathroom, with shower. They park your car right next to the bathroom. There is only one so privacy is great. Well except for the squirrels and birds. It is the most romantic thing we have done. This is a great place to take your family or escape from them

Visited April 2011
3 Thank CavemanHHH
Houston
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Thrilling and exciting!! Great experience for the family.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

I knew immediately I wanted to do this when I saw it. We drove from Austin to Spicewood and enjoyed the breathtaking views on our way. Be sure to pay attention because it's possible to miss the Paleface RR street and then pay even MORE attention when you turn because the sign is not big at all. I reserved our time slot online, but you can call or get a spot when you get there. We went on a Tues because you get 1 child free with 1 adult purchase. If you have anyone not zip lining the only waiting area is outdoors. They do have bathrooms. Eric and Key were our guides and they were fun and Eric will educate you on every tree and your surrondings. GREAT guides! Children must be 10+ but they don't ask for proof, FYI. Add this on your to do list if you are in the area. p.s. wear long shorts because the harness and straps really ride up your legs.

Visited August 2011