“Admit it, you'd love to spend the night in a teepee :)”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wharton
Tee Pee Motel & RV Park
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Wharton
Shreveport, Louisiana
“Admit it, you'd love to spend the night in a teepee :)”
Reviewed 6 September 2009

Our family had a great time at the very vintage Tee Pee Motel. It's located in Wharton, which is approximately halfway between our home in Shreveport, Louisiana and the lovely beaches of our destination target of South Padre Island, Texas.

We loved our little teepee and found the whole experience relaxing and enjoyable (not to mention affordable). For one thing, we were able to secure a teepee where our small dog could stay with us. It was a blazing hot summer day in July, but the a/c window unit kept our adobe teepee nice and frosty. The property made a lovely backdrop for family photos, and downtown Wharton was fun to kick around in for a couple hours. Back at our teepee for the evening, Pizza Hut delivers there so dinner was so easy.

I'm not sure who enjoyed staying here more...me, my husband, or our six year old son. The quaint furnishings, the quirky grounds and the funky, nostalgic appeal of this well cared for property set everyone's imagination on fire. We'll be back next month for a repeat experience!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank Nora1999

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Texas
Reviewed 10 May 2009

Although we only spent one night in Wharton at the Tee Pee Motel, I would definitely stay there again! As other reviewers have noted, the individual, tee-pee shaped rooms are small but clean with modern conveniences. We were there in January, and the room was nice and "toasty" that night.

• Stayed January 2007
Austin, TX
Reviewed 25 August 2008

My friend and I got two teepees and had a wonderful stay. We shopped during the day and drank champagne on a picnic table under the stars that night. The rooms are small, but certainly big enough. Clean, comfortable, friendly staff. It was just a fun thing to do!

• Liked — The teepees themselves!
  • Disliked — Aboslutely nothing to complain about.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank Autumnheart
US
Reviewed 18 February 2008

i spent one night in the refurbished Tee Pee Motel. Originally built in the 1940s the teepees were refurbbed a few years ago. Nothing special about the location - just a chance to stay in a concrete tee pee. Bed was comfortable and my teepee was outfitted with the usual tv, coffee maker, frig. The staff were very friendly and clearly enjoy working there.

• Liked — Concrete tee pee!!
  • Disliked — Nothing to recommend area other than sleeping in a concrete teepee.
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled solo
Houston
Reviewed 27 January 2008

This was a great little get a way with just a few issues. First and formost the beds were so uncomfortable. I rolled to the middle all night long. Second was room temp. It was either hotter then the blazes or I had to turn the heater off and it was very cold. no middle ground. It was a one night deal anything more would have been unbearable.

• Liked — the Tee Pee theme
  • Disliked — the bed
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tbus
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 24 November 2007

This was awesome. Wanted to stay here as a child but never was allowed. It then spend many years abandoned. Some lottery winners decided to buy it and fix it up and I am so thankful. I loved it. The whole experience was just thrilling. We built a campfire and roasted marshmallows. Everyone was friendly including the other guests. There is no pool, so modern-day travelers should be advised, but there is plenty to do in Wharton if you just want to get away from it all. There are nice
antique stores, the county courthouse in town square, etc.

Be warned....the beds are short. I am only 5'5" and my feet were
almost to the end. They are too soft for my liking but could live with it for one night.

I will definitely be back.

• Liked — The atmosphere. Very friendly and down to earth.
  • Disliked — The bed was too soft.
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank modboxmom
Parsippany, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 October 2007

I decided to throw caution to the wind and book a night at the Tee Pee Motel and the other nights at the chain motel in town during my last stay in Wharton. I'm a business traveler and internet access is mandatory but I figured I could live without it one night.

It turns out that when making their list of amenities they left high speed internet off the list. When I checked in they asked if I needed a data cable which was provided free.

The room was surprisingly spacious, especially since it contained a double bed, half-size refrigerator, microwave, sofa, a desk and chair and there was also a coffee maker in the bathroom. The Texas-sized air conditioner is perfect for the summer heat and the rooms are still clean since they were renovated only a year ago. There are picnic tables outside the rooms and a few hibachi sized grills scattered about.

The next morning I cancelled my other hotel reservation and booked my tee pee for the rest of the week.

One curious note, although there was a clothes rack there were no hangers so I had to hit the local discount store to pick some up.

• Stayed September 2007
3 Thank purple_gorillaz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wharton
3.2 km away
25.3 km away
Days Inn El Campo, TX
Days Inn El Campo, TX
#2 of 4 in El Campo

Been to Tee Pee Motel & RV Park? Share your experiences!