“"The Diner" catering was fantastic”
Review of The Diner

The Diner
Ranked #26 of 433 Restaurants in Tyler
Cuisines: American
Reviewed May 27, 2018

Standard Disclaimer: I am an older, overweight male from Wisconsin. Like most guys, I tend to gravitate toward meat and potatoes, and lots of them. If given the choice between quantity and quality of food, I'm taking quantity every time. If you happen to be a Vegan, vegetarian, or an "anti-glutite", feel free to stop reading this review now. Nothing personal, but I don't write for your dietary preferences. I like eating what you all don't like. I never mention my penchant for submitting reviews to Trip Advisor, as I want to be treated like any other patron. I do not solicit anything of value in return for a review, much less a positive one. My opinion is mine and mine alone, and does not necessarily reflect that of Trip Advisor or its subsidiaries.

My wife and I traveled to Dallas, Texas on May 23, 2018 and then with her sister and husband, we all drove to Tyler, Texas on May 25. We were in town to attend the graduation of 2 nephews from Chapel Hill High School. The family's home is located in "The Woods" off Old Omen Road. My niece and her husband decided that rather than stock up on groceries or take everyone out to feed everyone, they were going to have the food catered in, and their choice to do the catering was "The Diner". There were 14 guests staying in my niece's home and lunch and dinner was catered on May 25 and 26.

For our dining pleasure just prior to the graduation ceremony was chicken tacos. A driver from "The Diner" brought over a large aluminum foil container of sliced chicken breast with cooked onions and peppers, a large container of Mexican rice, and a couple containers of salad. While the humidity led to some of the taco shells sticking together, the chicken breast mix was really good and the chicken was great. The rice was very good as well. The next day, lunch consisted of an interesting take on the "B-L-T", with Jalapeno rolls sliced diagonally, and what looked like an avocado based aioli on the roll and some grilled chicken breast, white cheese, and bacon. The Jalapeno in the bread gave this sandwich some serious bite. Later that day, dinner consisted of rice that seemed to have been buttered and baked, along with sauteed tilapia, and salad. While I like "meat", I also like fish, and I am not really a fan of tilapia. The tilapia looked like it had been rolled in spices and blackened. The preparation was great, and the food was hot on arrival.

The food was plentiful, tasty, hot, and good. The delivery people did set up and were very friendly. I can hardly wait to get back to Tyler, as I know where I am going out to eat !!!

Reviewed April 15, 2018 via mobile

We've had the opportunity to eat at The Diner several times and always enjoyed our experience. Good food, hearty portions, friendly service, and nice atmosphere make for a solid breakfast/brunch option in Tyler. The sausage biscuits with gravy, crabcakes benedict, multi-grain pancakes, chicken & waffles, and omelettes are all great choices. Lots of dining options in the area; this one is definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed April 13, 2018

This restaurant had really great reviews so we went out of our way to go to it. The food was good but not anything special. The biggest deterrent was that the floors were sticky, in the dining room and in the bathrooms. When we left I asked the manager why the floors were so sticky and his answer was "maple syrup". He said they Swiffer the floors every day but they just can't get the stickiness out. Maybe they should try steam cleaning or a string mop. I've been to a lot of breakfast places and have never had a problem with the floors being sticky. His attitude and response just really turned me off. I would not go back here again.

GeeTee2017, Owner at The Diner, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2018

Nicki,
I apologize about your experience at The Diner. We do use Swiffers on our floors at the end of each day and at the beginning of every day our floors are not sticky. As the day progresses and we serve people, spills occur and the floors can get a little sticky. I apologize if you felt my response was not appropriate. I gave you the honest answer your question deserved. I would like to say your group of four were all great customers and we appreciated you dining with us. We hope to see you again.

Thanks,
Lloyd Nichols
903.312.6598

Reviewed March 28, 2018

Have only eaten breakfast here, but enjoy the restaurant, especially the french toast. I have had consistently good service, with good food, and fair prices.

GeeTee2017, Owner at The Diner, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2018

Don,
Thank you for being a Diner. We love to serve breakfast to folks who appreciate simplicity and everyday value.

Semper Fi,
Lloyd Nichols

Reviewed March 25, 2018 via mobile

The Diner is a five star restaurant. My family and I were there on a Sunday morning about 10 o’clock. There were many people waiting to be seated. In my party we had for adults and six children. Mr. T Lloyd Nichols runs an extremely efficient operation. Our large party was seated within 15 minutes. The service was excellent. I had the pecan Texas waffle with crisp bacon and coffee. The waffle was I believe the best I have ever had. The bacon was thick sliced cooked perfectly and was delicious. I will not tell you everything we ate. I will say this several of us ordered second servings. We all left full and extremely happy. We discussed what a wonderful and delicious breakfast we had for quite a while.

GeeTee2017, Owner at The Diner, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2018

Jack,
Thanks so much for your business and this outstanding review. We appreciate our Diners and their loyalty. We don't always get it as good as this but if we don't we are always ready to fix the challenge.
We look forward to seeing y'all again.

Lloyd
903.312.6598

Been to The Diner? Share your experiences!