Western Heritage Museum- MOVED
Museum and Visitor Center

Reviewed August 19, 2016
James R
Corvallis, Oregon
The staff went overboard to make this a captivating experience for my 7 year old boy

Reviewed August 4, 2016
MaryD5015

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed August 19, 2016

I found the staff to be most helpful and pleasant both times I stopped in -- once on the way to Colorado, the other on the way back. The Chief Ranger went to the trouble of printing out some weather reports for me as I was planning on camping in Western Colorado that night.
On my return visit a week later, another ranger remembered and welcomed me back. She gave me directions to the library and to grocery stores, plus mentioned what was in the museum exhibits and told me I might qualify for a senior discount (50%). I gladly paid that reasonable fee and proceeded to enjoy the exhibits. Any kid who's a fan of dinosaurs would surely enjoy both the indoor and outdoor displays..

ldenzer, Exhibit Curator at Western Heritage Museum, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2016

What a nice review, just in case you are thinking you will see dinosaurs that is the Field House of Natural History down the street. We are really glad you enjoyed your visit. Come and see us at 155 East Main next time you are in town. We are the Uintah County Heritage Museum and have some great artifacts of the First Peoples and of the settlers that came to the Uinta Basin.

Reviewed August 4, 2016

I was skeptical that my 7 year old, outdoor, nature-loving grandson who had come to Utah to see dinosaurs would be very interested in this museum. However the staff did an excellent job of captivating him for a whole afternoon. They even showed him how to play the old fashioned games and we went home with many for him to learn. He even enjoyed the quilt exhibit and voted on his favorite quilt!

Reviewed June 29, 2016

There is a lot of potential with this museum, particularly the Fremont Indian Collection. Some really unusual rifles in the up stairs part. As long as they are selective in their displays, this should be a good stop.

Reviewed May 25, 2016 via mobile

I am not certain what people who rated this highly saw. It has limited material with limited info on the history of Vernal. Much of the Native American material is not even labeled as to what exactly it is. I normally like small town museums but this one was a disappointment.

1  Thank jcjr2
Management response:Responded August 8, 2016

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your visit to our museum. We recently moved and have been scrambling to get our labels and signage up. Hopefully you'll give us another shot!

Reviewed April 6, 2016

The staff was very friendly and helped set our kids up with coloring and a scavenger hunt game that they were excited to play. We all enjoyed looking through the artifacts while playing the games. The price is right...it's FREE!

Reviewed March 30, 2016

I took my grandkids, and we had a blast!! The grandkids were so intrigued by all the history. The staff was awesome, and very knowledgeable!! All of the exhibits were amazing, and

Reviewed June 7, 2015

Can't complain much,,,,,,this museum is free! People who work there were super nice and helpful...don't think it took more than an hour to look through everything

Reviewed September 29, 2014

The Western Heritage Museum is in a new building on Highway 40 next to the library. It's well worth a stop. When we visited, there were the usual displays and artifacts, a quilt show and a traveling Smithsonian exhibit. Wow! Our group of adults and young children loved each area we visited. And they had a wonderful little gift shop as well. The staff are great -- knowledgeable and passionate about their work and this museum. Don't miss this gem!

3  Thank slctravelagent
Reviewed August 24, 2014

kinda out of our way however they have some very well kept western items that you dont see now days that are looking that great,

1  Thank Carl A
Reviewed August 5, 2014

This was the last stop on our weekend getaway to Vernal. We decided to stop by in the morning before we headed home. We had six kids with us ages 3 - 11 and they all enjoyed looking at the stuff in the museum. Please note - the museum is not at the address listed on 200 S, it has moved to hwy 40 by the library, so make sure you know where you are going before you head there. There is no fee, but they do accept donations. I probably wouldn't go out of my way to go to this museum, but if you are in the area and need something to do for an hour or so it's nice.

3  Thank Angie H