“Funky, friendly place”
Review of Rancher Motel Cafe

Rancher Motel Cafe
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Delta
Rancher Motel Cafe
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Delta
n/a
“Funky, friendly place”
Reviewed 23 August 2011

The Rancher is a cafe/diner with motel rooms in the back. When you call, you get the cash register station in the cafe. Room reservations are kept on the wall behind the counter. So, the first and most important rules are: when making a reservation, get the name of the person with whom you spoke, then call back in a few days to confirm, then call the day of your reservation. They are good people, but you could get a waitress who is between ringing up a customer and getting an order from the kitchen, so your reservation may get taken in the midst of other more current activities.

The place has been around a while, so you can see evidence of wear. My room was adequate, which is all I generally want. Not fancy, but clean with what's important - bed, sink, bath, toilet, towels, air conditioner (although it did have to work awfully hard in the heat). Its a place used by peple who are "on the road." Shower was great - good pressure and lots of hot water. I ate dinner and breakfast right there - the food was good, the people friendly. Although a Friday night, it was not noisy, and I slept well.

Here is what I wrote in my trip journal of my stay:
The Rancher Café and Motel is a funky place. I check in, shower, then go to eat. It was a Friday night with lots of people coming and going. The vinyl in the booths is cracked and torn in places – little evidence of attempts to fix. But the people do not seem to mind. They come any way - for the food, and hospitality and to see other folks there that they know. Reminded me a bit of the diner in the movie American Graffiti. One young man came in with his 3 year old nephew. Talked briefly to a friend about “putting in his papers” (enlisting). “Seems the right thing and time to do it.” His parents arrive later and sit with him; talked of buying a motorcycle before he signs up and leaves. They seem sad but resigned that this is what their son will do. Other folks talk about basketball games and golf tournaments. A down-home place. I meet and speak with the owner, Laura, for a while.

Up at 7 and have good breakfast in the Café. Turns out the waitress is Laura’s mother; I talk with her a bit. There is a photograph of a gentleman on the wall behind the cash register counter. I meant to ask if that was her husband, and if she and he had started the place. But I had miles to go that day; another missed conversation.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo