“Room for a lot of improvement!”

Quality Inn Stateline
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Wendover
Reviewed 9 May 2011

When we finally arrived in Wendover, we were pretty tired and just wanted to find somewhere to spend the night. The Quality Inn advertised a fair price and a hot complimentary breakfast on their neon sign so we decided to give it a try. It didn't look too bad from the road but we should have clued in the minute we met the front desk clerk. Not only was the check-in clerk totally unprofessional, the hotel manager (whom we met the next morning) was also in the same league. Neither looked like any hotel employees I've ever met...they were dressed in sweats and looked slovenly and disinterested. Our room looked as though it had been partially remodeled...the beds, carpeting and some of the furniture looked newer but the bathroom hadn't been touched yet and was definitely showing its age (rust, mineral deposits, mildew in the tile grout, water damage to the door and part of the ceiling etc.). We took the room because it was actually clean and, since we weren't planning to stay beyond one night, we just made due. The breakfast was another disappointment. I'm not sure what part of the breakfast was suppose to be hot but there really wasn't much to choose from and the coffee was horrible! I also noticed a big dead bug in the dining room. I couldn't tell for sure because it had been squashed but it looked like a very big cockroach...much like the kind you typically find in the desert...yuk! Once again, when it was brought to the manager's attention, he seemed disinterested and a bit bothered by the fact that I noticed it. Interesting business strategy...don't think we'll bother to stop in Wendover again for any reason.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SunnyCalGirl
There are newer reviews for Quality Inn Stateline

Reviewed 4 January 2011

Well, after driving 1000 miles, we were grateful to come upon a place that was open, had a room and took dogs, but what a dump! If we had not been so exhausted, we would have left immediately when we saw the room. I wish we had! We couldn’t find this hotel on Trip Advisor initially, as it was formerly named the Econolodge Stateline, so we had no idea what we were getting into. All the sign said was "The Quality Inn", so we didn't put it together. We should have looked it up by address, but we were tired and looking on an IPhone.

We tried to have compassion for these people because this town seems down and out and is filled with casinos, and they have probably taken away a lot of business from these smaller motels, but that said…keeping a motel clean and maintained is about all a motel needs to do, and this place is clearly failing to do those basic things. We paid $80 for a room that was dirty. It was not vacuumed. There were stains on the upholstery and curtains. The mirror was broken, and the bathroom floor was brown with dirt. The door lock didn’t work, the lights outside of the room door didn’t work, the key card didn’t work, the wireless didn’t work, and the room wasn’t clean. All of the security doors were propped open, and there were items scattered about the courtyard and in the lobby. This room was worth $15 tops, and I have stayed in much cleaner places in India. If you stay here, I would check everything carefully for bed bugs, and would sleep in a sleep-sack of some kind. The sheets seemed clean, but given the quality of hygiene here, I would be *very* careful. Choice Hotels needs to send in a trainer, to help these folks know how a room needs to be turned over for a customer paying $80 per night. I understand that people have different standards, but customers deserve to feel comforted, clean and safe when traveling. Yikes!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank WhirledTravels28
Reviewed 20 September 2010

I have traveled quite a bit over the years and have stayed at many, many hotels. Never, in my entire life have I had to deal with and be treated the way that I was treated at this hotel. I would NOT recommend anyone to stay here at this hotel. When we first arrived there at 2:30 in the morning we were asked to pay in advance. This is completely unheard of!!!! I have never stayed at any hotel that they asked me to pay in advance. You always pay at your time of check out. Needless to say we told the lady at the desk we were not paying until we check out. Every night we had to go and get a new key to get into our room. It was not as clean as it could have been, the employees were rude, and it was not a very pleasant stay. Then, on the last night there we were locked out of our room. When I went to get a key the clerk actually had the nerve to tell me that it wasn't their fault that we did not have the money to pay for our hotel when we first arrived. First off this was not at all the case and second of all what is it any of their business of our financial concerns. It wasn't the fact that we couldn't pay for it, it was the fact that I was not going to pay for a hotel upon my arrival. I never have and I never will pay on my first night there. We have always paid upon check out. She refused to give me my room keys unless I went ahead and paid that night. So, we unfortunately had to go ahead and pay them in order to get into our room and stay for one more night at this horrible motel. Like I said I would please ask everyone NOT to stay here. It was a horrible, horrible stay and I have never been treated so rudely as I was staying here. Not a recommended place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ArizonaTraveler23
Reviewed 17 July 2010

Driving through we needed a place that would accept a dog and we called ahead to make the reservation. I think all the hotels in this area are about the same... a little run down. I guess what really cracked me up is that the place is called the "Quality Inn" and by no means was it "quality". Ok... it used to be called the Econo Lodge and maybe they haven't had a chance to upgrade yet. The room was not fancy but looked clean. One thing that looked really bad was the side entrance door. They could at least get a garden hose and wash down the concrete and how about painting the door. The pool area although older... actually looked inviting and clean. I hope they take this advice and improve their location.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alanskimail
Reviewed 3 June 2010

Trip Advisor needs to change this to a Quality Inn.

We overnighted here on our cross country trak. The desk clerk was very pleasant and quickly had us registered and in our room. The room was clean and had everything we needed. The bed was comfortable. I don't know what the earlier problem with the pool area was but we had rooms facing the pool and it appeared well kept with clear water and no trash laying around. While we didn't swim (nobody wants to see people our age in a swimming suit) we wouldn't have had any problem with our grandkids being in it.

If you like to donate to Nevada's economy the casinos are right down the street. We prefer the quiet side and this place was just that.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2010

The room wasn't bad for the price, and did have nice bed linens plus amenities such as coffee maker, hair dryer, toiletries, etc. But the pool and courtyard area were disgusting. With proper maintenance and cleaning this place could be nice, but as of now, I'd avoid.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2009

This hotel is being rebranded into a Quality Inn. AVOID IT until they are done. This hotel has a lot of potential, but it is in very bad shape right now. The pool and inner courtyard are nice, but shabby. The exterior doors to the inner courtyard were of poor quality, showed visible damage and did not lock properly. My room on the ground floor had stained, broken and missing ceiling tiles. Dead bugs in ceiling light fixtures. Dead bugs on the floor of the bathroom. Stained carpeting. Stained and not cleaned or dusted furniture. Sticky and gross trashcans. The AC unit was loud and did not keep the room a consistent temperature.

The only plus side - and the only reason I did not immediately walk out - was the brand new bedding and mattress/box spring. It was also very cheap ($49).

The parking lot in the rear is not very well lit.

The desk staff was nice.

I did not bother with the breakfast as if the guest room bathrooms are as bad as mine was, the kitchen probably is too!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo