“Little gem in Burlington!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Burlington
One of a Kind Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 11 Burlington B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 26 May 2012

We had a great experience staying with Maggie who was a delightful host in her fabulously located cottage overlooking Lake Champlain. We stayed in the two bedroomed suite on the first floor. There is only one suite or you can request the cottage in the garden, a sweet looking converted garage. Our rooms were artfully decorated and though not spacious, they were fine for us and offered a wonderful view from each bedroom of the English style garden and the lake and mountains beyond. Breakfast was superb with local treats, award winning bread, jam, local granola, organic yoghurts and local cheese and juice. This is an old neighbourhood and on a quiet road yet just 10 minutes walk to the centre of Burlington's waterfront. We would love to return so my only reticence in recommending so highly is that we will not be able to get in!! Thanks to Maggie, it was a pleasure!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank HaskelUK

Reviewed 21 November 2011

We started our "leaf-peeping" visit to Vermont at Burlington. We chose 'One of a Kind' because we wanted to try something that was different from the usual chain Hotels. Something that would give us a flavour of Vermont.

We had a 6 day Holiday, and spent just one night in Burlington: oh, how we wish it had been longer!

'One of a Kind' is tucked away on the outskirts of Burlington, with stunning views over the lake. Incredibly comfortable bed. Eclectic fixtures and fittings. Wonderful breakfast (that is mostly locally-sourced). Gorgeous home-roasted coffee.

You might possibly find some of this elsewhere; but you will not find anyone like Maggie! She has created a comfortable and welcoming experience in her home, and is an entertaining and intriguing host.

We will be back.....

John & Vera

Reviewed 14 October 2011

Maggie provides a relaxed accomodation in an old building in Burlington. The floorboards creak and it's a little like staying in a friends home (only one b&b room in the house) and this is part of the charm, but it is the view that lifts this to a great recommendation. Next to the bedroom there is a separate living room to relax in though the sofa isn't overly comfortable and the bath room, while small, provides all the facilities you need, shower over bath etc.

The view from the bed through the window is amazing and sitting in the garden was one of highlights of the stay in Burlington. Maggie keeps a lovely home and provides very good quality locally sourced ingredients for breakfast.

It's a really easy 10 minute walk into the centre of Burlington and we only used our car to drive out to the Shelburne Museum while staying at Maggie's for two nights. Everywhere else in the city was easily accessible by walking from One of a Kind.

I'd recommend it for a stay in Burlington and if it's good weather make the most of the view from the garden, I think it's probably the best view of Lake Champlain you'll get. We had one day of great weather with heavy rain either side and after a sunny morning at the Shelburne Museum made the most of the view from the garden in the afternoon rather wandering around Burlington and it was a great decision.

Reviewed 8 October 2011

The B&B looks over Lake Champlain and it very serene.... made even better by the fact that the owner allowed us to sit in her garden and enjoy a bottle of wine while watching the sun set. The breakfast was very memorable - continental style, but very enjoyable. All the food was locally sourced, the Vermont Cheddar and maple syrup were particularly good. We stayed in the house and the accomodation was sufficient for what we needed. The location is great too - just a 15 minute walk to the center of Burlington, where there is an array of great restaurants and bars.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 October 2011

I stayed at the B&B in late August/early Sept 2011. Maggie was a wonderful host and went above and beyond several times (I had a bad cold when I arrived - in the midst of a hurricane- and she brought me aportable teakettle and tea; and I forgot some clothes in the dresser, which she mailed to my house for me so I didn't miss my flight). The breakfast was wonderful - fresh bread, cheese, fruit, and juice every day.

The view was GORGEOUS. Sitting in the yard, reading and watching the sailboats was so peaceful and beautiful.

Very close walk to everything.

The only things I'd say is that it would be nice to know there's no tv (not that I would have watched much, but if I'd hadn't brought my laptop I wouldn't have been able to watch any movies) and no shampoo in the bathroom. Also, as delicious as the breakfast is, by the 5th or 6th day (I stayed a week) I was ready for eggs or pancakes instead.

But overall, an absolutely wonderful stay! I would definitely go again and recommend to anyone going to Burlington on vacation.
Danielle
DC

But overall, an excellent stay and

Room Tip: If you want a small kitchen, book the garage room. If you'd rather have more space/view, book t...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank danielle l
Reviewed 4 October 2011

The Carpe Diem cottage was a great place to stay in Burlington. The cottage has a fabulous view of Lake Champlain and is only a 10min walk to the great restaurants Burlington has to offer. It is furnished very well, packing a lot into a relatively small space. However, as another reviewer has mentioned, the bed is too short for the average sized male,my husband had to spend the night with his legs stuck out of the end of the bed! The bathroom was great-powerful shower with plenty of large towels and the kitchen was very well equipped with nice touches like the old-fashioned radio in the corner. I would recommend the cottage highly-but if you are tall it may be better to book the inside rooms to avoid the short bed!

Reviewed 29 September 2011

This review is for the Carpe Diem cabin unit at One Of A Kind B&B.
We arrived on a beautiful sunny evening to stunning views (and voracious insects) and watched a beautiful sunset over the lake. It is a pity that the accommodation does not match the views. The kitchen is beautifully clean and well-equipped, breakfast was excellent. The bathroom was large, very clean and plenty of luxurious towels. However, the living/sleeping area is very small and cannot hide the fact that it is a converted garage. The easy chairs were uncomfortable and the bed, of the distressed variety, although reasonably comfortable, was of no use to someone of 6ft 3ins, as it had a foot-board with gaps not wide enough for a mans big feet to stick through.There was a table outside to eat at, but not inside, not much use in the pouring rain of next morning. The local granola was to die for though as was the apple juice.
Footnote. When I took my socks off my (big) feet that evening at a more comfortable venue, I found that the "garage floor paint" had peeled and stuck to my (big) feet!

Room Tip: Stay in the B&B!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
maggiehoney, Owner at One of a Kind Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2012

Thanks for your observations about One of a Kind b+b. I’m surprised to hear that you were surprised by the cottage. The website shows pictures of the cottage both inside and out and there is a complete written description of the cottage on my website. When people email or call, I make it clear that the cottage was once the garage to the house (but was never used as such) and that it has been completely redone w/ radiant heat in the new concrete floor. Radiant heat in concrete is a sustainable building practice in these New England climes. All of the renovation work I’ve done has been done with as many environmentally sustainable practices as possible. I am unsure how you overlooked the table for eating or writing that is inside Carpe Diem and that is pictured on my website. The late fall voracious insects were courtesy of Hurricane Irene that not only sent torrential rains to our state but, unknown to date, late fall mosquitoes. The bed is a standard American full size bed. It is seventy two inches long. I have taken your suggestion and that of another guest and removed the footboard of the bed to allow for those who like to dangle their feet over the edge unimpeded. So glad to hear you liked the locally produced granola and fresh pressed fall apple cider as I feel it important to support the local food producers.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Burlington
3.4 km away
4.6 km away
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
#2 of 12 in South Burlington

Been to One of a Kind Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!