“Bad Smell, Burned Beans, and Spoiled Food”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Javier's Restaurant
Ranked #139 of 196 Restaurants in Layton
Reviewed March 30, 2017

Had a lunch date with my elderly mother. The beans were burned and after 2 bites, inedible. They turned my stomach. The carnitas tacos (pulled pork) was spoiled. My mother had an upset stomach for the rest of the day. The rice was bland. Salsa was ok, but not something to return for. The restaurant had an odd odor, which I now think came from the spoiled pork meat. I had a carne asada taco and cheese enchiladas. Those were pretty good. The service was ok for the most part, but when I shared these concerns with our server, he only told us that he'd tell the cook. He didn't offer to replace the food with an edible option or to not charge us for the spoiled and burned food.
I was really hoping for a good experience here, but this experience will prevent me from ever returning.

Reviewed January 16, 2017

This restaurant is rarely crowded and may not look as trendy as some Mexican eateries, but in my experience, the food has never disappointed. It is tasty and the service has been good. I can usually find a coupon that saves $7 on food for two or more persons. One downside is that during the winter you may want to sit away from the door, where it can get chilly when the other customers leave or enter.

Reviewed July 15, 2016 via mobile

Not sure why they get such bad reviews on here as we've been going for over 15 years and have never had a bad meal. Their salsa isn't my favorite but it's good. It really helps flavor their rice which I do find to be bland. I'm not a fan of refried beans but I will eat their beans. I usually order the shredded beef taco and cheese enchiladas. I think both are tasty. I do think they are slightly overpriced.

Reviewed May 30, 2016

I was surprised how good the Mexican cuisine was after walking into the restaurant. A safe choice with really good food and friendly service.

Reviewed January 2, 2016

First the smell once entering should have been the clue to leave right away. I don't know if it was the carpet on the floor or coming from the kitchen. The menu is extensive so there was a good selection. My wife had the fajitas, usually a safe bet for Mexican, but, as has been the case everywhere we've eaten in Utah, they didn't ask how she would like the steak cooked (I suspect because it already has been). The steak was very dry and lacked flavor, I tried a piece and thought it tasted a little like liver (which I do NOT like at all). She also said that it was overly spiced. I had the Enchiladas Mexicana, which included beef, chicken, and cheese with chile verde. My meal was tasty enough but nothing special. We won't dine here again.