“Mountain luxury”

Waldorf Astoria Park City
Ranked #8 of 60 Hotels in Park City
Reviewed 19 March 2012

The Waldorf Park City has achieved the perfect balance of a rustic mountain lodge and a luxurious 5-star resort. We stayed three nights in a one-bedroom suite in January and couldn't have been happier. The service was professional yet personal, and the sincerity and enthusiasm of the employees was apparent throughout our stay. The staff brought up crackers and extra tea for me upon request when I was sick, and the valet service remembered us each time we returned. The in-suite kitchen equipped with Viking appliances and granite counter tops provided us with the perfect excuse to spend more than one night in, although the heated outdoor pool and hot tubs didn't hurt either. I will definitely be recommending the Waldorf!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,508)

Reviewed 19 March 2012

Overall, the property is very well decorated, and the location is pretty good for skiing the Canyons and the other Park City resorts. I hate resort fees, but the fact that it included valet parking made it reasonable in my opinion. The breakfast at Slopes was also amazing each morning and the prices were very reasonable. French toast was $15 and pancakes were $13. The spa was super nice as well. These were by far the highlights of the hotel.

That said, the standard size rooms are ridiculously small and there isn't even a desk area. It is a bed, a chair, and a tiny bathroom. I would expect this in Europe or NYC, but definitely not at a ski resort where there is ample space to build. I have stayed in standard rooms at the St. Regis Aspen & Deer Valley, as well as the Four Seasons Whistler and Jackson Hole and this place was tiny in comparison. The ski butler service is OK, but anyone who has been to a Four Seasons or St. Regis property will be sorely disappointed. The boot room looked like a high school locker room and it was always way too crowded with not enough workers. There also isn't a ski shop on site, which makes renting skis a hassle. You can pay to have them fit you at the hotel, but they will only bring down a limited selection and this service should be free given the high cost of the hotel. Plus this service is tied in with Canyon Mountain Sports which has a horrible selection as it is unless you are choosing their standard package. Aloha Rentals has a much better selection and they are open until 8pm and they are cheaper.

The outdoor pool and hot tub area was very nice, but there is no minimum age on the hot tubs, so they were completely full from 3:30pm until 7pm with numerous children jumping back and forth between the pool and the hot tubs. They really should have one of the hot tubs marked as adults only.

I would come back to this hotel if it was cheaper, but at similar prices to the Montage and St. Regis, and more expensive than the Hyatt there is absolutely no reason to stay here. The other properties are far superior in almost every way and they are actually on the mountain.

That's all of my review part, so if you don't want to read my story part please stop here. This is what really turned me off about this place. I don't mind lapses in service, but I don't appreciate being treated like a fool and openly lied to.

As a HHonors gold member I booked 6 nights here at the beginning of March on points. I knew with Spring Break that the hotel might be busy so an upgrade might be difficult. Indeed the hotel was almost full for the first two nights of my stay so I booked an extra room because my inlaws were with me the first two nights and I wanted the extra space. After they left, I saw that there were numerous King Deluxe rooms and higher category rooms for the rest of my nights so I asked the following morning if it would be possible to upgrade for the rest of my stay. King Deluxe rooms and standard rooms require the same number of points by the way and this was a rewards booking. Surprisingly I was told they were fully committed even though I could book up to 4 King Deluxe rooms and one-bedroom suites for that night online. I then asked again the next morning because there was still a lot of availability online for upgraded room types. Initially I was told that there was an upgraded room available but that unfortunately it only had one king bed so it wouldn't be suitable for 4 adults. I said great, that there was only 2 adults now so that the king deluxe should work out just perfectly. I was put on hold and then said there was a "mistake" and it was actually the same room type I was in, it was just one floor higher. Yeah, sure there was a mistake. It was insulting to be lied to like this and it left a poor taste in my mouth. Just tell me that you don't upgrade golds and I would have been fine, but don't lie to me.

I had a similar instance when I called for the car service to pick us up for dinner one evening. After waiting 10 minutes I checked back and I was told that they already came by and we weren't there, but that he would send someone else right away. The funny thing is that I called them right as I was leaving so obviously no one had come by. I wasn't even mad and it was clear it was just an honest mistake so I didn't understand why he didn't just apologize and say he'd send someone instead of pretending like it was my fault.

Room Tip: Do not stay in a normal room here unless you are by yourself. They are ridiculously small and you w...
7  Thank spgplat2
klh0320, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Park City, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2012

Thank you for taking the time to critique our property. We appreciate your honest feedback. The property is slated to install desks in all of our standard guest residences. This is a point well taken. Please accept our apologies on the misunderstanding on the room upgrades. It is never our intent to mislead. I will personally follow up with our front office team on this issue. All the best...

Reviewed 14 March 2012

Stayed here 5 nights in mid Feb.

Very good luxury hotel. Our one-bed suite was huge (about 1200 sq ft) - comfortable, well designed furniture, overstuffed leather sofa, big six-person dining table, well-equipped full kitchen with Sub Zero appliances. Refreshingly, the photos on the hotel's own website are very accurate representations of the room you actually get. Our view was over the pool area towards the Wasatch mountains.

The Personal Concierge service (if you're staying in a suite) is a great touch. Our concierge, Carolyn, was exceptional. You barely even notice the check-in process - we were whisked through reception, luggage efficiently taken care of, and minimal check-paperwork was done in the suite. Carolyn even drove us to Whole Foods on arrival, so we could stock up with snacks and groceries for the kitchen. Also ably took care of things like restaurant reservations.

The hotel is right on the doorstep of Canyons ski area (a private gondola takes you to the base). Deer Valley is about a 10-20 min shuttle ride depending on traffic and whether the shuttle has to make a stop at PCMR. Shuttle service is efficient and frequent - they have 2 10-seater Mercedes vans. We prefer not to rent cars on ski vacations, and it's nice when hotels realize that good shuttle service is important (unlike, say, Nita Lake in Whistler, which is woeful).

The on-site restaurant is worth a visit at least once during your stay - it is now managed by Talisker. The room is intimate, and manages to be both understated and opulent - velvet walls are a nice detail. Food was very good. The bar is also a nice space, but lacks a bit of atmosphere - I think because no-one was really using it for après while we were there, so it was just a bit lifeless. Their cocktails suffer from the ridiculous Utah laws on serving size, and there's nothing the hotel can do about that.

Only minor gripe would be the ski valet and boot room. The space is just way too small for the number of people using it, especially around 9am and 3-4pm. Gets a bit chaotic. Could do with being moved to a larger space on the same floor. Ski storage is in a yurt next to their gondola - they drive you over there in a golf cart once you've booted up.

Overall, an enjoyable stay. We'd definitely think about staying here again next time we ski in Utah (though St Regis now provides very strong competition in Deer Valley itself).

Recommend.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank seattletraveller2007
klh0320, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Park City, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2012

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We especially appreciate hearing that Carolyn exceeded your expectations. Indeed, our personal concierge program has been a big success. We are grateful for your feedback on our ski valet operation. Feedback such as yours helps us improve the Waldorf Astoria experience for all. Thank you for sharing.

Reviewed 10 March 2012

I love every aspect of the Waldorf Astoria! The service, the luxurious rooms and fantastic food at the restaurant. Everything about this hotel is 5-star! I would highly recommend spending the extra money to stay here. You won't regret it!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank HI_96761
klh0320, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Park City, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2012

Hello AZGUY99,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are grateful. It's fantastic to hear you had a great visit. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Park City. All the best!

Reviewed 8 March 2012

We recently stayed at the Waldorf Astoria and it was everything they adverstised. The service is absolutely amazing and the location is perfect.

We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite. The room was huge - even a tv in each of the three bathrooms! I was concerned about taking the dedicated gondola to the slopes, it was never a problem for us. It was right out the front door of the hotel and it was a 3 minute ride to the slopes. They helped you with your skis on and off the gondola. We went back and forth throughout the day very easily. The hotel keeps your boots and snowboard (or skis) - they get them out for you when you are ready and put them away. They rent skis on the property and you can buy your ski passes in the lobby.

They arranged a taxi to and from the airport for us - whatever you needed they would take care of it for you. They told us we would not need a car because they have a shuttel service that would take you where ever you wanted to go. It worked out perfectly for us. We used it to go to Main Street for dinner and to the amazing restaurant The Farm at night. We walked to the 7eleven that was close by (they would have taken you there if you wanted them to).

The Slopes restaurant on property was outstanding! You could eat all of your meals there and be impressed.

The hot tubs were great - it was hard to get in the 93 degree pool after the hot tub but we did it anyway. The hotel was not crowded when we were there - 50% capacity. The gym was great - I used it everyday. The spa looked very nice although none of us used it.

I debated on staying in the Hyatt or the Waldorf - I am so happy I chose the Waldorf. The room, the service, the shuttle service was perfect. It is not an inexpensive hotel - but it is worth it. There is nothing bad to say about this hotel. The beds are extremely comfortable. I do need to say once again that the service was absolutely outstanding!!! They strive to make you happy.

I would love to come back in the spring or summer.

3  Thank fasiVirginia
Reviewed 7 March 2012

We just completed a 5 night stay at the Waldorf and had a wonderful experience. We stayed in a 3 bedroom bi level suite which made for a very comfortable stay for the 5 of us.

All staff were very friendly and welcoming. The free smores and hot chocolate each evening was a very nice touch. We used the complimentary shuttle into Main street almost daily, it's a great service.

The outdoor pool and hot tubs were great. There are 2 hot tubs, each at a different temperature (one very hot and one more normal for a hot tub - great options).

The restaurant on site has great food, we didn't try it until the last night and were sad that we waited so long as we would have ate there more often.

If you're debating between a base room and a 1 bedroom suite - make the upgrade! The suite is much larger and has a very nice kitchen.

One caution - the property is located at the Canyons resort which is geared more towards intermediate and advanced skiiers (not many green runs). However they do offer a free shuttle to Deer Valley which has much more friendly runs for beginners.

Room Tip: If you're debating between a base room and a 1 bedroom suite - make the upgrade! The suite is m...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank thezoo341
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Beautiful property just steps away from your own private gondola to the lift of the Canyons. Spa and pool/Jacuzzi were fantastic. Hotel service needs some attention.