“A diner like a diner ought to be”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Blue Benn Diner

Blue Benn Diner
Ranked #2 of 75 Restaurants in Bennington
Price range: US$8 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Monroe, Connecticut
“A diner like a diner ought to be”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

OK - I know this one is up for debate as to how great a diner ought to be, but this humble reviewer believes that anyone looking for a REAL diner need no look further than the Blue Benn in Bennington, VT.

First, this is a Silk City diner from sometime in the 1940s. Big deal or no? It is for me - you can't beat the atmosphere that these old diners bring to the table (or counter, as it were). True, we are talking cramped - 5 people at a booth? Someone is sitting at the end in the middle of the aisle...been there and done that!

Appearances aside, the service is friendly. I read somewhere once that the servers were a little less than friendly but I've never seen that. Locals and out-of-towners (and both are easy to spot) are treated the same...it's just that the locals are known by name. I've yet to see college students treated any different either.

The food is my favorite part. I'm not sure what a previous reviewer is talking about, but then again for me, diners are breakfast places and as such, breakfast is all I will speak of. First, the sausage gravy is superb. Lots of places serve it up and it is bland. Not the Blue Benn. My father-in-law tried to eat it for breakfast AND dinner, but once the batch is done it is done...and usually early. The hash is excellent and the pancakes are huge. My son's blueberry pancakes were served one at a time - too big for the plate otherwise.

Every day it pays to look at the specials, taped on the wall. Gingerbread pancakes, cornbread french toast...all favorites. Do I like the Blue Benn? Listen, to me food is a destination in and of itself. The Blue Benn is a reason for me coming to Bennington when I have no other reason, and is reason enough for me to plan breakfast road trips that are 3 hours one-way!

• Visited April 2012

Bennington, VT
“Not what it used to be.........”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

I have the feeling this diner has a new owner. I ate here a few years ago and the food was great... this time, it was mediocre...

Visited September 2011
Scarsdale, New York
“Still Great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

I've been visiting the Blue Benn for 25 years (not very often now as I live out of state.) I love the food, the fact that favorites of mine from years ago remain unchanged, the wealth of vegetarian options, and the fabulous mix of patrons, which includes Bennington College students, factory workers and everyone in between.

Visited March 2012
USA
“Great little diner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

It's always packed, and there's a reason. The menu is extensive. The wait staff is friendly. The food is reasonably priced and very good. Overall, a great value. Just plan to wait during peak times and seasons..but things do move quickly here, so we've never waited more than 20 minutes even with 7-8 other parties in front of us.

Visited October 2011
1 Thank Ciaociao
Irondequoit, New York
“Achives the difficult task of pleasing everyone.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

The Blue Benn has become the destination of choice on my frequent drives through the area after being recommended by a local many years ago.
It is a converted diner car that is showing signs of age, and it is a little small and can be a little uncomfortable, but the food more than makes up for it. Virtually everything is posted on the wall, with a white board for specials. In fact, I had been coming here for a few years before I even learned they had an actual menu, but I've never even opened it - I have a hard enough time choosing between the items on the wall.

The BB offers a stunning variety of diner classics, and even offer options (e.g. free range eggs, gluten free bread) on top of it. The food is generally very fresh and everything I've ever had there has been real, right down to the carved turkey in my wrap tonight.

Anyone cutting across Vermont on route 7 or VT9 would be well served to wait until Bennington and stopping here for an excellent meal.