“a clean hostel that makes you feel at home” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Burlington Hostel

The Burlington Hostel
Richmond, Virginia
“a clean hostel that makes you feel at home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2011

super clean. the staff is friendly and gives great food and activity advice. conveniently located to town and nice hiking and bike paths. definitely recommend!

• Stayed September 2011
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank a8flygirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights and the first thing we noticed when checking in was their set of rules on the wall. They were so aggressive, which was ironic because they market themselves as relaxed and carefree. One of the rules read something like "the fun is at Church St, if you're noisy or drunk you will be kicked out with no refund at anytime during the night" I felt as if I was being told off before I'd even gotten to my bed. We're by no means party animals but yet we found ourselves tip toeing around afraid to do anything! Granted it was really clean and had a great location but the strictness and vibe about it really put us off. When we left in the morning to go sight seeing we were asked where we were heading like we were children again living with overbearing parents, it was really none of their business. We were told we HAD to take our shoes off and I really wasn't keen on walking around bare footed in say the toilet. The whole thing was a bit creepy. This was one of many hostels my boyfriend and I stayed at during our 2 month trip of America and Canada and all the other hostels (hostelling international) were great, they had rules but they were explained nicely and fairly.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Chel K
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

This hostel is great, super friendly staff, very clean and enough waffles to put you into a sugar induced coma every morning!

The only down side is that there are few walls, most divisions between rooms made with curtains which creates this quite bizzarre need for all guests take a unspoken vow of silence! It is eerily quiet at times and what tends to break the silence are slightly awkward giggles between guests at the the very fact of not speaking...at...all...

But I would stay again without a seconds hesitation!

• Stayed August 2011
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
1 Thank Goalie2011
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2011

I would definitely recommend this hostel for anyone needing a safe, clean and comfortable place to stay. I was a bit apprehensive as a 40-something traveller but the staff run a very nice hostel. Alcohol and partying are not tolerated and consequently it is a calm and quiet - definitely not a "party scene". Comfortable beds, spotless shower and bathroom facilities and a nice little common kitchenette area. It is well located, within walking distance to the waterfront and restaurant, cafe areas. I will certainly stay there if I return to Burlington.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank harviet43
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

My friend and I had a really great stay at this hostel. It's different than most. Very clean, and strict quiet times. But that worked really well for us. I use hostels all the time, and I felt very comfortable here. The owner is a really nice man, who seems to genuinely care about the people who come to stay. The only thing that concerned me was there wasn't much privacy. Each room is separated not by a door, but by a curtain which is mostly see through. Even the showers had these thin curtains. But then again, for those who are very modest or shy, hostels probably aren't the best choice anyways. All in all we had a super stay!!! Wish we could have stayed longer. Lovely atmosphere :)

Room Tip: We chose a female only dorm. But it depends on your preference? there are mixed dorms also.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

This is not your typical hostel!

The Burlington Hostel is super clean, run by a very friendly staff and is in a killer location for Burlington. If you are looking for a rowdy party place this is definitely not your place. But if you need a safe place to stay for a great price this is it.

Thanks for the fabulous weekend in Burlington!

Room Tip: lady travelers can request the women's only rooms
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Leanna12
Long Island City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

I came to Burlington not knowing a soul and found the hostel right away. I was impressed with their tranquil enviornment and clean appearance. Beds and bathroom are clean and comforting. Most of all the staff and the folks that run the place are so down to earth , helpful, and kind. The evening I stayed they had a local songwriter perform and it was a nice touch to a wonderful stay. Go check it out, you won't be disappointed!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank jose g
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burlington
0.2 km away
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
#4 of 9 in Burlington
3.2 km away
BEST WESTERN PLUS Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
BEST WESTERN PLUS Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 13 in South Burlington
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,233 reviews

Been to The Burlington Hostel? Share your experiences!