New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Econo Lodge Inn & Suites

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Sandy
California
“Chritmas day 2008-last minute”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2008

I made my reservation on the road during a terrible storm-no problem. The room was cheap ($71), super quiet and clean. The front desk staff count not have been more helpful or nicer--and this was on Christmas Day and during a HUGE storm.

I did have to trot down to the desk for a cable for internet--no problem. There wasn;t a great selection of channels on the televsion and because of the storm, the pay-per-view was knocked out. (I think we got three feet of snow in an hour).

Very easy to find.

Over all, it was a great place to stay-clean, quiet and friendly--and I'm not even a fan of Comfort Inn!

• Liked — Easy to find from freeway
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
San Diego
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2008

The reviews you see elsewhere that talk about how horrible this hotel is are apparently written by people who are not used to 2-star hotels.

I live in hotels 300 days a year -- so I know them well. I do not like 2 star hotels. I also do not like 4 star hotels. 3 stars is about right for me.

This hotel is functional but minimal. There is an iron and ironing board... they work fine. There is a hair dryer... it works fine. The bed was reasonably comfortable and I did not find the rooms to be particularly dirty.

However, the hotel has a 'cheap' or tired feel to it. Signs saying "we do not accept cash"... Lack of Elevators, cheap room furnishings, a microwave or fridge are $5/night extra (each), No hot breakfast.... No desk in the room, etc. It is definitely a BUDGET experience. 2-stars all the way. (Which may be great for some folks).

The thing that I found most annoying was the Television -- the owner of the hotel (a Chinese family) have decided that decent cable channel selections are too expensive for their guests, so they have just a few stations (23 to be exact)-- and many favorites stations are missing especially fox news and the history channel.

But... it is one of the least expensive hotels in the SLC area. In that regard, you are probably getting at least what you pay for.

I do NOT recommend this hotel for romantic get-aways or for people who want to keep food in the room (no fridge) or for people who will spend a good amount of time in the room watching TV. However, for business people or skiers who will basically just use the room for sleep, it is not bad. And if you have a pet it is a great hotel.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Bad TV selection
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
Detroit, MI
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2008

I became stranded in Minneapolis due to an unexpected weather delay. I called and spoke with the manager, Nick, to tell him that I could not be able to make it. He told me that he was still going to charge me for the room because I was a "no show". I filed a complaint with his corporate customer service. They could not refund the charge. They referred the case back to the hotel. Nick sent me a letter calling me a "no show" again and still kept my money. My advice, don't book a room unless you can guarantee there will not be a weather delay!

• Stayed April 2008
Denver, CO
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2008

We were in Comfort Inn - Sandy area for three days/nights. The only nice thing about this hotel is that it is very close to Alta and Snowbird.

We were very disappointed with this hotel. The hotel was very dirty, tired, and at times questioned my safety at night when I was walking my dog.

This was one of the dirtier hotels I've ever stayed in. The carpets in my room turned the bottom of my socks black, someones left over Mexican food was left in the room (kind of kicked under the bed), worst of all we opened the bible only to find that it appeared (and smelled) like someone had defecated in the book, the soap in the shower was wrapped but looked like it had been run over by a car, and the exterior of the building was littered.

The hotel was very tired. The hotel and rooms are outdated. The carpet was fraying in places and I could see the carpet pad in places. The room heater would only work intermittently, and after a long day of skiing it was tough to get warm. Also the hotel advertises "free wireless internet" however I trouble getting a signal in most places of the hotel, including my room.

I questioned my safety at night. The hotel shares a parking lot with a night club and there was a lot shady looking people hanging out in the parking lot. However, I did see the police drive through the parking lot a couple times (which I guess is good).

There are many hotels around the 10600 block in Sandy that appear to be much nicer. They are equally close to the ski mountains, and you can walk to numerous restaurants and malls. I'll probably look to stay there next time.

• Liked — close to ski mountains
  • Disliked — one of the dirtiest hotels I've ever staying in
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank CODenver80
Asheville, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2007

This hotel is located in the parking lot of a night club. My friend and I got hoots and hollars when trying to walk our dogs at night. Hotel was not very clean either. Only stayed for one night and glad it wasn't more!

• Stayed August 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank Smessen
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2007

I was a little worried about this motel,but decided to take a chance and it turned out fine. Everything was OK or better including housekeeping, noise, continental breakfast, staff, etc. Basically a very good budget motel.

• Liked — good value
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled solo
1 Thank fromdelmar
Williamsburg, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2005

Was in SLC area x 7 nights with reservations @ this CI...cancelled and changed to another hotel after 2 nights. Dirty mattress/box springs laying out in the parking lot, lumber and debris everywhere outside. Halls never vacuumed (debris, mud in hall), soda machines all empty, rooms with old furniture/toliets being stored in them (not being used) but visible to the outside while walking to the car. Screens ripped, curtains hanging lose in some units. Pool murky, floor slimy. Breakfest was a fiasco!! Food served in a very small area, cereal on the floor, kids crawling everywhere, no breakfest help/staff for one of the days we were there and food ran out. While I was on the only "dial up" computer, overheard the front desk person say room #--- is filled (our number) then owner must have said to her, "I need that room for repairs". I overheard this and approached the desk as they were going to move us...made the decision to leave even easier. Staff was nice but had "guys" lerking around to talk to night staff. Motel is situated next to a run down night club frequented by late nighters. Overall a horrible experience...would never recommend to anyone, even my enemy!! I was very realistic about this reservation i.e. did not expect a 5 star experience but certainly did not expect a flybag hotel either!

• Stayed August 2005
5 Thank spterry
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandy
3.7 km away
3.6 km away
BEST WESTERN PLUS CottonTree Inn
1.6 km away
Hyatt House Salt Lake City/Sandy

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!