“Not a real donation”
Review of Kimball Art Center

Kimball Art Center
Ranked #22 of 52 things to do in Park City
More attraction details
Owner description: The Kimball Art Center inspires and connects through art. KAC exists to provide arts education and access to everyone. Through our exhibitions, educational arts programs and events, KAC provides a platform and a place for artists and arts enthusiasts to come together to explore, celebrate and cherish the creative spark that lives within us all. Come visit our free, world-class art gallery and take a class with us.
Reviewed August 5, 2018 via mobile

A mandatory donation IS NOT A DONATION. It is a fee - not according to me but to the IRS and most states. It is deceptive to have your staff call something a donation or gift and deny access.

I have no problem w ticketed events for charities but don’t be deceptive about it.

Also your artists were so-so and everything was overpriced. We paid $8 for two 20oz drinks - your staff set their food truck style van up in front of one of the only stores selling stand alone beverages that was more than half the cost. I wonder how many sales that store lost on drinks due to that calculated maneuver.

Amy R, Senior Director of Communications at Kimball Art Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2018

The event is a fundraiser and money raised from ticket sales helps the Kimball Art Center, a nonprofit organization, provide art access and education in public schools. We rely on hundreds of volunteers to help us with this event, so we do apologize if the one you spoke to is not an IRS accountant with an in-depth understanding of tax law. When money goes to a charity organization, people often use the word “donation” in conversation. There is no intent at deception. You could always get in free next year by signing up to be a volunteer! Additionally, all of our artists are selected by an independent jury and set their own pricing. All food trucks/vendors are private companies and not operated by the Kimball Art Center. You seem to have many suggestions for improving the Festival. We’d love to have you apply to be a juror, volunteer to help organize the event, or even help as a temporary employee who works the gates and ensures no one accidently uses the word ‘donation.’

Reviewed June 3, 2018

Not only does the Center have exhibits but also provides other options to learn to paint, activities for children and is now a stimulus for an art district including a permanent home for the Cente.

Reviewed January 3, 2018

This gem of a center houses rotating exhibits from world renown artists and provides an incredible array of classes for anyone to partake in! If you don't see something that works in your schedule, you can call and they will arrange a class for you! or your kids! or a birthday party! or a book club! super beautiful space in an old church building. You can rent the venue for special events... The KAC is the host of the summer arts festival that takes place every august as well... really amazing organization for the community and visitors alike... they also host one of the favorite local restaurants: uptown fare. So, you can get a great lunch, see a great exhibit, take a great class - all right here!! super cool...

1  Thank DVgal
Reviewed December 29, 2017

During some skiing downtime, I made time to visit Kimball Art Center in its new location. The docent was very welcoming and told me helpful background on the main exhibit by a SLC artist, but I wish there were more art to view. The one main room had art on 3 walls, and that was it. On a previous visit in its former location, I feel I spent more time enjoying the exhibits. I wish Kimball Art Center the best of luck in its 3-year plan to renovate and combine with other civic arts organizations.

See more reviews
Reviewed March 3, 2017

We were staying at a condo just a short walk away from the Kimball Art Center, so I thought I'd drop in. Most of the building is occupied by working art studios, but there is a large exhibition space up front. I enjoyed both of the current exhibits (ceramics, and photos from "Big Appetites"). The people are extremely friendly and there is no charge, although donations are requested. There is also a small cafe onsite, so you can get lunch or a cup of tea at the same time.

1  Thank Wanderlust777