All reviews ben lomond historic hotel sitting room front desk separate bedroom sleeping area jetted tub within walking distance flat screen rooms are spacious main floor cookie cutter powder mountain salt lake bagels downtown ogden union station
Reviewed August 22, 2018

Have stayed in this hotel a number of times travelling between Texas and Oregon. Up to this stay it was the Ben Lomond. On arrival the front desk was brusque, upon leaving - rude.
We have been used to a quite good breakfast on the main floor (as part of our room price) and travelling the distances we do, need to eat early. The Bigelow has changed the breakfast start time to 7:30 - too late for us.
Additionally, there was a family friendly Irish Pub/Restaurant on the main floor. It is now a restaurant that does not allow under 21ers. We were travelling with our 19 yr old daughter - so went elsewhere.
Lastly, after a lonf driving day and dinner, we were ready to relax and watch the news. Our TV lost the signal, we called the front desk and waited approx 15 minutes for the maint. person - no one showed up. So we called and cancelled and went to bed.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Michael A
Cross S, Director of Sales at Bigelow Hotel and Residences, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the hotel. I apologize for for the incidences that occurred during your stay. I have forwarded your review onto all of the various departments that impacted your stay negatively.

Breakfast hours for weekends run at 7:30 am on Saturdays and Sundays, On weekdays, we start breakfast at 6:30 am Monday-Friday.

I apologize for not being able to allow your daughter into Archie's Bar & Grill. We could have served your family in the Nook, again I am sorry that your family was not told.

In the future, we would ask that you try the hotel again to experience a stellar stay.

Safe Traveling,
Susan Cross
Director of Sales
Bigelow Hotel & Residences
Ogden, Utah
801-627-1900
scross@hotelpros.biz

Reviewed August 9, 2018

A business travelers dream. Huge rooms, very clean, good a/c, very comfortable bed, terrific staff. Not a hotel in the style of the late 1920's, but the real deal, built in 1929. Lion statues guarding the side entrance, marble alcove off the lobby next to the brass mailbox, classic art deco brass bell on the front desk; keep expecting the bell hop to come running and always surprised when I don't see William Powell and Myrna Loy in the lobby. The downtown area is funky/shabby the way Austin was 40 years ago, but safe enough to walk around through early evening. A couple of miles south on Riverdale is where all the new/usual shops and restaurants are. The bar in the hotel has a limited menu but top notch food and drink. The other reviewers talk about some issues with a 90 year old hotel like this, and they have a point; all I can say is if you prefer a new Doubletree by all means go there, not that Ogden has anything like that.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to respond on your recent stay at the Bigelow Hotel & Residences. We appreciate all of your comments and thank you for choosing to stay with us.

You are correct, we are not a guest's standard hotel, but exude Ogden's History. Yes, our rooms are large and very comfortable and the hotel is conveniently located within walking of downtown Ogden.

In the future, we would appreciate your choosing to stay with us again for another amazing stay.

Safe Traveling,
Susan Cross
Director of Sales
Bigelow Hotel & Residences
Ogden, Utah
801-627-1900
scross@hotelpros.biz

Reviewed July 26, 2018

Not only did Kerryanne help me with my reservation she got me a better price then took it upon herself to ask the manager to set up a Spartan Mud Race special. Yep, I was going to do this race with my nephew and when she saw others from the Spartan starting to make reservations she hooked us all up with a better rate. She took the initiative where most just do there job. Thanks Kerryanne, you are an asset to your company and to the guests as well.

Room Tip: Ask for Kerryanne
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business
JustinUT, General Manager at Bigelow Hotel and Residences, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2018

Dear D1539DJjeff,

Thank you very much for your feedback about the reservation process at the Bigelow Hotel and Residences. I will pass on your compliments to Kerryanne! We hope you choose to run the Spartan race next year and spend your downtime at the Bigelow Hotel.

Kind regards,

Reviewed July 26, 2018

The reviews on this place are confusing to me. Sure it is an old classic hotel, but this place s very musty and dirty smelling. If you have a hotel that is old like this, there has to be up keep on the carpeting, flooring, bedding curtains etc.. It just smelled really bad and had a very depressing feel to the room. Secondly, the A/C didn't work and the room was at 80 degrees, yet the temp on the panel was set to 72 degrees.

Based on my experience, I can not recommend this place to anyone who has business class or relevant expectations. The price clearly did not match the quality, even in an area where good hotel rooms are hard to come by.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank TCAF95

Dear TCAF95,

Thank you for providing feedback about your stay. I am very sorry about your experience. While we have upgraded most of the hotel, we still have a couple floors that will be upgraded this fall. We are also in the process of doing a complete upgrade on our HVAC system. We hope you choose to stay with us again once we have completed our upgrades to our historic grand hotel.

Kind regards,

Reviewed July 7, 2018

Ogden in the summer is a warm place. If you require good air conditioning, you may need to look elsewhere. This is my second stay at Bigelow in the summer. Granted, this is an older hotel. However, since the Windows do not open due to safety, air conditioning is a must have.
Planned to stay for a week at th Bigelow. They now have a very nice complementary breakfast. The staff at the front desk are pleasant and helpful. On my first night, the air clearly was not working. I talked to th front desk and they got me a fan. The room temperature still stayed around 80 by the morning (keep in mind that, outdoors, the air temp goes down at night). I complained again...they had maintenance come up and reset my air conditioner...slightly better but by morning, again hot and stuffy. I complained a third time....they moved to another room. Now, the front desk staff was very kind and obviously trying to be helpful. I ran into one of the hotel executives, who admitted that, while they had installed a new cooler, they were awaiting a part for the air conditioning ...she could not say when the part would arrive. Meanwhile, both elevators were placed out of commission...no signs anywhere, just not operable...while they were Bing cleaned. Came back on the third night and the entire place, including the lobby, was warm...the desk clerk said the air conditioner was turned off.
Now to their credit, they refunded the remainder of my stay. What is disappointing is that there was no communication with guests about the broken air conditioner or the out of commission elevators. Signs, apologies, offers to help find alternative lodging?
It is a shame because it is a beautiful place. But, at the price, I do expect some candor when there are problems. It is also a shame, because the line staff try very hard, and hav obviously been told to downplay the AC issues. And could someone wash the Windows? There are beautiful views, obscured by grime...
Won't try this hotel again.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank beegirl2016
JustinUT, General Manager at Bigelow Hotel and Residences, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2018

Dear beegirl2016,

Thank you for providing feedback about your stay with us. I deeply apologize for the air conditioning issues you had during your stay. We installed a brand new cooling tower, but unfortunately part of the new unit was defective. While we did provide refunds to guests, we do wish that everyone could have enjoyed our beautiful historic hotel. I hope you are willing to give us a second chance now that our new cooling tower is up and running, if you do have interest in staying again please reach out to me at 801-627-1900.