“A Well Kept Secret”

Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Temple
Pasadena, TX
“A Well Kept Secret”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2011

I personally recommend a stay at this location if you are in need of lodging in Temple, TX. Our reservations were handled efficiently and accurately. Our request for a first floor room was honored, the room was huge, with two queen size beds as we requested, clean and ready for us at checkin time. They serve a wonderful hot breakfast! Management was very accomodating and the price was very reasonable. Every thing was great and just how you expect when you book lodging!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank freedom3Pasadena_TX

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2011

We stayed four nights over the Memorial Day Weekend. The facility is clean, well maintained, and priced right. The staff was beyond friendly and the breakfast was a step above continental. I would recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a place to stay in Temple.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Andiecat
San Antonio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2010

I'm a med student staying in this hotel for the summer for work, and I have now been in this hotel for three weeks, so I guess I should share my opinion since I pretty much know this place inside and out by now. I am staying in the King suite, which comes with a very tiny kitchenette--fridge, small extra sink, and a microwave, although I think all the rooms come with a fridge and a microwave. It's big and has a couch and table, but the regular rooms are much smaller and don't have the living area. They're not bad sized, though.

First off, the staff is for the most part helpful and easy to work with. Of the few issues I've had--ranging from a room swipe card not working, to needing change for the on-site washer and dryer--they were eager to help me out. All of the front desk staff are men, and a few of them seemed to be creepers, but it wasn't really a big deal. All the doors except the front one require the room card for entrance, so it's pretty safe, there haven't been any car break-ins that I know of, but I definitely wouldn't be stupid by leaving any valuables in the car anyway, I mean this hotel is right on I-35...

My first impression of the room was that it smelled, and it still does every time I come back to it every day. It smells like a locker room--like sweat and musky. But it's VERY clean, so I just burn some incense and that seems to have helped some, though that old-person smell still lingers. They just renovated this place a few years ago I believe--new carpet, granite in the bathrooms, and the furniture looks new too. TV's aren't flat panel, but I wasn't expecting that from BW. The two biggest annoyances I have with regard to the room are that the toilet flushes as loud as the ones on airplanes and cruise ships do. Seriously, every time I have to go, I feel like I'm going to wake up the whole floor. Yet I haven't heard any toilets flushing from other rooms, so I guess it's not an issue, but just beware when you do flush it for the first time to brace yourself, it's a tsunami. Secondly, the in-room air conditioning is not central A/C but comes from a window unit. In fact, I have a feeling that's the reason the room smells like mold. And it can be loud at times.

As for noise, it's really not a problem. In the past three weeks, I have heard NO loud conversations, sex, car alarms at 5 AM, or blaring music from guests in other rooms, so that's great, especially for people on business like me who need their sleep. I'm pleasantly surprised, actually.

There is a small pool, and every other day or so I'll see a group of people in it. It looks clean, and there is a truck with a chlorine tank that comes frequently so that must mean it's being maintained. There's also a small fitness center, but its totally lame. 1 treadmill that looks like it was made in the '70s, a bike, and that's about it. Personally, I have not gotten in the pool, nor have I tried out the "fitness center," and I doubt I will.

And, of course, this review wouldn't be complete without commenting on the breakfast.....they serve the same exact things every day, which of course for people staying here for only a day or two that's perfectly fine, but of course I've gotten tired of it all already. Anyway, breakfast choices include biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs (of course they're powdered, but I'd say they're still edible), there's a waffle iron, cereal, pastries, bagels, muffins, and fruit (apples and bananas). And that's it. The pastries are pretty good, but the biscuits and gravy are nasty.. Waffles are good, they're the best choice, I think. Haven't tried the cereal yet. There's a big plasma TV in the breakfast room (which is really just part of the lobby), and it's tuned to Fox News every morning. There is also a stack of USA Today newspapers, which is nice. Coffee downstairs is Folgers (yuck), but, actually, the coffee in the rooms is decent, which is also an important thing for me. One thing I'll mention, there's an Indian guy on the staff, and I don't know what his job is exactly, but I think it is to patrol the breakfast bar, because every morning I've been down there getting a waffle and a paper, he's there being awkward. Maybe it's just awkward that I've been here more than a few days and he's wondering what the hell I'm still doing here.

Oh, there's internet in the rooms. The ethernet hookup doesn't work in my room for some reaosn; however, wireless works, and it's pretty fast. Also, there are NO pets allowed at this hotel, anywhere. And definitely do not smoke in the rooms. If you do, they'll charge you $100. (Honestly, I think the smell of smoke in the room would be preferable to what it smells like now.) Oh, and the cleaning ladies watch spanish TV when they clean. Everyday I come back to the hotel from a day at work, the TV is on galavision.

Overall, it's not a bad hotel. Looks clean, is safe, and it was the cheapest hotel I could find that offered breakfast but wasn't a total dump. I also considered other nearby hotels, including Knights Inn, Stratford Inn, La Quinta. All are similarly priced by they are GROSS, stay away from them at all costs. For the $50-60/night price range in Temple, I think BW is definitely the way to go.

(And for those of you who may be looking for a place to stay for more than a few weeks, they do offer sweet deals. Like I said, I'm in the King suite, which is their best room, and I'm only paying $45 a night, which is $20 off the regular rate.)

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
6 Thank beagle2k9
BwTemple, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Temple Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 24 July 2010
Thank you for your great review. We are pleased that you likes our hotel. Half of my staff is spanish and they are very limited to English so please accept my apologies.
Please see or let us know while at hte hotel if you have any concerns. We are here to make your stay as pleasant as possible.

Again, Thank you for input.
Management and staff
Savannah, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2010

Very clean, Staff goes out of the way to make the stay as pleasant as possible. Besides a great breakfast. They also have homemade cookies in the evening. Just an extra treat to make you feel comfortable while away from home.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
north Dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2007

I stayed at this hotel on september 12th. SInce then I have been staying there once a week.looks like the ownership has changed and they are improving their service. The beds were very comfortable. Staff is friendly, breakfast has been revised and added several items. New look from Outside is great. I have been told that they are replacing furniture, Carpet etc.

Great palce to stay for a great price.

Stayed September 2007
Puget Sound
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2007

My family (two adults, two older teenagers) stayed in this Best Western hotel while attending a national speech and debate tournament in nearby Belton. We booked one room w/two queen beds several months ahead of the event. Upon arrival, we were informed that we had been put into room with a single King bed. The hotel staffer stated to my wife "well, that's the room that you booked". Luckily my wife had the confirmation number and information with her. The clerk did nothing to work with us to get us into the room that we had reserved, stating that there was nothing he could do since the hotel was full. He was quite rude to my wife, even telling her that he couldn't hold the reservation (in case we had to use it) past 8:00pm while we looked for another hotel.

I ended up calling the national Best Western reservation "conflict" number. They talked to the hotel clerk (same one I talked to) and we ended up getting a room after all. Hmmm. The clerk then told me that he would give us a discount for the inconvenience, giving us the room for $64/night vice the full price. Only problem is that I had already booked the room for $62/night when we first reserved it! Wow! Luckily I caught this "oversight" because he had earlier thrown away the original confirmation information with the lower price on it.

Two days later our vehicle was broken into during the night; serveral of my teenager's speech event items were stolen. Take note that there is inadequate lighting and no security cameras in back of the building. Found out later that there had been other vehicle break-ins several weeks earlier. Would have been nice to be informed so that ALL items could have been removed from the vehicle.

Breakfast was very mediocre. Donuts/rolls with little variety of fruit. Toast your own waffles in the toaster. Coffee ran out frequently.

The last straw was that one of my son's stolen speech event items was found the same day that the theft occurred by a very nice hotel clerk on her way home from work. She brought the box and cards (our name was written on the box) back to the hotel office and told the manager. He never informed us of the returned item! I found out after the tournament was over when the lady that found the item asked if I had gotten the box back. It was unbelievable that the manager didn't inform us about the returned item. It really showed us that he doesn't care about his customers.

Will never stay at a Best Western again.

• Disliked — Lack of security in parking lot, rude staff during checkin
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Scouter1506
Bryan, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2007

We stayed here twice - once in December 2006 and once in February 2007. We liked it quite a bit, and would certainly stay here again.

Our king-bed rooms were spacious and clean. Overall, a pretty standard hotel, but several ameneties and nice touches - refrigerator in the room, a small fitness room, pool, evening cookies, better-than-average (though not spectacular) breakfast. The hotel looked and felt very new, but has evidently been around since about 2000.

This is off the interstate, but Temple is not too large - it's easy to get to other areas such as the hospital. The Texas Roadhouse right next door will deliver to the hotel.

Oh, the first time we stayed there was a problem - the hot water heater went out. But, they cut the rate more than in half to compensate (and obviously we were happy enough to come back).

• Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)