“Used to be good, but change of management has ruined the Reputation.”

Shogun Japanese Grill & Sushi Bar
Ranked #114 of 249 Restaurants in The Woodlands
Price range: US$10 - US$36
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Description: Shogun's healthy choice: NO MSG, NO Preservatives, NO Food Additives, Zero Trans Fat. USDA organic coconut oil, olive oil, and sunflower oil are available as alternative cooking oils upon request. Gluten Free Menu is available.
Reviewed September 12, 2017

I went for a nice evening dinner with my loved one, recommended it to them due to the multiple times i have come to this exact location over the last 10+ years. I order the same exact dish every single time because it is safe for me to eat. I have a severe life threatening seafood allergy that must be taken very seriously. I chose the chicken terriyaki dish because it DOESN'T come with seafood, hence "CHICKEN terriyaki". As we received our orders, i looked down and noticed shrimp on my plate. I kindly told waitress that i am allergic to seafood and would like a new order, as i cannot consume that one and had strictly mentioned to the waitress before we ordered that i have a seafood allergy. She left, and went to get the manager, when the manager came over, she brought a menu with her and rudely pointed her finger at the dish i ordered and exclaimed sharply "THIS DISH ALWAYS COMES WITH SHRIMP, NO EXCEPTIONS!" Since i have been coming here for over 10 years, i got to know the management quite well, and knew that she was knew. When i asked her if there was higher management by name there, she told us that she was apart of new management that had taken over. Obviously, we did not consume our meals, nor did we pay for my meal that i did not get to eat. We left, and in complete shock of the disrespect this new management seems to have for their customers. Being in the restaurant business, it should be a high priority to consider customers allergies and sensitivities.

Long story short, we will never be returning to that location again. An end to a 10 year tradition. All because of management that truly doesn't seem to care about their business.

Date of visit: April 2017

Reviewed May 20, 2017

I come here with my family from time to time for a good, filling Japanese meal. Sometimes we go to a Hibachi table, sometimes we eat more from the menu. The sushi and the noodle dishes are tasty, and portions are generous. The staff are all very friendly. Parking is easy.

Date of visit: March 2017
Reviewed April 18, 2017

My girlfriend is allergic to shellfish so she's very careful of what she orders. Most of the time she orders chicken-based dish. This time is no exception. She ordered chicken teriyaki. Imagine the surprise when they brought it out with one piece of shrimp on it. When we talked to the manager (or owner) she was not friendly at all. She told us they always put a shrimp on it and that it says on the menu. I looked at the menu and the item simply says "Chicken Teriyaki"...and a small fine print on the top of the teriyaki dishes that it comes with a shrimp. If they're going to put a shrimp on it the menu item should state "Chicken and a shrimp Teriyaki" instead. I've worked in a four-star Japanese restaurant in Las Vegas, I travel 250+ nights a year so I eat out virtually every day. This is a first time I found a chicken dish with an obligatory one piece of shrimp on top of the dish. And the woman was not friendly at all. She obviously doesn't understand that as a food server they need to be very careful about people with food allergies. And instead of being supportive, she was belligerent about how the menu "clearly" stated about the one piece of shrimp.
The food was okay (I'm not being snobby, I'm Japanese and I know Japanese food. It's same as Italian people knowing good Italian food). Needless to say because of the "service" or lack of, I'm not going back there again.

Date of visit: March 2017
Reviewed September 12, 2016 via mobile

My go to sushi bar. A true gem in the rough. Teppan bar is off the hook good. To bad they go through a lot of servers there. That is hit or miss. But still a good solid place to go.

Date of visit: September 2016
Reviewed September 1, 2016 via mobile

My friends and I eat there weekly..
Quality of food is always good....You can watch them cook for you which is fun for family and groups but
We prefer dinning at a table...
❤️