“Red beans and rice heaven ”
Review of The Po-Boy Shoppe

The Po-Boy Shoppe
Ranked #114 of 194 Restaurants in Temple
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Description: Come by this authentic Cajun Restaurant brought to you by a NOLA native. We serve only the best and our Po-Boys are prepared with bread straight from Gambino's in Kenner. You'll find other favorites such as Gumbo, Jambalaya, Red Beans & Rice, and an assortment of seafood baskets. The kids can also enjoy something off our kids menu. Adult beverages sold.Stop by and see us. -From our family to yours
Reviewed June 16, 2018 via mobile

I found this place by accident and had to try it cause I've loved Cajun food since our trip to Baton Rouge. Started off with the alligator bites which were amazing. Then, we ordered a catfish po-boy and a shrimp po-boy, which were legit. I added a side of their awesome red beans and rice and was in heaven. This place is great and I'll definitely be back. It was a little pricey, but the food is absolutely delicious. Just FYI, it's cash only but they have an atm in the back.

Date of visit: June 2018

Reviewed April 1, 2018 via mobile

Our family of three thoroughly enjoyed our meals today! The seafood gumbo was flavorful and full of a large variety of seafood and sausage. It reminded me of my favorite seafood restaurant when growing up.
We also had the catfish basket which was wonderful and plentiful.
We ended the meal with tasty beignets- yum!
The owner/chef came out and we enjoyed meeting her. The wait staff did an excellent job!
We will definitely be back!

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed March 15, 2018 via mobile

Overall the place is friendly and the food is ok. The gumbo is very greasy, but the flavor is not bad. My wife had the oyster po boy and it was pretty good. My shrimp po boy was ok, but I felt the oyster was better. The kids had a chicken tender basket that was about a normal basket.

I feel like the place was ok, but very pricey for what it is. I like to try new spots, but don’t think this will be a regular spot.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed March 3, 2018 via mobile

Nestled in a run-down shopping center, The Po-Boy Shoppe is a nice addition to the food choices in Temple.

Though the strip mall is not so great, the owners have done a good job making the interior fun and inviting.

The food is fresh and good. The French bread was excellent. I had the shrimp po-boy and it was very good, though I think adding remoulade sauce would improve it.

The service was excellent. We were made to feel welcome and appreciated. I will definitely go back often.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed February 20, 2018 via mobile

My sister, my kids, and I went to visit this place as a result of seeing their grand opening posting on Facebook
According to the picture and the post they were gonna have the best Cajun food on food in Central Texas. Not! Coming from a family of Louisiana natives where our father is from New Orleans and our mom is from Opelousas and loving on the gulf in Beaumont Texas all of my life, I expected the meals to taste like home. The gumbo was watery and very greasy. There were no blue crab in it considering it was a seafood gumbo and the crawfish were super small to the point where we couldnt even eat the claws. The po boy burger was disgusting. My baby loves burgers and he ate half because I told him that he had to eat something. The wait staff was very rude and unprofessional and weren't knowledgeable about their crawfish prices at all. Instead of charging by the pound, they charged $12 a plate which was a total rip off. When the crawfish was brought out the juice was leaking all over the place so bad that the box they served it in tore apart and I had to dump them in one box and give the destroyed box back to the rude waiter. One lady was nice enough to come over to see about us after sitting and waiting to order over 15 mins. She gave us gumbo on the house, but it wasn't worth it because we make good gumbo and have had the best. That colored water didn't come close to being good. The canned drinks were like $1.75 with no refills and the tea wasn't sweet at all. It tasted like watered down Lipton. The female owner had the audacity to state that because we aren't from New Orleans we don't know and appreciate the effort that into to making the food. Funny, because she wasn't the least bit aware of where we come from. Needless to say, we won't be back and I plan to make sure all of my battle buddies are aware that this business is a fraudulent representation of our culture. Les consommateurs méfiez-vous.

Date of visit: February 2018
Cynthia O, Owner at The Po-Boy Shoppe, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2018

Hi Ms. Redeaux,

We appreciate that you came out to support our small business during our grand opening event and the feedback you took the time to provide. We would like to address some of your statements and concerns. As you would probably agree coming from a family of Louisiana natives yourself, Louisiana is a very diverse place with many regional variations in culture, and this is especially true regarding the food. What we offer is merely one of these many variations, and it is as authentic as any other cajun restaurant in New Orleans. It is simply impossible for any one restaurant to please the taste pallette of everyone, and sometimes there is nothing like one's own family cooking. We take pride in the dishes we serve, as we too use recipes that have been passed down through our family for many generations. There is no fraudulence involved whatsoever.

During our grand opening event, we had some employees serve as temporary waitresses, as our head waitress was unfortunately very ill and unable to work. The event attracted more community members than our humble establishment could have ever expected or prepared for. The massive amount of traffic caused some lapses in customer service that we have acknowledged and addressed moving forward.

The crawfish were obtained very early in the season so that they could be available during Mardi Gras festivities, as we wanted to present to Temple another piece of NOLA culture. Inevitably, there were small ones, but they do not represent the norm or overall picture of what we strive to serve. We will not have crawfish at Shoppe again until we are confident that farmers can provide large ones. As you saw at the grand opening, we charged by the plate but provided more per dollar than any other local competitor, most of which did not have crawfish. The plate was approximately 1.5 lbs of crawfish, or an $8/lb equivalent. This plate practice was done in our hopes to expedite service during our grand opening event, and any future sales of crawfish will be done by the pound during the regular season at a competitive market price.

We serve 2 types of gumbo at shoppe: the chicken and sausage gumbo and the seafood gumbo. Our chicken and sausage has just that, while the seafood gumbo also contains a generous portion of shrimp and crabmeat. The photo you have provided appears to be consistent with our chicken and sausage gumbo, which would explain why the gumbo you received on the house had no crabmeat.

Our soft drinks are $1.25, as opposed to the $1.75 you stated, which is still well below the price most other establishments will charge for sodas without refills. We do not offer refills on soda because we do not use a soda fountain dispenser, which uses concentrated syrups diluted with carbonated water. We buy them and serve them in cans at a fair market price. If the can of soda was not sufficient, we could have gladly provided another.

We do not condone false advertising of our business. All of the photos we used are original and representative of our food.

Both our gumbo and hamburger poboy are two popular items due to the value and flavors they offer. The hamburger poboys include an entire pound of beef for the whole sandwich.

So many customers thoroughly enjoyed the crawfish that we served at our grand opening, and all of our other dishes here, and we appreciate all of the support we have received.

However, we do not believe your comments to be representative of our establishment. We will not grow complacent with the service and food we provide. We are excited about what's to come and look forward to further opportunities for growth.

Been to The Po-Boy Shoppe? Share your experiences!