“Good Food, Slow Service”
Review of Roopa's Kitchen

Roopa's Kitchen
Ranked #14 of 186 Restaurants in Temple
Reviewed April 22, 2017

First, this is the only Indian food in town.

The food was very good and fresh. The Butter Chicken and Gobi Aloo were good, but we ordered mild and the sauce was a bit bland. We're used to Chicken Tikka Masala which is more flavorful to begin with. Naan was good. I also had the special Goat Biryani. It said it was only available in Medium or Spicy, so I ordered Medium. It was very good but the owner/manager could see I was struggling with the heat, so he offered to remake it for me on his own volition. The replaced version was much better on my heartburn. This was a classy move by the owner. The white rice is basmati (the menu just says white rice), so that made me happy. We had 3 entrees with water for $40, including the slightly higher priced goat biryani. With leftovers for another meal for two. The small salad that the entrees come with is the standard petite diced cucumber, onion, etc.

Now, the bad. Showed up about 8:10p on a Friday. Closes at 9:30p. We were seated immediately, then waited at least 15 minutes for someone to take our order. Then another 10 minutes just to get our waters. Someone who showed up considerably later than us got their drinks 5 minutes before we did. Our waitress was, however, multitasking the to-go orders, cashing out, etc. Also, they were out of Palak Paneer. Who runs out of Palak Paneer?

Reviewed April 1, 2017

Since they closed the Red Onion Bistro in Killeen this is becoming our regular place for authentic Indian cuisine. We decided to order something different each time. I wish they were in the Killeen / Harker Heights area.

Reviewed March 7, 2017

This visit is my first, but it certainly won't be my last. The wonderful aromas hit you in the face when you open the door. The restaurant is casual and inviting. It was difficult to choose just one entree from the menu. I finally settled on one of the chef's specials for my entree--Ginger Chicken accompanied by a mint chutney and a side of cucumber salad. I prefer to have bread instead of rice with my protein, so I ordered some garlic naan. For a beverage, i chose the spiced Indian tea (chai). Chai is one of my favorite teas, and this spiced tea is delicious. It was only slightly sweet which is the way I prefer my chai. The Ginger Chicken is wonderfully spiced and perfectly cooked while cucumber salad is refreshing. The salad is the perfect side for the spicy meat. The naan is hot and fresh. I also got a piece of the mango cheesecake to go. It is wonderful as well. I didn't give the restaurant 5 stars because service is a little slow at times, but the food is well worth the wait. This place is family owned and operated.

Reviewed February 24, 2017 via mobile

Loved the food! I ordered spicy veg dish and it was excellent. My husband had the special. It was great! Since the Red Onion Bistro in Killeen closed done...this is my new favorite. Across the street is Om's Spice & Sweets shop...bought my spices from them! They had a little take out....

Reviewed February 18, 2017

When we walked in we loved the feeling of the small restaurant although there was no background music playing so it was very hard to have a conversation without the couple sitting next to us hearing it all like we could hear theirs. About half way through our meal music was turned on and it was much nicer. The butter chicken curry was recommended and was VERY good we also ordered chicken kurma which was okay. 2 curries and an appetizer cost about $35 and we had plenty left over.

Been to Roopa's Kitchen? Share your experiences!