“Museum and Visitor Center”
Review of Western Heritage Museum - MOVED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Western Heritage Museum
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Uintah County Heritage Museum houses a collection of western americana, American Indian object collections, pottery, baskets, arrowheads, photographs, and much more. Visit to see the famous First Lady Dolls collection. The museum is free of charge though donations are greatly appreciated and help us to curate the collections.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Stairs / lift
Reviewed 19 August 2016

I found the staff to be most helpful and pleasant both times I stopped in -- once on the way to Colorado, the other on the way back. The Chief Ranger went to the trouble of printing out some weather reports for me as I was planning on camping in Western Colorado that night.
On my return visit a week later, another ranger remembered and welcomed me back. She gave me directions to the library and to grocery stores, plus mentioned what was in the museum exhibits and told me I might qualify for a senior discount (50%). I gladly paid that reasonable fee and proceeded to enjoy the exhibits. Any kid who's a fan of dinosaurs would surely enjoy both the indoor and outdoor displays..

ldenzer, Exhibit Curator at Western Heritage Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2016

What a nice review, just in case you are thinking you will see dinosaurs that is the Field House of Natural History down the street. We are really glad you enjoyed your visit. Come and see us at 155 East Main next time you are in town. We are the Uintah County Heritage Museum and have some great artifacts of the First Peoples and of the settlers that came to the Uinta Basin.

Reviewed 4 August 2016

I was skeptical that my 7 year old, outdoor, nature-loving grandson who had come to Utah to see dinosaurs would be very interested in this museum. However the staff did an excellent job of captivating him for a whole afternoon. They even showed him how to play the old fashioned games and we went home with many for him to learn. He even enjoyed the quilt exhibit and voted on his favorite quilt!

Reviewed 29 June 2016

There is a lot of potential with this museum, particularly the Fremont Indian Collection. Some really unusual rifles in the up stairs part. As long as they are selective in their displays, this should be a good stop.

Reviewed 25 May 2016 via mobile

I am not certain what people who rated this highly saw. It has limited material with limited info on the history of Vernal. Much of the Native American material is not even labeled as to what exactly it is. I normally like small town museums but this one was a disappointment.

1  Thank jcjr2
Management response:Responded 8 August 2016

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your visit to our museum. We recently moved and have been scrambling to get our labels and signage up. Hopefully you'll give us another shot!

Reviewed 6 April 2016

The staff was very friendly and helped set our kids up with coloring and a scavenger hunt game that they were excited to play. We all enjoyed looking through the artifacts while playing the games. The price is right...it's FREE!