“Definitely Overrated!”
Review of Dixie Palms Motel

Dixie Palms Motel
Ranked #29 of 43 Hotels in St. George
Reviewed 23 November 2011

When I read the many positive reviews and saw the low price, we thought we would give this motel a try, our first mistake. The room was very small and not clean. There were food crumbs around the bed and under the table and desk and it appeared the baseboards hadn't been dusted in several months. The bathroom was extremely small, about 5'X 6' and had paint peeling from the walls. Also there was no counter tops to put any toilet articles. Yes,one can park right outside the room but be ready to get up around 6:30 AM as this is the time that most of the construction motel guests are leaving the hotel. I will say the young couple running the motel were very friendly and helpful. If you are looking for a very inexpensive place to stay and don't expect much, this would be OK but it is definitely not a 4 or 5 star motel.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Phil4545
Management56, General Manager at Dixie Palms Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2016

Thank you for posting a review. As new management, we like to read up on the comments and see what changes have been made. We are now in process of painting the walls. We have put in a shelf in the bathroom for toiletries. We also have new housekeeping staff who pride themselves in the cleanliness of the rooms. We are not a 4 or 5 star place but we don't charge you for "free breakfasts" and other amenities that most people don't use anyway.

Reviewed 10 November 2011

Clean, well-maintained, well-priced and quiet. We will definitely stay there again. We had our own instant coffee, so microwave worked fine to heat water. Walk across the street to Iceburg burger/shake joint. We dropped in mid-week without a reservation and got a great rate.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for posting a review. We are glad you enjoyed your visit. When you come see us again, you should try the restaurants in Ancestor Square. They are a 2 block stroll and have more food choices altho' Iceberg has the best over the top, thick shakes in town.

Reviewed 25 October 2011

I came to St. George for a collage reunion, and decided to give the Dixie Palm a try and I'm glad I did. Derek and Ashley Wiggins were so nice and spot on. I had read the reviews and some of the complaints were about them not having coffee. I can attest they most certainly DO, you just have to get the little coffee maker from the office. Actually, I requested one when I checked in, and they brought it to my door. They supply the coffee, and it was quite delicious for hotel coffee. I liked having the fridge and microwave in the room. The carpet looked fairly new and when I was there a big truck was coming in to deliver many new beds. The rooms are clean. The only complaint I suppose are the pillows are HORRIBLE!!! I actually had to go out and buy a new one! Maybe the management could look into upgrading their pillows since they now have beautiful new beds! Thanks again Derek and Ashley. I will certainly be back.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank jnrsparrow

Thank you for posting a review. As new a new manager, I like to read past reviews and see what changes have been made. Just to let you know, we have coffee makers and coffee in every room now. You don't have to ask anymore. I have also been replacing the older pillows. Come again soon and see the changes.

Reviewed 29 September 2011

If you are in town for the marathon, or for few days, it's the place to stay. If you wish to have most things, but functional and VERY clean, make sure you reserve here. Before coming, I have read some horror stories from the other side of the street, and some very good for this place. Very friendly staff, able to listen, and talk to. For no time I was able to get my afternoon sleep in precooled, relatively nice decorated room. The internet is very good, (so you don't have to go in the lobby like in the Mariotts), 80 TV channels to watch, fridge, micro oven, (again things that you don't have in most Mariotts) and you don't have their price too. Parking just few feet from your door, (not few floors), I can recomment this place to all the people around me. Saw one of the suites, for coming with friends and really liked it. Yes, there's no coffee, but who cares, you're on the best street in town for this. Take a walk and enjoy the nice weather in St. George! The toalet and the shower are not as tight as some said, almost like at my place, but clean and even the shower head can me adjusted. New sink with new fauset, they are renovating some of the rooms by the time it is not very busy. So, most pobably you'll end in a new room. :-) Places like this one keep the prices down, not the big chains, so we better encourage them!

Room Tip: Shop arround and talk with your friends for better deals.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank 68Peter

Thank you for posting a review. We have made several changes since your visit. As you said our Internet covers the property so you can relax in your room. All of our rooms are on the ground floor. By the way we now have a coffee maker and coffee provided in every room. No need to ask or go somewhere else. We are continually working to make our place more welcoming. We can't do anything structural but we are adding new paint to the rooms as we can during the slow season.

Reviewed 23 September 2011

We've stayed here three times now, while passing through Utah. It's an old motel with heaps of character. It's cheap and has no frills whatsoever, but it's a cool place to stay.
The welcome from the desk was extremely warm, with an quick and efficient check-in.
Our room had everything we needed, except coffee. The motel doesn't even have a communal coffee pot in the office.
There was a fridge and microwave in our room.
The rooms along the sides have parking right outside the door, but not the rooms across the back.
The bathrooms are old-fashioned and very small. Might be an issue for a disabled person but otherwise no problem.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Management56, General Manager at Dixie Palms Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2016

Thank you for your review. As a new manager I like to see the changes made before I came. We now have a coffee maker and coffee in every guest room. Come see us again soon.

Reviewed 20 September 2011

It's no great shakes, but it's very clean and the management is super friendly. You will be hard pressed to find a better deal for the money (hence four stars instead of three), as it came to forty bucks INCLUDING tax. It's perfectly adequate for a stopover in St. George, and I would stay again. Wi-Fi was completely non-functional; manager appeared to be both familiar with and embarrassed by this situation.

Room Tip: Pick one set back from road.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for posting a review. As new manager I am always looking for ways to make our guest experience better. Our WIFI is now not only functional but it seems fast as well. Come see us again soon and check out the changes.

Reviewed 8 August 2011

It was OK, very large room, could do with a refurb, and a scrub up. But it was very cheap and centrally located with plenty of places to eat nearby.

We ended up in the honeymoon suite!! What a laugh if I ended up here on a honeymoon I would rethink the marriage!

It had charm and very helpful friendly staff. A bit of a mixed bag really, but worth a go.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Management56, General Manager at Dixie Palms Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2016

Thank you for your comment. As new manager, I am always interested to see what was written about our place before I came.