“Went Back to Back”

Ranked #5 of 248 Restaurants in Burlington
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed August 28, 2018 via mobile

In Burlington for business and we found this place on a whim the first night. Oysters are out of this world and the Ribeye was fantastic. Ask for a horseradish sauce and the chef won’t disappoint! It was so good, we came back for night two. Sat at the bar and loved it. Highly, highly recommended. Easy parking across the street and spectacular fare. Can’t wait to come back!!

Reviewed August 27, 2018 via mobile

Came here last yr same time on biz never stopped thinking about how Great it was. Back tonight and loving every delicious bite. The hen of the woods toast with thick home smoked bacon and poached egg could put me into a food coma

1  Thank fposener
Reviewed August 26, 2018

We were "walk in's" and were immediately seated facing the cooking area (it was early - around 5:30 PM). The menu is eclectic and the hanger steak entree I had was phenomenal. It's a more expensive than average dinner location but was also the best I had in our 3 day stay in Burlington.

1  Thank Robert P
Reviewed August 17, 2018 via mobile

The chef clearly has tried to pay fastidious attention to everything here, from the food to the wine list to the service and the silver. Some works; some doesn't. Generally the food is great. The hanger steak was particularly delicious. The lamb sausage, however, was overwhelmed by saltiness and so I wouldn't recommend ordering it.

Service was fussy and tried to be highly choreographed, but missed too many times. Examples: cocktails arrived but those who ordered wine were out of luck; their drinks just didn't come until we reminded the waiter about them. Waited forever for food. Dessert was a exceedingly late with apologies and a comp. Coffee? Cappuccino came, but those who ordered regular coffee had to wait until, again, the waiter needed to be reminded. Another comp. All in all, "A" for effort. "C+"on execution.

2  Thank morr316
Reviewed August 13, 2018 via mobile

I recently was planning a trip to Burlington, Vermont. Two things I wanted to do was, stay on Lake Champlain and eat some local Vermont food. So I set out on this mission. Clearly nailing it I stayed right down the street at the Courtyard Marriott which was literally about 300’ away on cherry street down from Hen of the Wood. What also made this so great was Hen of the Wood came recommended by so many local people and I had know idea it was located next to my hotel when I booked my lodging.

My dinner was out of this world. My friend and I sat at the bar which was great because our service was top notch. We started out with the bread, oysters and cappo. All of it was amazing. Then we had the sharp Cabot cheese plate with the Steak Tartar. Also incredible. We enjoyed these amazing first bites with cocktails and a wonderful bottle of wine.

Finished the main course with Duck for two and then nicely capped it off with a little desert.

I am most certain that was the best meal of my summer. What an absolute treat to find this awesome restaurant. If you are planning a trip to Burlington, Vermont. Then you should put this down as a dinner spot. Might be the best food and service of your life.

2  Thank Kelsdog